Storm Digital D02 NOS DAC - Impressions
Jul 25, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #91 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roasty
can someone tell me whether buying this amp will improve my setup much?

Emu 0404 / Cambridge Audio 640c V2 -> "storm D02" --> little dot 2 ---> senn HD650/ER4P-S/MS2i/SA5000 (soon)

i mean, the soundcard and the cd player are pretty budget hifi, as is the headphone amp. that said, i'll be hoping to receive my headfive soon. or should i only consider buying the D02 once i up the level of my other components first?

Source is very important, so I'd consider getting the d02

Althought it wont be living up to it's potential without a better amp, you may as well get it now so you dont have to worry about it later.... that's my opinion anyway. i like to upgrade certain components very high so that i can continue to upgrade the rest of my setup without ever having to worry about upgrading that certain component for ages

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #92 of 114
I would be interested in the d03 though, the higher end version. For 1000 you get nice dac and for another 1000 you buy a nice transport, i bet it outperforms many if not all cd players costing the same.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #93 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
I would be interested in the d03 though, the higher end version. For 1000 you get nice dac and for another 1000 you buy a nice transport, i bet it outperforms many if not all cd players costing the same.

Agreed.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #94 of 114
Just a heads up to those interested in purchasing the D02...

If you're on the fence between this DAC and another, I think the latest "enhancements" by Ken will easily help in making that decision. I'm not going to spill the beans though, ya'll gonna have to wait
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #95 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Just a heads up to those interested in purchasing the D02...

If you're on the fence between this DAC and another, I think the latest "enhancements" by Ken will easily help in making that decision. I'm not going to spill the beans though, ya'll gonna have to wait
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't do that, please. Spill the beans
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #96 of 114
wink.gif

[size=x-small]*whistles innocently*[/size]

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #97 of 114
Ahh I can't wait, I'll spill the beans now.

Ken told me that all new orders will come with a free power cable!

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #99 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I opened the case and took a few pics. Build quality looks very good to me. Click the picture to get the high-res version.

Looking at the top surface solder is so horrible not even go thru the feedthru holes
eek.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #100 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossroadazn
Looking at the top surface solder is so horrible not even go thru the feedthru holes
eek.gif

Please repeat in english, I'd like to know what you mean.

Currently sitting next to me.

I own the D02, Gilmore Lite + DPS (burnt in), Harmon Kardon CDP (which also functions as a standalone DAC and K701 (400h+). The Zhaolu D2 is borrowed from a friend and has the CS4398 chips, no discrete amp upgrade. I'll have it about 3 days (the weekend's just beginning). I intend to listen as much as humanly possible. Will let you know how it goes. Ignore the K701 comfort 'mod'... it's just a handtowel taped on lol. I haven't thought of anything better for meow.

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #101 of 114
Come on meow, I read this message and I am laughing my ass off right meow! Meow for the dude commenting on the solder of the D02, it could be considered to be better on a thick pcb not to over heat the components and traces by trying to get too much solder on the contacts. Meow, if you flipped the board over and the same was apparent this would be a problem. I assume that a guy who can design and build a DAC of this nature and be designing two more very high end DACs, he would also know how to solder. I am eagerly awaiting Ken's future endeavors so much I wish I could buy one right meow! Meow, if any of you are wondering why the word meow seems out of place here, go watch the movie Super Troopers right meow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind

I own the D02, Gilmore Lite + DPS (burnt in), Harmon Kardon CDP (which also functions as a standalone DAC and K701 (400h+). The Zhaolu D2 is borrowed from a friend and has the CS4398 chips, no discrete amp upgrade. I'll have it about 3 days (the weekend's just beginning). I intend to listen as much as humanly possible. Will let you know how it goes. Ignore the K701 comfort 'mod'... it's just a handtowel taped on lol. I haven't thought of anything better for meow.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #102 of 114
Are you drinking milk from a saucer? Are you jumping around all nimbly bimbly?

MEOW!

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #103 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind

I'de be interested to hear how they compare.
Keep us posted

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #104 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
Come on meow, I read this message and I am laughing my ass off right meow! Meow for the dude commenting on the solder of the D02, it could be considered to be better on a thick pcb not to over heat the components and traces by trying to get too much solder on the contacts. Meow, if you flipped the board over and the same was apparent this would be a problem. I assume that a guy who can design and build a DAC of this nature and be designing two more very high end DACs, he would also know how to solder. I am eagerly awaiting Ken's future endeavors so much I wish I could buy one right meow! Meow, if any of you are wondering why the word meow seems out of place here, go watch the movie Super Troopers right meow!

See you on the
blink.gif
MEOW side of the moon!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back