Storm Digital D02 NOS DAC - Impressions
May 16, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #61 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind

It has three modes.

AC + charge: It uses AC power and charges the battery at the same time.
battery: It uses only battery power now (well AC power for the screen).
off + charge: Now it's off and charges the battery at the same time.

May 16, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #62 of 114
HeHe, just ordered mine along with a Squeezebox 3.
biggrin.gif

After reading Akwok, Patu and now Elnero impressions just could not resist it.

Shall post pics when they turn up and maybe some thoughts on the sound, although have not owned anything like this before so can't really compare !!

Went for the black one

I forget to ask him about the mains for the UK, do you know if I will need a converter or will Ken spec it for the UK ?

Can't wait !!!

May 16, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #64 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
It has three modes.

AC + charge: It uses AC power and charges the battery at the same time.
battery: It uses only battery power now (well AC power for the screen).
off + charge: Now it's off and charges the battery at the same time.

For battery mode, can it play music without the screen? As in, if I don't give it AC power, will it still play music?
If it won't play music, I'm going to shoot off an email to the maker to see if I can somehow get a "special" version.

I'm very interested in the D02, but to serve as a portable DAC. I won't be able to give it any AC power.

May 16, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #65 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
For battery mode, can it play music without the screen? As in, if I don't give it AC power, will it still play music?
If it won't play music, I'm going to shoot off an email to the maker to see if I can somehow get a "special" version.

I'm very interested in the D02, but to serve as a portable DAC. I won't be able to give it any AC power.

Portable DAC? You do realize this thing weighs around 25 lbs don't you?

And no, the only time the screen is off is when it's in off + charge mode and as stated earlier it must be plugged in to work.

May 16, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #66 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Portable DAC? You do realize this thing weighs around 25 lbs don't you?

Yes I realize it is 25lbs. However, it is relatively small for a home DAC, and I believe I can find a bookbag that it will fit in.
I'm a student, so I'm used to carrying heavy loads.
25 lbs is a few textbooks, nothing major.

May 16, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #67 of 114
Quote:

Yes I realize it is 25lbs. However, it is relatively small for a home DAC, and I believe I can find a bookbag that it will fit in.

LMAO

Headroom Micro-DAC. Don't do your back in man! There's much more fun and horizontal pastimes intended for that lol

May 16, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #68 of 114
Quote:

Ken says he just needs to add a single wire, and it can be done. So if you want it, you've got it.

He also says you're Schwarzenegger.

May 16, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #69 of 114
Quote:

I don't know where you study but I feel sorry for you if you have to lug around so much books.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #70 of 114
Just got an update from Storm - due to overwhelming demand, the matte-style finish of the original D02 is back again (not too many people liked the shiny finish, but I prefer it more.. oh well).

Of course, the matte and shiny finishes are only available for the silver colour.

May 17, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #72 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Any news on the baby D02?
icon10.gif

Should be 'soon'.. a month?

May 25, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #73 of 114
So, if you want to get the DAC with a toslink input, all you have to do is ask and it's not a problem? Im really wanting to order this unit here in a few weeks...

May 25, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #74 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
So, if you want to get the DAC with a toslink input, all you have to do is ask and it's not a problem? Im really wanting to order this unit here in a few weeks...

All new D02s have toslink as standard, you won't need to ask.

May 25, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #75 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
All new D02s have toslink as standard, you won't need to ask.

Yup, mine has both toslink and coax with a selector switch on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back