Storm Digital D02 NOS DAC - Impressions
May 12, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #46 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
It looks sooo nice
biggrin.gif
I see a baby do2 + headfive + k701 as my future bedroom setup
biggrin.gif

Is there any change in the soundstage wideness yet? That would be the only dealbreaker for me
evil_smiley.gif

Hmm

With the OIIs + 007t + D02, the imaging and soundstage was the best I've heard yet, out of all the other stuff I've owned. So, I don't believe the D02's width to be a bottleneck, no.

But then again, the stuff I've owned beforehand aren't too well known for their soundstaging capabilities.. (L3000 + DHA3000, HE60 + 007t), aside from the HD650.

May 12, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #47 of 114
Battery is very nice also. You can basically just always use the battery when you're listening. It should last over 10 hours for straight listening and it charges back to full when you don't listen (over night for example). So you don't have to worry about power cables with this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been now listening like over an hour and it's still 95% full according to display.

May 14, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #48 of 114
Patu, it still needs to be plugged into the wall to be turned on doesn't it? Or can it run not connected to the wall for a period? I thought it was AC operation only, with the battery used as a charged buffer so you get cleaner power, and that AC was necessary for any operation at all...

May 14, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #49 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
Patu, it still needs to be plugged into the wall to be turned on doesn't it? Or can it run not connected to the wall for a period? I thought it was AC operation only, with the battery used as a charged buffer so you get cleaner power, and that AC was necessary for any operation at all...

Yes power cord must be connected all the time. I'm not sure how it works.

May 14, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #50 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
So you don't have to worry about power cables with this one.

OK, thanks. AKWOK explains it in his other thread, It's just that the comment above sounded like it could run off battery alone
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #51 of 114
Quote:

OK, thanks. AKWOK explains it in his other thread, It's just that the comment above sounded like it could run off battery alone
smily_headphones1.gif

Well it won't matter what crappy power cable you use to charge the battery up.

May 14, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #52 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
It looks sooo nice
biggrin.gif
I see a baby do2 + headfive + k701 as my future bedroom setup
biggrin.gif

Is there any change in the soundstage wideness yet? That would be the only dealbreaker for me
evil_smiley.gif

Since my initial comments regarding width the D02 has opened up quite a bit to the point I wouldn't pin point it as a problem and I'm not even near the recommended burn-in time so I expect it may even improve more.

May 14, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #53 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Since my initial comments regarding width the D02 has opened up quite a bit to the point I wouldn't pin point it as a problem and I'm not even near the recommended burn-in time so I expect it may even improve more.

Same here. Just told about it to akwok yesterday but forgot to post here.

May 14, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #54 of 114
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Well its probably very easy to mod if it uses a battery internally to feed the dac and just uses constant power to recharge. It's probably because the internal battery is very small but using something like a rechargeable SLA battery, maybe exterior is there is not enough room... Would be quite interesting to run it off battery, this way you can use it anywhere in the house or outside, not portable but transportable!

May 14, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #55 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
It's probably because the internal battery is very small but using something like a rechargeable SLA battery...

It already has an 7.2Ah SLA.. How much do you want?

May 14, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #56 of 114
Quote:

It's probably because the internal battery is very small but using something like a rechargeable SLA battery, maybe exterior is there is not enough room...

The internal battery is quite big. Hypothetically, you could probably run the D02 without AC power for 10 hours; but the D02 wasn't designed to be used that way.

May 14, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #57 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
The internal battery is quite big. Hypothetically, you could probably run the D02 without AC power for 10 hours; but the D02 wasn't designed to be used that way.

It seems kind of counter-intuitive too; if you're using the DAC, you'll have a power socket nearby. Unless you're camping. But if you're camping with a DAC, then uhh..

For portable use, have fun lugging around 30 lbs!

Although it really would be cool to see someone with a D02 chained around his neck..

May 15, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #58 of 114
Ken said that the screen in front of the DAC still always uses AC power even if you're in battery mode.

May 15, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #59 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
It seems kind of counter-intuitive too; if you're using the DAC, you'll have a power socket nearby. Unless you're camping. But if you're camping with a DAC, then uhh..

For portable use, have fun lugging around 30 lbs!

Although it really would be cool to see someone with a D02 chained around his neck..

It's not just a matter of "portable" use, it's more like some have multiple audio rigs in their house or like to take their portable computer outside in the backyard for a relaxing session, so for this kind of use, it would be interesting not to have to run an extension cord. It's basically just a nice to have type of thing. If it already runs on a big battery inside, I wonder why they designed it so that it must be plugged at the same time.

May 16, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #60 of 114
Quote:

It's not just a matter of "portable" use, it's more like some have multiple audio rigs in their house or like to take their portable computer outside in the backyard for a relaxing session, so for this kind of use, it would be interesting not to have to run an extension cord. It's basically just a nice to have type of thing. If it already runs on a big battery inside, I wonder why they designed it so that it must be plugged at the same time.

The battery is there because running anything off a battery gives cleaner power and therefore a better sound. The ideal way to use the D02 is to be running in battery mode, ie the audio circuit is running off the battery and the LCD is running off AC (since who cares how clean the LCDs power is). I believe the D02 also slowly charges the battery while running in this mode. The other mode is straight AC only, which I expect is only entered if the battery has been completely drained (hard to do according to AKWOK). The third mode is "off" in which case no sound is required and the battery charges (so it's more like standby).

D02 owners: if any of that is wrong please correct me.

So that's why it's got a battery even though it uses AC power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back