Storm Digital D02 NOS DAC - Impressions
May 25, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #76 of 114
Thats awesome. Thanks

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #77 of 114
I opened the case and took a few pics. Build quality looks very good to me. Click the picture to get the high-res version.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #78 of 114
Gotta get me one of these
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Gotta get me one of these
tongue.gif

Join the club.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #81 of 114
Few more paychecks and itll be mine
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #82 of 114
Patu said:
I opened the case and took a few pics. Build quality looks very good to me. Click the picture to get the high-res version.

Hi Patu,

When did you get your DAC or are these pictures from Ken?

I see that it is sporting ClarityCaps instead of the SOLENS, I hope you like them as I put Ken onto these caps. He is building mine with the top of range SA types, which I think will just about fit into the case.

It appears that Ken prefers them as well.

Cheers

John (UK)

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #83 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydeecee
Hi Patu,

When did you get your DAC or are these pictures from Ken?

I see that it is sporting ClarityCaps instead of the SOLENS, I hope you like them as I put Ken onto these caps. He is building mine with the top of range SA types, which I think will just about fit into the case.

It appears that Ken prefers them as well.

Cheers

John (UK)

Hi John

As I said I opened the case myself and took the pictures myself.

In first post I also told when I got the dac. That would be pretty much one month ago.

I enjoy the dac very much. And thanks for recommending these caps to Ken. I don't know how Solen sounds though so hard to comment on that subject.
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #85 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Yes I realize it is 25lbs. However, it is relatively small for a home DAC, and I believe I can find a bookbag that it will fit in.
I'm a student, so I'm used to carrying heavy loads.
25 lbs is a few textbooks, nothing major.

eep peemes, storm is majorly heavy! I'd see if you can get ken to stick it in a lighter case or something if you're desperate for an awesome portable dac. I work as a labourer and you couldn't pay me to use storm portably!

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #86 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
eep peemes, storm is majorly heavy! I'd see if you can get ken to stick it in a lighter case or something if you're desperate for an awesome portable dac. I work as a labourer and you couldn't pay me to use storm portably!

I just talked with Ken and he said he's developing a lighter model of D02 which doesn't have battery and is in lighter case.

Jul 24, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #87 of 114
Hi,

I just got my D02 today from the dealer here in Singapore.

It's a beautiful set and I like it when I read about the unit over in this forum.

I did not know that this set can be found in Singapore until last week.

I already have a Bel Canto DAC2 few months ago & when I read more about the NOS DAC, I could not help myself not to personally experience the sound.

The set has been on for 2 hours and I like the sound!! I hope to learn more among the D02 users here.

Regards

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #88 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I just talked with Ken and he said he's developing a lighter model of D02 which doesn't have battery and is in lighter case.

Well thats no use for portable is it
tongue.gif

If the unit can be used without AC (as ken indicated it could be with easy modding) then it would be useful for sitting outside with a laptop. But i'd definately not want to carry it around for any significant time

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #90 of 114
can someone tell me whether buying this amp will improve my setup much?

Emu 0404 / Cambridge Audio 640c V2 -> "storm D02" --> little dot 2 ---> senn HD650/ER4P-S/MS2i/SA5000 (soon)

i mean, the soundcard and the cd player are pretty budget hifi, as is the headphone amp. that said, i'll be hoping to receive my headfive soon. or should i only consider buying the D02 once i up the level of my other components first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back