Stories of FiiO FH5s--From @FiiO Kang
May 24, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 17
Chapter 5 Good design is an art that serves functions

The appearance of a product gives the first impression for users, so it is so vital during R&D. With the development of individual needs, manufactures are starting to attach great importance to the appearance design of their products increasingly. In front of so many similar products, an excellent appearance design can grant the product distinctive characteristics, which even represents the style of a brand.

"Form follows function" is the basic concept of appearance design. The styling of the product must reflect function and achieve natural harmony with it, so that they can create a more valuable aesthetic. A serious follow to this concept helps the FH5s win wide recognition from users!

As an earphone, wearing comfort is quite important. A good wearing design can not only improve the sense of comfort, but also provide a better fit to create a better acoustic space and improve sound quality. The external cavity of the FH5s is based on carefully-designed curves. In other words, it is a modeling manner that allows the earphone shell to be shaped at will. The benefit is that every curve connects with each other completely smoothly yet with a softer and more comfortable wearing experience.

The design of the faceplate is the essence of the FH5s. It continues the same design language with 3D textures as FiiO's other earphones. The faceplate was inspired by "dragon scales" with a layered design, giving the entire earphones a powerful and stunning look. The golden steel mesh embedded in the layered faceplate not only shows a better stereo aesthetic for the faceplate, but also is the window of the semi-open acoustic rear cavity, which is a perfect combination of art and function. The processing of the faceplate was extremely hard. A CNC machine working continuously for 22 hours can only process 20 pairs of faceplates per day. At present, we have invested 6 CNC machines for the production of it. This is also the main reason why the FH5s will be currently in short supply.

In order to place a large 12mm bass dynamic driver inside the FH5s, we designed the MMCX connector in a raised manner at the front cavity. This small difference also led to a big increase in processing difficulty and cost. But in FiiO's project management, sound quality and ID design are far more prior to cost and schedule.

The color scheme of the FH5s was also very particular, of which the Black and Gold is the most popular, representing classic, luxuriousness, nobility, sophistication and reliability. While Silver and Gold is an expression of vitality, youth, tension, positiveness, and passion. This silver in front of us is not just ordinary silver. It was a titanium silver going through several trials before a final determination. The processing was quite hard that only had less than a 30 percent pass rate at the beginning for the anodizing.

An excellent earphone design focuses first on a comfortable wearing experience and great sound quality, while beauty and gorgeousness come second. A good design is an art that serves functions. The diligent design of the FH5s finally won the heart of its users. Never give in and pursue perfection are our attitude towards every product from the beginning to the end.

6e40f4fegy1gqi5cv6fb1j20m80cijsv.jpg6e40f4fegy1gqi5cv74f8j20j60aswg6.jpg6e40f4fegy1gqi5cv87olj21900u0wh2.jpg
This is really interesting. For what it's worth, I have been really enjoying the FH5s for several days exclusively at my desktop. Great bass extension, loads of detail and good resolution with the same great fit/comfort. This is like the grown-up version of FH3 and y'all know how I love that!

May 25, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #17 of 17
This is really interesting. For what it's worth, I have been really enjoying the FH5s for several days exclusively at my desktop. Great bass extension, loads of detail and good resolution with the same great fit/comfort. This is like the grown-up version of FH3 and y'all know how I love that!
Glad to hear about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back