STOP TELLING PEOPLE YOU CAN'T TELL 192AAC VS LOSSLESS ILL PROVE IT
Feb 18, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #406 of 463
Care to share his setup? I mean, with a UE10 you're gonna hear every detail. Look at my setup, though: DAC -> (no amp) -> DT990? Not really uber-detailed, although I'm still working on finding an amp. Different strokes for different folks...these details that make lossy "lifeless" really aren't going to jump out to maybe 80% at the very least of those newcomers to Head-Fi.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #407 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to share his setup? I mean, with a UE10 you're gonna hear every detail. Look at my setup, though: DAC -> (no amp) -> DT990? Not really uber-detailed, although I'm still working on finding an amp. Different strokes for different folks...these details that make lossy "lifeless" really aren't going to jump out to maybe 80% at the very least of those newcomers to Head-Fi.

My rig 5.5GENIPOD>CYRODOCK>RSA HORNET>UE10's

I am not trying to be a role model here, I was challenged by FEB and feel that I did not get any respect from my fellow head-fi friends at 12/14 wthout using my rig,

I not telling new commers to buy expensive gear. I telling people dont tell me what my ears can hear!

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #409 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're telling others what their ears can hear...

edit: rather, you're changing what the point of this topic is every other page

QFT. TR49, it's kinda frustrating, actually..."Drink the Koolaid"? I'm pretty firmly in the "high lossy" camp, so we'll agree to disagree.

Care to step up to 320 vs. FLAC?

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #410 of 463
Uh... does the guy PMing you know about placebo at all?
Even with UE10 and the best amp in the world [size=x-large]320kpbs and lossless will have less than 70% accuracy[/size]. Out of 3 sessions, get the average out of that. I'll eat a [size=large]whole family sized chicken[/size] if you get more than that [size=medium]WITH PROOF[/size] (like.. a video of you doing it, or at least a screenshot)
Unlike some people i'll actually do it and show proof

Ps. do you understand it now? I'm speaking your language

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #411 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh... does the guy PMing you know about placebo at all?
Even with UE10 and the best amp in the world [size=x-large]320kpbs and lossless will have less than 70% accuracy[/size]. Out of 3 sessions, get the average out of that. I'll eat a [size=large]whole family sized chicken[/size] if you get more than that [size=medium]WITH PROOF[/size] (like.. a video of you doing it, or at least a screenshot)
Unlike some people i'll actually do it and show proof

Ps. do you understand it now? I'm speaking your language

Placebo? Try listening to your ES2's with 320 AAC for 2 months, then suddenly switch to lossless. Suddenly, as in like the 10 minutes it took to put 130 songs of lossless onto my Ipod. With an imodded Ipod and a Hornet, this was anything but placebo. It was like listening to a different rig. I've had enough experience to know the difference. Scientific data is impressive, but my ears tell me differently.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #412 of 463
Well.. i don't really know how good an imodded ipod is..
But a standard 5g ipod isn't that great as a source compared to most non-portable sources, and i'm sure it masks some details that would've been the difference between lossless and mp3/aac

Tell you what, when my constantine comes i'll redo the ABX and we'll see what happens, but this defeats the whole purpose somehow

Either way though.. i don't think i'll convert to lossless, not enough space

*PS* my argument was not that they sound exactly the same, or that compressed sound better. I just don't think the extra size (what is it, 3x?) is worth it, or whether the difference is 'day and night' , especially in a portable situation with a subpar source..

At home i almost exclusively listen to cds..

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #413 of 463
Why the hell hasn't this thread died already
confused.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #414 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd rather have thousands of songs in -v0 than hundreds in lossless, to be honest... the difference is really only worth it if you're using a really nice DAC (at LEAST a HeadRoom micro DAC...)

I tend to agree.

I use mp3 VBR quality 0 for the tracks on my iPod and my travel notebook. To my ears they sound very good.

But at home, I use lossless exclusively.

I imagine that there are quite a few who have made the same compromise.

I realize that I'm sacrificing a certain amount of quality, but I'm doing so with open eyes because I do travel a lot and it's important to me to have as much music with me as possible.

I guess the difference is I never have and never will claim that there is no difference, I just claim that there are times when compressed files really are "good enough" if encoded with quality in mind.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #415 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Placebo? Try listening to your ES2's with 320 AAC for 2 months, then suddenly switch to lossless. Suddenly, as in like the 10 minutes it took to put 130 songs of lossless onto my Ipod. With an imodded Ipod and a Hornet, this was anything but placebo.

You're right. It could have been a difference in volume.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #416 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not trying to be a role model here, I was challenged by FEB and feel that I did not get any respect from my fellow head-fi friends at 12/14 wthout using my rig,

Any respect you might have gained from that accomplishment was quickly lost by your constant ranting and raving in this thread and the others that you recently started.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #417 of 463
I agree with the first post, it's lossless, nothing missing just pure.

AAC is ok if your on the move and only have a shuffle, and using 256 AAC on the shuffle is again ok.

But for real music pleasure, lossless is ideal.

I would rather have a few hundred songs lossless in my iPod rather than a few 1000 in AAC, before iPod had lossless i did have 1000s and now with just a few 100 I'm much happier
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #418 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off I made the claim that with MY RIG I could get 10/10. I used a stock HP soundcard with my UE-10's and got 14/16 which is better than anyone has seen or claimed to have seen. And thats not good enough for you!

I will have to look back at the test results bu I believe at one point I was 11/11 or 12/12 not sure! But still

Lets see your Test!

Well then, are you not testing with your rig, because you know you wont get it?

10/11 != 100%

This isn't about my test, I never claimed it was. I doubt I could hear the diffeence, so I don't use lossless portably. This is about the fact that you said one thing, could not back it up, then backed out of your deal. Put up, or shut up.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #420 of 463
Pfffff I can't believe this thread still excists!!!
Maybe you shouldn't think about renaming the thread but totally whipe it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back