STOP TELLING PEOPLE YOU CAN'T TELL 192AAC VS LOSSLESS ILL PROVE IT
Feb 16, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #361 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the previous poster that suggested that Trose should do the honorable thing and eat his UE-10's. 10/10 means PERFECT...Good thing you didn't place this bet with your local bookie.

this has been now said several times: trose said he would do this, if he would have done the test with the UE10 and his normal listening rig, which he didn't.
He used an onboard sound card and some different hp's.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #362 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of 16 tests he have picked the right one (A or B = X) 14 times. Resulting in a 0.2% chance that he is guessing!

Ok then I understand.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #363 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this has been now said several times: trose said he would do this, if he would have done the test with the UE10 and his normal listening rig, which he didn't.
He used an onboard sound card and some different hp's.

Yeah, we all know what they say about excuses.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #364 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok then I understand.

Excellent!

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #366 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only lossless will do.

Ditto! At least for serious listening sessions
I listen at lot to 192kbps MP3 streams from di.fm though, and it is fine for background music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #370 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this paper explains what has happened to those who can't tell MP3's from Lossless.

http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sc...er/052969.html

The writer has very little grasp of the English language, and less still of science.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #371 of 463
Feb 16, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #372 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto! At least for serious listening sessions
I listen at lot to 192kbps MP3 streams from di.fm though, and it is fine for background music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ditto!

[size=large]GO TEAM D.I. !!!![/size]

By the way, I use 320kbps MP3s on my Zune for three reasons:

1) I can hear the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps.
2) The WMA/AAC decoder on the Zune sounds different and inferior (can hear it in all possible conditions, bitrates, headphones, etc).
3) Lossless is not an option on the Zune!

Oh, and:

[size=large]GO TEAM D.I. !!!![/size]

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #373 of 463
I think the reason why most people still stick with lossy is a lack of options. Most DAP manufacturers make the assumption that the masses are thick. "Mp3 should be adequate for them" they perhaps say. And that is one main reason why I think it's a shame for any one who claims to be "technical" be using the same player that "Auntie Nelly" got for her birthday.
blink.gif
The usual unconfigurable inflexible proprietry format, non standard crappy players!

As a matter of principle I now only play flac. Occassionaly some old mp3 albums I have ripped back to flac will show up. Trust me I can tell the difference immedeatly. It may be very difficult to describe exactly what the differences are which I think will always be an issue but after listening to the lossless album for such a long time the quality is immedeatly obvious. On other occasions I can also tell the difference between my ogg albums and the flac counterparts. It seems the discrepancy arises when people are put on the spot and asked to make a judgement.

With 60 gigs I do have enough albums for my train journeys in flac but I guess most people have less and they have to stick with lossy.
Once again it's the lack of options. for example how many players play flac using the original manufacturers firmware. Only 2 i know of. iaudio and Zen. How appalling is that?
If you had a terabyte of space on your DAP which you used for music only, what will be your argument to play lossy formats? Not much.
We should seek out and lobby manufacturers who are not fearful of creating players for the hobbyist.

Take an example the issue of IEMs and the ability of the listener to pick out ambient noise by choice. I solved this quite easily. Assigning a button on rockbox to take me to the recording screen. When I need to talk to a colleague or about to go to work, with my phones on I jump to the recording screen and I can talk normally and hear everything around me. In fact sometimes clearer because of the microphone. Once again good design with more options. I dont need to spend all that money on Shure E500PTH or at least they cant make me pay for "push to hear" technology if I think their headphone is crap.
How many players come with a builtin microphone ..... or should we say how many listeners buy players with a microphone? very few..
I rest my case.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #374 of 463
Well that and the current 30gb standard (with only a handful of 60/80gb, which even then isn't enough) is too small for lossless. I don't care about a certain argument, for me its 'quantity of songs > quality of songs'. Hell, its still 'the music > quality' if I was made to choose. Still, as it it MP3 320 for me = lets rock 'n' roll!

Danny, your argument is very strange. If 200gb 1.8" drives were available to mass manufacture and were cheap, everyone would use them! Also, the question of a microphone. well not everyone wants to pay for a feature they would necessarily use. You're very idealistic, but idealistic and catering to the minority doesn't bring in the green. But on the bright side, larger HD sizes are inevitable and even Apple and Microsoft offer lossless, so its all good... eventually

Users who are viewing this thread

Back