STOP TELLING PEOPLE YOU CAN'T TELL 192AAC VS LOSSLESS ILL PROVE IT
Feb 15, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #256 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ill take my ball and go HOME!!!!!!

I will I will I will!!!!!!!

I would think it would be even tougher to tell. Did you try the ABX test?

Just curious?

No, no ABX test , just a simple back-and-forth listen. I've previously tried to discern compressed(HQ) to lossless...never could. I don't know how to do that ABX test but I don't really care to learn, simply because I know I won't hear a difference. If I compared 128 kbps then I could start to bet money.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #257 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My sf.5's will be here on Friday (replacements from UE - my cracked). I listen to them a decent amount with my ipods (nano 4GB 1st gen, 60GB video) - but just found the flip side mode before I send them back to UE. They fit so much better that way . . . so in many ways I am getting new IEM's.

I have a large (at least I think it is large) colleciton of music - maybe 150+ GB of files. A good number of live stuff (phish, dead, DMB, Primus, etc) along with metal, classical, pop, jazz, rap and odds and ends. Some is lossless (flac) and some is probably as bad as 96k (probably stuff from back in the day of file sharing - most of which I have got rid of). Lots of stuff from itunes.
What I do not have is multiple copies of the same stuff. So I am ripping several of my favorite CDs now . . . in various levels from 128k to lossless. Some CDs - Trey Anastasio, Beck, Iron Maiden . . . and some others (my CDs are in boxes that I have not touched in a while - these were some on top).

I am going to see what my very untrained ears can hear with my (an objective view) decent setup - ipod to UE SF.5's. I am a huge music fan and have always liked above average equipment in my car, home, etc - but well short of anything audiophile level. I can hear things the average joe cannot hear (like how bad sat radio sounds) but am deaf compared to many of you. I am generally curious if I will be able to tell a difference, and if so, how much.

I will report back later.

The abx is enlightening. I dont rip everything in Lossless. Some CD's just dont have the quality to begin with. But take some cd's you feel are really well recorded and have someone take the same track and rip it for you in what you feel is an acceptable compressed format and one lossless and do the ABX.

If you cant tell save the space. If you can tell and want to enjoy the best you ears are capable of then Lossless is for you!

Try the ABX on this thread for fun!

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #258 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no ABX test , just a simple back-and-forth listen. I've previously tried to discern compressed(HQ) to lossless...never could. I don't know how to do that ABX test but I don't really care to learn, simply because I know I won't hear a difference. If I compared 128 kbps then I could start to bet money.

A back and forth listen isnt really gonna help you. Especially if you know which track is which. I felt the same way you do until I did the test.

It's not hard to figure out if you change you mind and want to try PM me and I will let you know more. It's a simple download called foobar.

The basics for anyone else that wants to try it is this:
Download Foobar it's in this link.
download the test files in this thread there are 3 sets
start foobar
add two of tracks you want to compare (ones end with A one ends with B)
select the two tracks (right click and select abx comparison)
a screen will come up that gives you 4 options
A B
X Y
The two tracks are the A and the B
The X and Y are mixed and constantly change
Listen to track A B X Y and compare (you can go back to any at any time)
you have to choose if X=A and Y=B
or X=B and Y=A
sounds confusng but its not.
select you choice then click next trial
it will mix up X and Y randomly and you choose again
do it at least 16 times to do a good comparison (you can be just lucky and get 4/4 for example but odds are low you will guess right 16 times)
at the end you can save a log as text file and post on the site!

Its easier when you are looking at it!

Try it its fun!

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #259 of 463
Quote:

A back and forth listen isnt really gonna help you. Especially if you know which track is which. I felt the same way you do until I did the test.

It's not hard to figure out if you change you mind and want to try PM me and I will let you know more. It's a simple download called foobar...

I do use Foobar. I will try this tomorrow when I have more time. I'll probably use my USB DAC/amp with DT-880 for my best chance at it.

thanks

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #261 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do use Foobar. I will try this tomorrow when I have more time. I'll probably use my USB DAC/amp with DT-880 for my best chance at it.

thanks

I wish I could do that. I went straight from Headphone out NO AMP NO DAC!

CRAP OUTPUT!
still 14/16 though

I want to try on my rig I think it would be easier. But I use Mac. Is there foobar for mac? the sound card might be better than my Office HP!

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #263 of 463
BeatDeadHorse.gif

And that's all I have to say.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #264 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by loquito316 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BeatDeadHorse.gif

And that's all I have to say.

And I'm Not Nice?

I'm just answering questions.

Take the test! or are you afraid to find out everything you have believed is not what is seems?????

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #266 of 463
yup, i noticed quite a diff between 192kbps vbr aac and 256kbps just on my shuffle with ksc75's

go lossless or go home!

if for nothing else, know that you'll be converting from one file to another again and again as standards change, and you don't want to go from mp3 to ogg, to aac, to atrac, to whatever, losing something each time.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #268 of 463
Quote:

I wish I could do that. I went straight from Headphone out NO AMP NO DAC!

CRAP OUTPUT!
still 14/16 though

I want to try on my rig I think it would be easier. But I use Mac. Is there foobar for mac? the sound card might be better than my Office HP!

no. foobar not necessary...the soundcard on the mac is perfectly adequate and pumps out bit-perfect sound through the optical out if you want to use an external DAC.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #269 of 463
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no. foobar not necessary...the soundcard on the mac is perfectly adequate and pumps out bit-perfect sound through the optical out if you want to use an external DAC.

I didnt know that however I dont own a Dac. Maybe I can borrow one!

But how am I gonna do a true ABX without foobar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back