Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Dec 1, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #76 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about you stop making bandwidth sucking rant posts/threads, lol.

People such as yourself, along with those who don't know how to punch a hole in a ballot are the reason making fun of Floridians has become a national pastime.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #77 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People such as yourself, along with those who don't know how to punch a hole in a ballot are the reason making fun of Floridians has become a national pastime.

Well, and people like these:

Dozens Call Police to Claim Lost Marijuana

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #78 of 316
Don't be hating on Florida. Remember, we're hosting CanJam '08
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #79 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You maybe right but we throw one heck of a meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be hating on Florida. Remember, we're hosting CanJam '08
biggrin.gif

We are?
confused.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #80 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that will make any member of team girl-fi totally take anything he says seriously. Those words were creepy. ...

A lot of other people are reading these threads.

He may think that he's being an ass to only one person, but he's being an ass to everyone who reads the thread, including me.

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #81 of 316
Buy Grados, or no buy AKGs, well I changed my mind buy Senns. Well I don't know buy something. I recommend buying audio gear. Audio gear rulez! :wink:

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #82 of 316
Good rant Boomana. I am guilty of recommending products without hearing them, but I also state it clearly that this is just what I have read of that certain product and might be an option to gather information of. Hyping the product that "thiz iz teh awesomenez" without hearing is plain wrong.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #85 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to have to explain to me the problem in presenting an evaluation based on product specifications. That'd be like saying that you can't judge how fast a car is based on reported 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. While I agree that the components in the circuit don't tell the whole story they certainly tell part of it. It is certainly a little different between amps and headphones in this regard, some measure of how an amp will sound can be gathered from it's circuit and components. It's impossible to judge a headphone this way.

Example: a Cmoy-type circuit, regardless of how well implemented is always going to have sonic limitations based on it's current delivery and voltage swing ability. There's no way around that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some specs may be quite informative. I would hesitate to try an amp that had 10% distortion when other amps of the same output have 0.01% and would not touch a CD player that had a 3DB roll off at 20K regardless of how much it cost. Maybe specs dont always help too much, the specs for CD players are so good that maybe a SNR of 96db isnt really noticeably worse than a SNR of 102db (technically twice as good) . Dont even get me started on jitter measurements
wink.gif

I am talking about simply discarding a product solely based on specs. Using a car as an example it does not truly give you a feel at how nimble the car is making lane changes or how comfortable the seats are in a long trip. There are way to many nuances in music listening including how a piece of gear synergizes or not w/ the equipment you have.

If I went by specs along I should like the HD580/600. However after owning an HD580 and two HD600 w/ many different after market cables I can honestly say that w/ the rest of my gear and w/ my ears they are not for me. Yet many others love this headphone.

Same w/ the GS1000, if I read the specs I should love it, and being a major Grado fan should be more of a reason for me to love the GS1000. Yet after buying it and burning it for over 300 hours I could not stand it. It had lots of bass and treble and no midrange. Yet my RS-1, RS-2 and SR-125 sound much better.

This is what I was trying to convey on why going on specs along is not and should not be the final decision maker. Hope this puts my comment in the correct perspective.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #86 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am talking about simply discarding a product solely based on specs. Using a car as an example it does not truly give you a feel at how nimble the car is making lane changes or how comfortable the seats are in a long trip. There are way to many nuances in music listening including how a piece of gear synergizes or not w/ the equipment you have.

If I went by specs along I should like the HD580/600. However after owning an HD580 and two HD600 w/ many different after market cables I can honestly say that w/ the rest of my gear and w/ my ears they are not for me. Yet many others love this headphone.

Same w/ the GS1000, if I read the specs I should love it, and being a major Grado fan should be more of a reason for me to love the GS1000. Yet after buying it and burning it for over 300 hours I could not stand it. It had lots of bass and treble and no midrange. Yet my RS-1, RS-2 and SR-125 sound much better.

This is what I was trying to convey on why going on specs along is not and should not be the final decision maker. Hope this puts my comment in the correct perspective.

Miguel, this is a great example of selective reading, Nate pointed out that specs were not definative but informative and certian designs that have been proven to be comprimised are not going to soundthe best. Also not sure what even your point is with the headphone paragraph it was made crystal clear that HP specs are not as informative. I for one commend members with the technical knowledge I lack pointing out design flaws or MOT BS.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #87 of 316
where is my picture of the donkey wearing a hat when I need it damn. Oh and this guy in no way shape or form represents the Florida crew. Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about you stop making bandwidth sucking rant posts/threads, lol.

I'll just cut/paste what I put in another thread

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #88 of 316
Good points, folks, and I'm glad this topic is being discussed. I rely on Head-Fi when buying products and the reviews and comments are important to me.

As for commenting on gear, I won't comment on what I don't own. Except for the Triport. Please forgive me.
biggrin.gif

If you think someone should look into a product you have not heard, just write something like, "I have not heard Product X, but from what I've read about it, you might be interested. Take a look at what the owners are saying." That's honest and helpful to others. You don't have to be silent about what you haven't heard, just qualify it.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #89 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we'll this snip does say a lot, it is not about being immature or adolescent, I think you have cornered the market on these two categories already.
It is about the REAL community of people that have become friends, respect each other and come together 4-5 times a year because while we like the hobby we like each other more.

When you are old or mature enough to graduate from the internet world where you feel you reputation, by the way a reputation is what people think about you, is not important and want to be taken seriously please come to a few meets with the full crowd. We actually are nice people and people and usually a few people fly in for the event because they are fun. Until then please enjoy your internet reality where things like reputation don't matter to you.

regards
John

I'm not quite sure if your completely understanding the direction of my post, or misunderstood it. I think that you know/understand there is a difference between the way people act on here and how they act in reality. The "reputation" I was referring to was "online" credibility, if that makes sense.

There are people here on Head-Fi I keep fairly regular contact with, and can attest to my personality. My nonchallant, have fun attitude in reality is the same as it is here on HF. I just can't stand people who are either full of themselves, or put up some sort of fassaud on an internet community or yearn for some sense of belonging or attention, whether indirectly or directly.

I have more than a decent reputation in "reality" as opposed to an internet community, whether it be here or otherwise. Anybody who represents themselves solely online is either extremely introverted and needs to get out more, or really needs to touch base with reality outside of a keyboard and an internet connection.

People are going to think what they want. But there seems to be more mindless people on here than most any other community I've been with, and have noticed the few that have any sway, have a huge bandwagon behind them, regardless of how they act. If somebody came on here and said "X was great", depending on who it came from, even if it sucked ass would be the new FOTM, and anybody who states otherwise is shunned.

I have nothing against Boomana, and never said anything ill towards her until it was directed at me first. And frankly, have no idea where it came from. I never even stated I heard said amp, I said I heard ONE of his products and judging by the reviews of everybody else who HAS heard them and if that product I did hear is of ANY indication of the rest of his line, it should sound great. Funny how that was taken out of context.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good points, folks, and I'm glad this topic is being discussed. I rely on Head-Fi when buying products and the reviews and comments are important to me.

As for commenting on gear, I won't comment on what I don't own. Except for the Triport. Please forgive me.
biggrin.gif

If you think someone should look into a product you have not heard, just write something like, "I have not heard Product X, but from what I've read about it, you might be interested. Take a look at what the owners are saying." That's honest and helpful to others. You don't have to be silent about what you haven't heard, just qualify it.

I completely agree. I HAVE heard one of his products, and the person that owned the Solo I heard said he had one of his phono products as well and couldn't say enough about it. Thus me making the statement I did, which is exactly what you said how it should be worded in your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back