Stocking, panties, spandex and HD600
Apr 23, 2002 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Lizard_1

Head-Fier
I removed the foam covering the transducer on the HD600 and the bass was lacking, or overwhelmed by the increase in brightness. Anyone tried replacing these foams with something else?

Apr 23, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Replacing them with something else would degrade sound, and decrease comfort. Why the hell would anyone want to do that?

Same reason why some would replace the covering of their loudspeakers or do without the foamies on the MX500.

Apr 23, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 24
If they want uncomfortable and bright, get something else.
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Lizard
I removed the foam covering the transducer on the HD600 and the bass was lacking, or overwhelmed by the increase in brightness. Anyone tried replacing these foams with something else?

Yes. I'll assume you mean the oval foam pieces that sit over the driver under the pads. I actually cut some pieces of speaker grill foam into the same shape/thickness and tried those. This foam was a bit stiffer and not as soft as the stock ones. The sound was a bit less laid back and boring, the upper mids were a bit more lively. The veiling was less apparent and the sound was a bit more transparent.

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
If they want uncomfortable and bright, get something else.
tongue.gif

it won't necessarily be either of those things. Without any foam at all it will be, yes, but if you replace it with something thinner you will still have padding and maybe a more pleasing sound for some people (more treble, less bass).

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 24
I didn't notice anything when I took out the foam portion, but I did notice ALOT when I took out that thin 'cloth' stuff that's infront of the drivers. I think that's what REALLY makes the sound of the HD600. It's kinda like a 2nd diaphram. The drivers themselves don't sound special when they're just sitting there by themselves.

Sorry, I can't think of anything to replace the foam. As Beagle mentioned, trying out different speaker cloth may do the trick. Don't worry, you're not the only one who took apart the HD600
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Lizard
Stocking, panties, spandex and HD600, uh?

Man, my wife cracks up every time she sees me wearing my K1000s. I can just imagine her reaction if I started wearing that get-up.
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
way to ruined your headphones guys!
redface.gif

Not, that it matters, once you buy these things you can do what you like to them. It may be painful to read for us owners who take such great care of our gear, but we will get over it.

Ruin my headphones? No. The pads snap on and off and the piece of foam just lies there. There's nothing to ruin.

Apr 24, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 24
Whew! I was scared to open this one at work!
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 24
how exactly do the pads "snap off"? I've got a pair of HD580s here and I'd like to mess with this if possible.

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
how exactly do the pads "snap off"? I've got a pair of HD580s here and I'd like to mess with this if possible.

Take a hold of the earpiece in one hand, and with the other, grip one part of the earpad "donut" and firmly but smoothly pull it out. It might seem like you'll be pulling too hard, but eventually it'll snap out and then it's rather easy to take the pad off. Remember to press firmly all around the earcup when putting them back in, as sometimes most of the earcup will be snapped in except for one little portion, and I suppose that could degrade the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back