Stock D2000 v. Stock D5000
Sep 13, 2008 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
After a long and fulfilling time spent with the Denon AH-D2000, I recently acquired the D5000.

In short, though perhaps not as pleasingly forward as the D2000, the D5000 offer more detail, better resolution/refinement across the frequency bands (bass, for example, sounds much more articulate), a more 3-dimensional headspace (with appreciably better front-to-back dimensionality), purer tones and more natural and completely-rendered timbres (bells, woodwinds, brass, piano, etc., sound more lifelike with the D5000).

The D5000 are still undergoing "burn-in," and have currently accrued about 150 hours, allocated to approximately equal parts of music and pink noise. Already they show great potential. The D2000 sound a touch "cleaner" right now, but I'm quite sure that with another few hundred hours the D5000 will uniformly surpass the D2000.

Well, I had hoped to have the D2000 APS V3 recabled for a second a/b with the D5000, but recabling costs look prohibitive (and irrecoverable). Instead, I am planning to sell the D2000 and put the proceeds toward getting some 18AWG UP-OCC copper and soliciting a DIYer to recable the K501. : )

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 10
I just got my hands on the Denon D2000 headphones and was very impressed with the sound and comfort of this well made unit. However, it was obvious right off the bat that the bass was a bit boomy. In fact, that was a serious consideration in deciding to return the phones and try out other models. After a bit of experimenting, I discovered a quick fix for this problem. I lifted the bottom of the ear pads a bit to allow air space and voila! the boom and thump disappeared, and the treble opened up considerably. Apparently the problem is the enclosed air space. I just taped the headphone into position where the phones rock in the harness , so that the phones rested mainly on the above ear part of the pads, with just a bit of openness on the bottom. I think it dramatically improved these headphones in more than one way. Try it out.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubroni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my hands on the Denon D2000 headphones and was very impressed with the sound and comfort of this well made unit. However, it was obvious right off the bat that the bass was a bit boomy. In fact, that was a serious consideration in deciding to return the phones and try out other models. After a bit of experimenting, I discovered a quick fix for this problem. I lifted the bottom of the ear pads a bit to allow air space and voila! the boom and thump disappeared, and the treble opened up considerably. Apparently the problem is the enclosed air space. I just taped the headphone into position where the phones rock in the harness , so that the phones rested mainly on the above ear part of the pads, with just a bit of openness on the bottom. I think it dramatically improved these headphones in more than one way. Try it out.

You can have that much easier:
mod.jpg

The more cellulose (e.g.handkerchief) you wrap and the thicker it gets the more bass you get. Easy, quick and very cheap mod. Just add layer by layer to you bulge of cellulose until you find the desired bass volume.

And I strongly disagree on the D5000 being better then the D2000. The D5000 sounds different. Not better. That of course doesn't mean that you can't like one more and the other less. But from the technical point of view I feel like they are very, very close.

m00h

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any more impressions pataburd? did the d5k finally surpass the d2ks? How is the value factor on the d2k vs the d5k?

These comparative impressions are quite consistent across just about every type of music I tried while a/b-ing the D2000 and D5000. More body, detail, dimensionality and definition from the D5000.

In terms of cost-to-degree-of-improvement ratio, we're in the dodgy area of diminishing returns (where the plot of (y) % improvement vs. (x) dollars spent behaves logarithmically) with the D5000. From a purely dollar value standpoint, the D2000 are the clear winner, IMHO. That said, however, and at twice the price, the D5000's approximately 50% improvement over the D2000, sonically, is worth the price to me. : )

Don't get me wrong, in some respects I still prefer the D2000 (e.g. for their more up front and fresh character, liveliness and energy), but in more respects, and rather quickly, too, I have come to prefer the D5000 (although I admit to still being in the "honeymoon" stage with the D5000).

Unquestionably, IMM and TME, the D5000 resolve more detail and produce more accurate and rounded timbres than the D2000. For example, listening to bells, woodblocks, gongs, etc., gives the nod in timbral "realism" to the D5000. Soundstage, while more up-front with the D2000, is flatter and certainly not as layered as the D5000.

Still, between the D5000 and the K501, I tend to prefer the K501 for certain genres. : )

IMM=in my mind
TME=to my ears

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 10
I think the D5000 are marginally "brighter" than the HD600.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would you say the d5000s are still brighter than the hd600s though?

IMHE, the D5000 generate more treble energy than the HD600, and also resolve more high frequency detail than the HD600.

When I a/b-ed the HD600 and D2000, the Denon were definitely the better resolving of the two.

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 10
I too, used to own the AH-D2000's and have since replaced them with the
AH-D5000's. I agree completely that they are more refined in their sound (the 2000's being a little grainy). Everything is system specific of course but I am glad I purchased the 5000's (they do love tubes). My trusty HD600's (ZuMobius) are my only other cans (and my amp can drive OTL for those and Trans mode for the 5000's - truly the best of both worlds. I do love the way the Denon's feel - they are the most comfortable can I have ever worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back