still very picky, need help narrowing down, in the UK
Aug 14, 2011 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

leoniedelt

100+ Head-Fier
Right. I have narrowed my choices down to these, i think.

audio technica ath t300
bose AE2
denon ahd1100
creative aurana live
sony mdr-v6
sony zx700
shure srh440 / 240

Of these, i have personally tried on the Bose AE2 and love its comfort. I'm trying to keep from buying the Bose cos HeadFi universally says they're crap, but so far their comfort is unmatched..........

I have problems with pain in these places:
pain across the top of my head (with my current sony mdr 570LP)
pain under my ears (with my husband's superlux HD681 cos they're just so big)
pain across the tops of my ears as they are crushed onto my glasses arms (with my on-ear sony 570LPs)
pain across my skull like a vise grip (with my old Behringer HPS5000, hence i got rid of them, too much clamp)

I listen to rock and oldies and tv shows on my laptop. My main sources of music are my nokia n8 or my laptop.

Comfort is the number ONE priority - sound is secondary. That said, i dont need a lot of bass, i'm not interested in huge bassy noises. I'm an REM, Queen, Pulp, U2, 70s oldies, country, etc, kind of girl.

I will be wanting portability, one sided cable (not Y), thicker band across the top for comfort, closed design because i'll be in the library sometimes, and over ear, not on ear.

So. Suggestions out of these? Trying to keep it under £100 if poss, happy to consider used ones!

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 13
ack, i done it again. I went up to Pcworld which is about twenty minute walk from my house, to look and see which models they had, etc. None of the other shops were open on a Sunday.

They had two pairs of Senns (HD205 and the little PXwhatevers) out and a naff pair of Sony V300s to play with. Nothing else grabbed my attention - there were Denons in their packaging but none on display for me to play with.

I asked one of the guys there where all their higher end stuff was, and he said there was little on offer, but there was a BOSE shop 2 doors down... and they were open on Sunday...

so i went for a mooch, and lo! there they were, AE2s. And i played with them again, and i fell in love a second time. I also played with a noise cancellation pair - £279 or summat. Very swish, but i'd have no use for the noise cancellation, that was really deafening! But impressive!!!

The AE2 were the nicest thing i've ever put on my head, again. Not tight around my ears. Not clampy or vise-grippy. Not hard on the top of my head. Not painful under my ear/jaw. Entirely surrounding my ear, not on it. Very soft with several axes for the cup to move, so it was a perfect fit.

I think that's it decided. From the Bose shop, which i can walk to (!!!!). I'm chuffed and thrilled. Now i just need to save up for it. !

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 13
Shame, if you went to the BOSE shop last week I'm sure you could have got a free pair.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 13
You can also cross the Shures from your list, as comfort is not their particular strong suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back