Still can't decide on some head/ear-phones $10-65 range
May 27, 2005 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mysteriouskk

New Head-Fier
I've been reading a lot of the posts here, but I still can't decide on a winner. Right now I want some headphones or earphones that will sound well with my Zen Micro. So far, for earphones, I narrowed it down to the Sony MDR-EX71/ or 81s, or Shure's E2C. Is it worth paying $30 more for the Shures?

On the headphones side, the Koss KSC-75s, seem to be decent enough. Also any Sennheiser is probably decent as well.

Anyway, I think I'm heading for some earphones, so any more advice would be great. Thanks so much.
600smile.gif

May 27, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 8
I have both Shures and KSC-35 and they both sound great. However the supplied tips for E2c's are really uncomfy unless you like buying more foamies. I ordered some Extra soft sleeves.

May 27, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 8
used SR60
used K240s
KSC75/35
e2c should be an option ONLY if you need isolation, there are MUCH better sounding cans out there for the $$$.

May 27, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, since Lini seems to be away at the moment let me throw the Labtec Elite-840 (aka Creative HQ-1300) into the mix. When I first got these I was a little disappointed. They sounded thin and bass shy. As they burned in they started to smooth out but still didn't have enough bass (alright, I'm a basshead, there are you happy now?). Then I decided to try using them with the 75ohm adapter that I use with my KSC35/75. WOW! Where was all that bass hiding? And it's good bass. Well extended but not boomy (ok, I did EQ the bass up just slightly but I EQ the bass up on almost all of my headphone including the KSC35/75). Mids and Highs are clear and well balanced without sounding bright at all. At this point I prefer them to my KSC35/75 (not as much bass but better quality bass, better balance between the mids and highs), my HD497's (more forward and lively, more fun) and my Beyer DT231's (more airy and natural sounding). My SR-80's w/ flat pads are pretty much better at everything than these but the Elite-840's stomp the snot out of the Grado's with bowl pads (to be fair, I HATE bowl pads).

My only complaint (and it a minor one) would have to be the comfort. They aren't horribly uncomfortable (like bowl pads, did I mention that I really HATE bowl pads?) but they are supraural and I prefer circumaural and I'm pretty spoiled with the HD590's. After a few hours my ears do start hurting a bit.

I know the adapter doubles the price but you can still get both for under $50 and I think you would be hard pressed to find anything better at that price.

May 27, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 8
My recommendation:
KSC-35/75.

The e2c's seem to be too middle-of-the-road now. If you need isolation, you'd be better off starting with the Panasonic HN060 or the Koss "Plug." If you're concerned about quality of sound- the e3c are probably the best entry-level performers for the $.

However, I couldn't agree with Prototype X2 and kramer5150 more- if you don't need isolation, you can get much higher-quality sound for the money.

May 27, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 8
i know i can be damn fickle sometimes. but considering that i've had KSC-35s pleasure my lobes for about the length of time it took me to post about 4000 posts without wavering a bit, while my home cans have changed like a rotating door, i don't think you can go wrong with those cans for portable purposes!

Edit - Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back