Steven Wilson — The Raven That Refused To Sing (and Other Stories)
Jan 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
This thread is devoted to the forthcoming album by Steven Wilson on February 25th.

On Facebook SW posted that the album is strictly audiophile quality as it contains no limiting or dynamic compression.

I ordered the deluxe set which was a costly $92 including shipping and am anxiously awaiting it. However I can confirm that the audio quality and album content are superb (perhaps the best audio quality he's had to date) as I've already heard it. Alan Parsons did a fantastic job engineering it.

If you haven't yet heard it (I'm not sure how it leaked so early and don't advocate listening to leaks unless you've already paid for the album) you will truly enjoy it. It's a technical and sonic masterpiece from SW and his band. I'm looking forward to receiving my deluxe set in 40 days from now.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

He's a music genius, yes.  But he's also a dick in person.

I'd have to say that this goes against everything I've ever heard or read about SW.  I have a friend who has met him several times and SW has always been gracious and taken time to chat and sign autographs.

Maybe he was just a dick to you because you happened to meet him on a bad day.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 89
I'd have to say that this goes against everything I've ever heard or read about SW.  I have a friend who has met him several times and SW has always been gracious and taken time to chat and sign autographs.

Maybe he was just a dick to you because you happened to meet him on a bad day.

It's a long story but you'll just have to take my word on this, or don't.

And another thing.... Do you know why Chris Maitland was kicked out of the band? He slammed SW against a wall, perhaps because SW is just a dick.

I could probably dig up the emails (stored on an old hard drive) that I exchanged with SW eleven years ago before In Absentia was released, but it would be pointless. Perhaps he's grown up and isn't a dick anymore, but if you heard the story I have a feeling you or anyone else would agree.

But I made this thread to discuss the album which is superb, not to discuss his mental state. It's quite refreshing to hear some new prog rock that isn't dynamically compressed in any way. The 320kbps version sounds better than any 24/48 or 24/96 lossless version of any of his previous material which is really saying something.

Alan Parsons worked with the Beatles and Pink Floyd. Now he's working with SW and the results are nothing short of genius.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 89
Quote:
It's a long story but you'll just have to take my word on this, or don't.

And another thing.... Do you know why Chris Maitland was kicked out of the band? He slammed SW against a wall, perhaps because SW is just a dick.

I could probably dig up the emails (stored on an old hard drive) that I exchanged with SW eleven years ago before In Absentia was released, but it would be pointless. Perhaps he's grown up and isn't a dick anymore, but if you heard the story I have a feeling you or anyone else would agree.

But I made this thread to discuss the album which is superb, not to discuss his mental state. It's quite refreshing to hear some new prog rock that isn't dynamically compressed in any way. The 320kbps version sounds better than any 24/48 or 24/96 lossless version of any of his previous material which is really saying something.

Alan Parsons worked with the Beatles and Pink Floyd. Now he's working with SW and the results are nothing short of genius.

If that story about Chris Maitland is true, we should be grateful that SW is a dick!

Chris was awesome, but Gavin Harrison is THE MAN!!!  Perhaps the best drummer in the history of humanity.  (Just my opinion of course.)

My intention was not to call your honesty into question, just to say that I've never heard any similar stories from any other sources.

If SW is in fact a dick, I can live with that, I still consider him a Genius with a capital G!

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 89
Quote:
BTW, Chris is the drummer on the new Nosound album.  http://nosound.net/

Yeah, I know, and he also played on the Blackfield album (quite surprisingly), as well as with Kino, and Guilt Machine with Arjen Anthony Lucassen.

I don't really care much for Nosound though, nor Pineapple Thief (also conveniently with the same initials as Porcupine Tree).  They sound like low-grade PT wannabes (imo).

BTW:  I'm also going to switch to the Raven album cover art for the time being, since I haven't changed my avatar in ages.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 89
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back