Stereophile goes back to '91 to revisit the HP1
Dec 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Prepare to feel old - really old ...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/grado-hp-1-headphones

Other than the odd review from Wes Philips, Stereophile havent spent a lot of time exploring the headphone world - obviously, that all changed with the establishment of Inner Fidelity, but you wont find John Atkinson reviewing too many headphones in 2012.

Enjoy.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Given that anyone serious enough about headphones to buy a pair of HP1s in 1991 would have been at least in their mid-20s, its 'old' by Gen Y standards. I was at University in 91 and I dont remember *anyone* wearing 'cool' headphones anywhere on campus - to be honest, I didnt spend much time noticing what the guys were wearing anyway. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 7
^Because... it was published over 20 years ago.
tongue.gif

They did the same treatment with the Orpheus and ESP950 reviews, both times before IF was launched though. Fine reviews, certainly worth the time reading.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Now I do feel old with all of you talking about how an article published 20yrs ago is so old...I'm 36, lol.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 7
Those of us who have witnessed the *massive* growth in this 'niche within a niche', and the incredible array of new product released over the last 3 or so years, will know that the HP1 was released to a very different (and much smaller ..) group of enthusiasts. Ask yourself what 1991 looked like - portable CDPs (!) and the cassette walkman, nothing resembling a 'smartphone' (remember the old 'brick' phones ?), the 'World Wide Web' still finding it's mass market - so many things we take for granted now just didn't exist in 1991. It also heralded a decade of takeovers that saw some famous names in audio completely disappear,  and many of the surviiving brands used on sub-standard plastic components that no-one wants to remember. I could go on, but I suspect that most Gen Y's have tweets to attend to - C'est La Vie. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back