Stereophile 2002 recommended list
Sep 20, 2002 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dariusf

1000+ Head-Fier
Stereophile just did the 2002 recommended list. Guess what, they only included Grado 125 model %$%*# Why would you include only the low end product of a particular company? Maybe they don't want readers to know about the higher end models?

Sep 21, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 25
What?
mad.gif
Huh?

Sep 21, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 25
In my experience, Stereophile consistently overhypes products. Their rating system is completely off the wall. They never under rate anything, but they consistently over rate stuff. Some of the stuff they rated as Class A, I found unlistenable. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Absolute Sound is much more critical, but they're so off the wall in terms of the stuff they review that no one can afford it. Strangely enough, people who can afford it, can't hear the difference.

Sep 21, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 25
Yes, $33,000 for a couple of monoblocks
rolleyes.gif
My Proton AA-2120 dual monoblock while I'm sure doesn't sound as good retails for $600 I was actually surprised that BOSE wasn't on the list. I guess they didn't pay for any ads in the magazine
rolleyes.gif

I'm way over frustrated with the audio magazines I subscribe to at least till my subscriptions run out. Just don't see the point anymore.

Sep 21, 2002 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 25
This topic has been debated a lot over at AA. I feel that for the moderately priced items in Hi-fi land, forums are the best place for info. Audio mags need to do more comparison reviews instead of "This product is exceptional!!! Class A++++ and worth every penny of its 743000000000000 price tag."

I am often after the biggest and bestest sound out there; however, I am quickly changing my ways to form a new purchasing system: the best bang for my buck. If the audio mags can't help me out at all (giving me synergistic pairings from $1000-$10000 for a total system for example) then I don't feel they add anything to my life.

Sep 21, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 25
Zanth,

I completely agree with you. Reviews are worth anything only if they're comparative reviews. After all, they go out of their way to point to a particular product as reference quality. That's great, so now, I think they should use that product as a point of reference for all reviews. So, even if they're reviewing a $600 amp, they should still compare it to a gazillion dollar reference in addition to the better products within the price category of the product reviewed. I think that type of methodology would add real value and provide the readers with a fairly accurate guide to how various components REALLY sound.

Sep 21, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 25
As KR said, if they haven't reveiwed something in a while, they drop it from the list until they can hear it again.

As for "comparative" reviews, I agree. One thing I've noticed about Stereophile is that in their budget component reviews they've really started to do this. For example, last month they reviewed a pair of sub-$300 speakers, and in the review they compared them to all the other sub-$300 speakers they liked.

Sep 21, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

As KR said, if they haven't reveiwed something in a while, they drop it from the list until they can hear it again.

As they should, it would be the same as one of us recommending something we heard years ago and haven't heard since, I mean just think about what you thought sounded good when you started here compared to want you think sounds good today.

Quote:

As for "comparative" reviews, I agree. One thing I've noticed about Stereophile is that in their budget component reviews they've really started to do this. For example, last month they reviewed a pair of sub-$300 speakers, and in the review they compared them to all the other sub-$300 speakers they liked.

They seem to be listening to what the fans want as they have been doing a lot more budget reviews with the comparative take.

Of course they can't stop reviewing money no object items, or they just wouldn't be Stereophile anymore
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 25
In order to promote our hobby and flex our collective muscle
cool.gif
, I propose we go after Stereophile en masse to demand a brand-new "headphone and headphone amp shoot-out" article.

I would be happy to organize this effort, if there is interest expressed. As a group, we should decide which headphones to include and which amps to include in the article(s).

I believe that if we pool our resources, and focus our energy, we could easily get an article or two written. I also believe they would be happy to diuscuss Head-Fi in said article, bringing more fresh newbies into our snare.
wink.gif
This community is a genuine phenomenon and deserves coverage in the audio rags.

What say you? If there's interest, I'll start a new thread in the Members Lounge and we'll figure out how to organize.

markl

Sep 21, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 25
You guys should check out a Canadian Hi-Fi Magazine called UHF or Ultra High Fidelity. They have three reference systems and do reviews in comparison to those. They also tend do reviews of amps one month, speakers another, etc... Giving comparisons to all under review as well as to the reference system. The listening is done as a panel of, if I remember correctly, four people. At the end each gives a brief summary of their feelings on the product. They also have some very informative articles and a kind of help desk as well. Check out their website Link

Edit: And they sell neat stuff as well as some recordings on the website.

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 25
Count me in!
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 23, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 25
If this is supposed to be a recommended list then listing only the lower end product of a particular manufacturer is misleading to readers and not fair to the manufacturer. Its like comparing luxury automobiles and only listing BMWs 3 series while listing all the top of the line Mercedes and Lexus. Which car maker now looks the best. I understand that they can't list models or brands they did not review but if they want to compile and present to the readers a more useful recommendation list then they should take the time and the effort to review comparable products.

bifcake
I totally agree with you

Zanth

Quote:

best bang for my buck

Thats definitely the way to go. Its amazing the kind of quality setup one can assemble on the budget.

Quote:

I don't feel they add anything to my life.

Thats my exact take on it. Sure its nice to read about the top of the line creations or at least top of the price list. It gets very old really fast. When I subscribed to this and other audio magazines I was excited when a new issue came in the mail. Wow look at all this great hardware. But after few issues its more of the same. Hardware I will NEVER be able to afford. I just don't understand HOW they plan on keeping the subscribers? Who will continue reading this stuff? How many 'millionaire' audiophiles can there really be? A magazine should be allot more then just the WOW factor. Informative articles, tips, in depth discussions on varies aspects, comparative reviews. Product shootouts like comparing 10 CD players, reviews at varies price point etc. As it is now, its just a waste of my time.

markl

I'm in
smily_headphones1.gif
I will be sending out email to them about my thoughts.

Good thing we have good forums like this one
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 25
I really like Stereophile and I don't think they should review too much of the lower end stuff.

For me it's reading pleasure and I'm not looking at the reviews for making a purchasing decision. I find it much more entertaining to read a review about a $29,000 phono preamp than a review about a $1,000 preamp although the $1,000 is the league I'm playing in.
It's the same as with the sport car nuts: You like to read about the Ferraris, Lambourghinis etc. even if you know you can never afford one.

If you'd like to find out about the gear you and I can afford, go on the web!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back