Stereolab 3 for 1 box set
Aug 18, 2002 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
has anyone heard this new stereolab box set yet? what i want to know is, have these been remastered or are they the same discs as the originals? thanks.

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest some Stereolab albums that I could check out.
I don't think I'm ready for the box set yet.
thanks,
md

Aug 21, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 7
hi md,
that's ok, i got an answer on the stereolab forum (they are not remastered).

a good introduction to the groop would be "emperor tomato ketchup". the original double album (vinyl) is the best, followed by the cd, but avoid the single album release from electra. it has a good mix of the lab's pop and experimental songs.

i'm also partial to:

mars audiac quintet: the lab in fun mode

transient random noise bursts with announcements: murky, experimental, lots of droning; my favorite lab album

sound-dust: their latest, wonderful goofy music, my favorite headphone cd

dots and loops: another production triumph (on vinyl; i haven't heard the cd). this album is often overlooked but is still great.

aluminum tunes: if you become a groopie this box set is required. it has the lab's rare b-sides and singles, and some of their best music.

honestly i'm a stereolab whore, i like everything they've released. and if you have an analog rig, the lab has you covered. you can find their most recent albums new on 180g vinyl, and their older stuff on colored vinyl and special 45rpm 12 inchers. the lab sounds best on vinyl, but get the uhf u.k. releases and avoid the electra re-releases.

Oct 27, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Redshifter, your PMs are full!
I just got my Emperor Tomato Ketchup...but it is the Elektra release. Are the uhf releases on cd? Where can you get them?
thanks,
md

Oct 27, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 7
hmmm,
i found the electra vinyl to be lacking, but the cd was ok. all of my uhf stereolab is on vinyl, and i'm not sure if uhf is released on cd. for cd i wouldn't worry as much, they are all pretty similar.

i hope you like etk! on october 29th there is a 2 cd set of stereolab's bbc sessions arriving in the u.s.a. i am very excited about this and of course will be getting it. also, some great 'lab fans in the u.k. have put together a 3 cd set of stereolab live shows from the beginning of their career to now. i REALLY can't wait for that one. i'll keep you posted.

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks for the info...I plan on learning french as I am an art major.
Stereolab is cool!
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back