Stereo Times Review of Portal Panache
post-184647
Post #1 of 11

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
Jon Gale, who is around here somewhere and posted here about the Portal before, has completed his review of the Portal Panache for Stereo Times.

It's located here:
http://www.stereotimes.com/amp092002a.shtm

post-184650
Post #3 of 11

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
Reaction score
Quote:

Unfortunately, this review, at least in regard to the headphone section, will have to be left a bit unfinished. The Panache sports a very purist headphone section that consists of a simple protection device that taps straight off the speaker binding posts. As I happen to be blessed with a dedicated listening space, I simply have no use for "cans" and have none on hand for evaluation.

post-184651
Post #4 of 11

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
Quote:

I saw the thread from before and even participated in it. The Stereo Times review was only just published this Friday, Sept. 20. I thought some of you might be interested.

KR
I really think that was borderline ****ty of Jon Gale, by the way.

post-184653
Post #5 of 11

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
Reaction score
I know, Kelly. I was just posting a reference to that thread to provide other Head-Fier's the opportunity to read some of Mr. Gale's preliminary impressions.

post-184734
Post #6 of 11

Gallaine

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I admit that when I read the article on Saturday and realized that the author was the same poster here on head-fi I was taken aback a little. However, after re-reading his posts he did state that he was a reviewer and the webmaster for the company making the Portal Panache. I guess after that I decided to give him a break. Maybe I am missing the point.

post-184764
Post #7 of 11

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
He's the webmaster for the company making the Portal Panache and he didn't disclose this in his review for Stereo Times??? If that's true (and it seems to be, from what John posted here), the whole thing stinks...

Portal has even reproduced the review on their website for the Panache, but not disclosed anything about his being on their payroll. Hmmm...

post-184840
Post #8 of 11

kelly

Reaction score
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when they're journamists. (Remind me to rant about journalists when you have a few days to spare.) John may not have had a choice about disclosing his doing the web site for Portal and he may only do work for them on a contact basis. I don't know what the case is and I'd rather not assume. At least he disclosed it to us.

What was more like taking a piss in my oatmeal was his decision to visit Head-Fi, generate interest in the product and then not even bother to pick up a headphone to audition the amp with before publishing his review. He may not have been as qualified to have an opinion about the headphone section as many of you guys who have heard other competing products, but it would have been better than nothing on an absolute scale and probably of value to the rest of his audience. Maybe I'm just offended as a hobbyist that he didn't seize an opportunity to promote our small niche. I don't know. Wish he'd show up and defend himself.

Rick
Sorry - I read that as "you dumbass, we already talked about that."

post-184847
Post #9 of 11

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I admire your graciousness, Kelly. Regardless of Jon's situation with Stereo Times, I still think it was wrong for Portal to publish his review on the Portal website and not mention that he was on their payroll. It's just not an ethical way to do business.

post-184915
Post #10 of 11

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when they're journamists. (Remind me to rant about journalists when you have a few days to spare.)

Hey racoon, what do you have against journalists?

post-184952
Post #11 of 11

Gallaine

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
What was more like taking a piss in my oatmeal was his decision to visit Head-Fi, generate interest in the product and then not even bother to pick up a headphone to audition the amp with before publishing his review. He may not have been as qualified to have an opinion about the headphone section as many of you guys who have heard other competing products, but it would have been better than nothing on an absolute scale and probably of value to the rest of his audience. Maybe I'm just offended as a hobbyist that he didn't seize an opportunity to promote our small niche. I don't know. Wish he'd show up and defend himself.

I can see your point. This particular forum is, after all, primarily about headphones and related components. I guess I just wasn't that offended by it. But your point is still valid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)