Stereo Receiver
Nov 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FrozenGecko

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I am currently looking to buy a stereo receiver(I think). I mostly want it for changing inputs to minimize the amount of plugging and unplugging I have to do. I'm assuming that's what I should get is a stereo receiver. I'm not looking to power any speakers, but that function wouldn't be bad if I do decide to get some lower end speakers. FM/AM Tuner is a big plus but not a must. My budget is 150$ or less for just the receiver(cables and such that I need i'll make myself). Please give me your recommendations
wink.gif

Just to bring more clarity....

I have a HifiMan EF2 hooked up to my computer through USB. I also have a cable plugged into the on-board sound(for gaming). Last but not least, I have a xbox hooked up through hdmi to my monitor. My monitor has a 3.5mm slot for audio. I just have cheap ass speakers for the xbox but sometimes I use em with my computer.

Now, if I hook my EF2 up with usb, then connect to the receiver through the headphone jack with a 1/4" to rca-rca cable then hook up my headphones to the receiver will that work?

Will it be possible to have the xbox on with the cheap speakers, along with my headphones to my computer at the same time? I don't believe it will because i'll be selecting inputs and I can only select one at a time.

I hope I haven't confused you guys too much... am I headed in the right direction in getting a stereo receiver?

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 10
I'd look into a stereo analogue pre-amp rather than a receiver. As to listening to one whilst another you could look into a unit with seperate record and listen switches. Being a pre-amp only you'll need external tuner and speaker amps, but usually better quality than integrated. Since you have crappy source (xbox) you'll want a dac as well.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 10
irivirdude,

I don't think that fits the budget of 150$... but thanks for your help.

But I will look into pre-amps.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 10
You will need that record and listen feature though, all my pre-amp/av pre-amp/integrateds/av amp have that. It's also called tape loop, monitor, or zone 2 (but tape loop might just be what you're listening to, not another input) It's pretty useful as I've had movie playing on my Lexicon MC-8 and also another source being outputted to it's zone 2 RCA output to another integrated amp with built in headphone amp + speakers, also to a pair of headphones. Also if you do recording you'll want that.

You should not take headphone out from a source into a line level device.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 10
It isn't a must for the xbox and my computer to have sound at the same time.

Would something like this serve my purpose?

DYNACO MODEL PAT-5 STEREO PREAMPLIFIER PREAMP - eBay (item 300370430181 end time Nov-30-09 15:46:53 PST)

DYNACO PAT-4 Refurbishing Service - One Year Warranty - eBay (item 150377966370 end time Dec-03-09 19:10:27 PST)

Something like this just looks so much more appealing to have sitting on my desk =p.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7599/img2136b.jpg

edit: I won't be doing any recording.

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

edit: I won't be doing any recording.

What I meant is usually you use that for recording, as in recording one source, whilst listening to another, unless you want to listen to what you're recording. If you switch inputs your recording will be ruined. But it's also used for multi-source playback. So you might be recording off radio to a tape deck, whilst listening to a CD. Look for a unit with tone defeat I found always on bass/treble controls to effect sound quality, and being that you're looking at a older unit faulty tone controls could be a problem. You use this function for multi-room, or multiple audio/video switching say speakers are playing from CDP, then use tape out to another room with a headphone amp + headphones. Or maybe another stereo integrated + speakers.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Why would you look for a integrated amp without seperate record & listen controls when you may want it? Even if you don't use it now, you may do in the future. It's an invaluable feature.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Because i'm not looking for a integrated amp. I've also decided I don't need/want/won't use that feature. Besides, i'm working on a limited budget.

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Stereo receiver will do fine for your requirements. I dont think connecting headphone out from the EF2 to RCA on the receiver is a good idea. You'll need to feed line level signals to the receiver since the receiver is essentially the amplifier in the chain. You would have to get something like a line level converter to be able to do that.

If you do so, you'd have to use the tape loop feature to use both sources. Helpful for A/B comparisons as well.

As for recommendations. Since you are tight on budget (as I was when I first got mine) I'd go with the Onkyo 8522 or 8555 stereo receivers. Both sound very good and can be found for good prices (assuming you are in the USA). Pull up the budget a tad more and the HK 3390 comes in at a tad above 200$ with some solid reviews and design. These will all work quite well with lower to mid range speakers as well.

I have mine connected to cable/xbox/cd player/zune and it has been an extremely convenient solution for my second room entertainment system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back