Stepping up from HD555
Jan 18, 2009 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
My HD555's have done a good job both entertaining and surprising, but I do get the feeling they lack something sometimes. After recently upgrading my source (EMU 0202 USB) and hearing a great difference from my old X-Fi, I'm getting pretty curious about what change I might hear from a new set of cans.

My source is EMU 0202 as stated, and I do have a Pro-Ject Headbox MkII that isn't plugged in because I miss the correct cabling. As of now, I run my HD555 and Grado SR60 straight out of the EMU.

Honestly, I really want to hear the HD600/HD650 after all the fuzz I've read over the years, but I'm really worried that my setup doesn't have the juice to play them at their full potential, or even better than my HD555.

I listen to a lot of stuff. I do listen to quite a bit of heavier metal, but just as much classic rock and a bit of electronic stuff. This is a simple summary of what I currently listen to:

Metal: Meshuggah, Grave, Dismember, Opeth, Cynic
Rock: Pink Floyd, Rush, Zep, King Crimson, Tool
Electronic: Kraftwerk, The Knife, Nine Inch Nails, Portishead, Massive Attack

I usually put on my SR60's when listening to metal since HD555 just can't handle it sometimes.

Other stuff to get out of the way:
1. Preferrably open. No IEM's.
2. Budget around $250. Could stretch to $300, but I rather not
wink.gif

3. I like deep and detailed bass. I like soundstage and clarity too. That being said, I honestly don't think AKG K701 is for me, and judging from what I've read, Beyers might be a little too bass heavy? I like the silk smooth bass in The Knife - Silent Shout, but I want it to be under control when listening to Portishead.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I really want to hear the HD600/HD650 after all the fuzz I've read over the years, but I'm really worried that my setup doesn't have the juice to play them at their full potential, or even better than my HD555.

Get it and your set up will follow... you'll end up with a better set up somehow I dunno how it happens LOL
devil_face.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Thugh I love the HD600, I don't think it would be the choice can for you considering the kind of music you listen to. Maybe a beyerdynamic dt880/990 or AKG 340 would be more suited to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back