Stepped attenuators...
Dec 9, 2009 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

artears

100+ Head-Fier
I cannot seem to find a comparison between DACT2 stereo stepped attenuator and goldpoint mini-v one. Did anyone here have the chance to compare them? I will be getting a stepped attenuator soon and I am considering those two.

I remember reading some people preferring goldpoint over DACT2, but I did not see any detailed comparison and I would prefer some comments on this subject. I eliminated the choices to those two, due to both having similar prices and their relative easiness to mount compared to TKD stepped one. The chassis work will be done by someone else for me, I think the three standoffs on TKD will be a problem to mount.

I appreciate your valuable comments. Thank you for your time.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot seem to find a comparison between DACT2 stereo stepped attenuator and goldpoint mini-v one. Did anyone here have the chance to compare them? I will be getting a stepped attenuator soon and I am considering those two.

I remember reading some people preferring goldpoint over DACT2, but I did not see any detailed comparison and I would prefer some comments on this subject.

I have a DACT CT2 balanced stereo unit here for an amp I'm building for someone and I hate it.

I haven't listened to it, it's a mechanical issue.

The Goldpoint and Elma's own version have a nice tactile feel to them. They go "click click click click" from one position to the next. But the DACT just goes "fffmmmp ffffmmmmp ffffmmmp".

It feels like the detent springs are too light, and there's little difference between the detented position and the points between detents.

Perhaps some of that is due to it being a four gang unit, or perhaps they're using stiffer wiper springs. I don't know. I just know that I don't like it.

Quote:

I eliminated the choices to those two, due to both having similar prices and their relative easiness to mount compared to TKD stepped one. The chassis work will be done by someone else for me, I think the three standoffs on TKD will be a problem to mount.

Don't see why they'd be a problem to mount.

In at least one respect it's much easier given that you don't have to machine a notch in the bushing hole as you do with the Elma-based attenuators. You just have to drill four holes and countersink three of them. Easy peasey.

Of course you have to make sure you use a knob large enough to cover the mounting screws, but that's not a huge obstacle to overcome.

se

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 6
I like the Goldpoints best, as I believe they have the best components (SMD resistors) with a very solid mechanical feel. The TKD 2508 are my favorite "budget" pots, as they just get out of the way of the music, unlike the (relatively) congested rk27.

While I also have a balanced DACT, with a 2.25" knob, I have yet to hear it fully, but it sounds on par to date with the Goldpoint.

And, since I have used different attenuators on all my builds (looking for the best, yet cost sane alternative), this is my latest answer (not sure if it is Shallco / Seiden, but in that class):

attenuator.jpg

Net-net, I would (and have for the Blue Hawaii) get the Goldpoints, but you won't go wrong with any of these choices.

BUT, if you want to step up, there is also Penny & Giles, ALPS RK50, and the TKD 2P65S. Elma and Noble are in your original target group also.

THLAudio has them all to look at in one place.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't see why they'd be a problem to mount.

In at least one respect it's much easier given that you don't have to machine a notch in the bushing hole as you do with the Elma-based attenuators. You just have to drill four holes and countersink three of them. Easy peasey.

Of course you have to make sure you use a knob large enough to cover the mounting screws, but that's not a huge obstacle to overcome.

se

Thank you very much for your feedback. The problem is, I am not doing the case work, since I don't have the tools for it. I guess, in order the casework to be done properly with those screws, I need to get the attenuator first, let it shipped to the builder and make him drill accordingly. This is some kind of inconvenience as of now. I better ask him that then
normal_smile .gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 6
pabbi1, thank you for your comments. TKD was the one I was considering, I am more inclined to the others right now. Then, there is also the PEC carbon pot, a much cheaper option, but considered to be good as well as far as I know. Does anyone have experience with that?

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for your feedback. The problem is, I am not doing the case work, since I don't have the tools for it. I guess, in order the casework to be done properly with those screws, I need to get the attenuator first, let it shipped to the builder and make him drill accordingly. This is some kind of inconvenience as of now. I better ask him that then
normal_smile .gif

All you would need would be the dimensions. He wouldn't have to have the switch in his hand.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back