Stepped Attenuator Tactile Feel
Oct 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both would treat your music equally well, but using dual 2-channel DACTs would allow you to compensate for poorly balanced recordings or sources, at the expense of convenience (having to adjust two volume controls).

That would only work if the imbalance happened to match up with whatever series of steps you were in. DACT uses a 4db step for the first few (5?) steps and then changes to 2db, that may or may not be sufficient to correct an audible channel imbalance.

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would only work if the imbalance happened to match up with whatever series of steps you were in. DACT uses a 4db step for the first few (5?) steps and then changes to 2db, that may or may not be sufficient to correct an audible channel imbalance.

I'm not concerned with correcting for channel imbalance. It's mainly for a cleaner audio signal and to possibly compensate for my right ear hearing a few percent less than my left. Also, by having dual 2-channel attenuators the wires running to each would be symmetrical, as opposed to using a 4-channel where the wires would all be different lengths. Although I suppose you could just cut equal wire lengths.

But if dual 2-channels wouldn't provide any technical benefit than I'll probably use a 4-channel.

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 20
The stepped attenuator in my Signature 30.2 (Goldpoint afaik) switch smoothly without much resistance. The one in my β22 switch smoothly as well, but have quite a bit more resistance. Neither of them feels rough at all, or have given me any dropouts or volume jumps.

Guess the price tag reflect the quality.
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stepped attenuator in my Signature 30.2 (Goldpoint afaik) switch smoothly without much resistance. The one in my β22 switch smoothly as well, but have quite a bit more resistance. Neither of them feels rough at all, or have given me any dropouts or volume jumps.

Guess the price tag reflect the quality.
smile.gif

I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about it. Very easy to switch into a point between two switches and getting R and L doing strange things, especially at low volume. You get what you pay for, for sure.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. Attenuation for the stock DACT (in dB from full CW to full CCW) is

0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 60, infinite

Most people adjust the source gain to be able to listen in the mid-range of the attenuator (2dB/step) to avoid the first few 10 & 4dB steps.

I don't find separate channel steppers useful plus I am lazy enough to prefer just one volume control to adjust.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back