Step 1: Acquire Beyer DT770/80 (check) Step 2: ???
Dec 15, 2007 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Zeeky

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I am gradually working my way to a complete home listening setup.
Right now I have the DT770/80s.
Eventually I want to have open Darths with the covers (open and closed on the same 'phone woo)
And I want to play it using my computer as a source.

I don't really want to go through the mini-upgrade process and stuff. i just want to get each piece separately.

Upgrading to Darths will probably cost me upwards $500. That one's going to be the last step though (I think).

So right now I think I need an amp. Home amps are better cost/benefit value than portables, right?
Anyway, I'd like the amp/DAC/sound card and whatever else goes between my computer and my headphones to cost total somewhere around $500.
Is that reasonable or is that a stupid way of splitting up cost?

So the real questions are the following:
Is this a reasonable way of going about things?
If not, tell me how I should change my view...
If so, what amp will fit well with DT770s/darths and this current plan
And also what other components will I need to complete my eventual masterpiece setup?

Sorry for the long discombobulated post... and thanks for reading.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 19
Hello,

I started with Grado's SR-80 to 770 pro and my next step Darth's and I do not regret going the big leap. Lastly I acquired a pair of 325i re-cabled and I made zebra wood adapters for Beyer leather earpads. See my signature.

I believe you need an amp for the 770's then you should get Darth's right away. I had 3 amps, and relatively cheap ones, a C&C Box, Little Dot 2++ and a custom made M^3. I find the M^3 really good with the Darth's it sounds warm and really detailed with the crossfeed and bassboost, I am in heaven. For 200 bucks or so they can be had, you should see some pop in the sale section, I feel custom made amps the best value.

This is just my thoughts, you know all your asking is really relative since it depends what you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Charles

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 19
Step 3: Profit!!!

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for the responses so far!

If it helps, I listen to metal, ska, punk, and hip-hop music.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Step 3: Profit!!!

LOL...underwear gnomes!

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for all of the serious replies ¬_¬

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 19
You'll get more meaningful response if you ask which amp, etc, to buy for your beyers, instead of just providing us with an opening for a south park joke.

I have nothing to suggest because I'm a cheap person and i don't buy amps - I build them.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 19
Looks like at the $500 range your not going to get anything really good at the desktop level. At that price point you are still looking at portables, some pretty good ones can be had at that price. However, you are going to have to go to $1000.00 or better unless your ready to start DIY'ing.

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 19
So a sub-$400 home amp is going to be worse than a sub-$400 portable amp? Or are there just no home amps that cheap?

I'm leaning towards a Meier amp, as I've heard good things about them.

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja95 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like at the $500 range your not going to get anything really good at the desktop level. At that price point you are still looking at portables, some pretty good ones can be had at that price. However, you are going to have to go to $1000.00 or better unless your ready to start DIY'ing.

I think the Meyer Cantate (with usb DAC) desktop amp might qualify on a desktop level, in his price range. My Meier Headsix portable has incredible synergy with my Darth Beyers, and it is supposed to have a similar sound signature to their desktop amps. I was VERY tempted to buy a Cantate, but since I already have a very excellent DAC I bought a tube amp (DV 336i).

As for the portables, having been brought up, I can feed the Headsix from the computer with a $30 Headstage USB DAC cable, and that cheap DAC sounds better than analog out of the computer. However, I prefer to feed it from a better DAC, that being my iBasso D1 portable DAC/AMP using just the DAC. This combo is excellent with the Darths.

Since I installed AD797 opamps the iBasso amp has too much bass for the Darths I think (so does direct from iPod touch). But, the iBasso D1 makes a great desktop DAC/AMP, and you can probably tune the sound to mate with your DT770 for $10-15 a pop with new opamps that may have the right sound signature (or EQ with the PC software).

And, the RSA Predator portable with USB DAC is supposed to offer world class sound in your price range. I won't know how well it will mate with my Darths until next week when mine arrives, but I'll be sure to let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back