Steiff Teddy Bears
Jan 17, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 25
Whao... those are pretty expensive teddy bears.  Very nice looking though.  I kind of like their key chains, especially the little husky. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 25
I read an article in the news about made in china and they mentioned a high end teddy bear maker that moved production to china, but found it subpar and move it back to germany, could this be it?

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 25
That's right. I think their plan was to move it to China so that they could (obviously) save cost, but what happened was, it took almost a year or something like that to properly train staff to be able to make the bear properly, and the staff just left after they learned the tricks. Plus there were many sub-par dolls created - eyes not even, stitches not even etc etc...Eventually the CEO had enough and decided to pull out of China. The cheaper ones are still not made in Germany though. I think only higher end ones are still made in Germany. 

Here is the video about Steiff pulling out of China:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPE3BYhHc4

Here is a video about their special edition paper bear and how they created the material - excellent stuff.

http://www.vimeo.com/14557431

I am also just started out on this, came to know about the brand by chance when it was mentioned in slightly off topic forum discussion and I goggled Steiff and just fell in love with the bear and quality.

And here's a pic of one of my Steiff who happened to just arrived today - he's still a bit jet-lagged. Little person costed me some dollars but how can you say no to that cute face?
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 25
I have a soft spot for teddy bears but I don't personally collect them. I do however have a friend that does collect Steiff bears as she can spend hundreds of dollars on them. They're nice classic style teddy bears, some of them are rare limited production ones that can cost several hundred dollars.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 25
I always liked Boyds Bears even though they are not in the same class as the Steiff. I don't think I could bring myself to spend that kinda money on a stuffed bear though. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 25
if you do not own a teddybear you are not man enough. manly men have atleast one teddybear.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
if you do not own a teddybear you are not man enough. manly men have atleast one teddybear.

"manly men doing manly things that manly men should do..." quote from some wilderman from national geographic...

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 25
I have a Steiff teddy bear my grandparents bought for me in West Germany me before I was born.  He's in terrible condition: one eye replaced, re-stuffed multiple times, holes sewn up, flat because I slept on him for years.  I'm really glad I have such a well-loved childhood toy.  It's actually this exact bear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back