Stefan AudioArt DT-880 cable...
Mar 16, 2006 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheSloth

Headphoneus Supremus
For those that are interested, I just noticed a new equinox cable for the DT-880 is now being offered: http://www.stefanaudioart.com/Replac...eadphones.html

Interestingly, they decided to keep the stock headband wiring, and are also using a 3 conductor cable instead of 4. Though, I do trust Stefan's R&D and usually when he says something is a good idea, it is...

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Wow! It costs more than the headphone itself!. The part I like the most is:"The Equinox cable is assembled with Stefan AudioArt's exclusive 5-stage UltraSolder process. Each interfaced part is sonically cleaned, soldered at a precise temperature and undergoes a 3-stage proprietary contact enhancing procedure". I do not want to start a war about cables. But is there any objective measurement (i.e. lower resistance) that can explain more current delivered to the headphone and better sound using those cables?. I trust people saying they work, but I am used to measure small currents (in the nA range) and never found any difference between good cables with a good silver solder attaching them to a golden pin.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
Wow! It costs more than the headphone itself!. The part I like the most is:"The Equinox cable is assembled with Stefan AudioArt's exclusive 5-stage UltraSolder process. Each interfaced part is sonically cleaned, soldered at a precise temperature and undergoes a 3-stage proprietary contact enhancing procedure". I do not want to start a war about cables. But is there any objective measurement (i.e. lower resistance) that can explain more current delivered to the headphone and better sound using those cables?. I trust people saying they work, but I am used to measure small currents (in the nA range) and never found any difference between good cables with a good silver solder attaching them to a golden pin.

Of course there isn't any 'evidence'! The only thing we have to go on is that Stefan makes consistently excellent sounding cables. Whether it has anything to do with his 'ultrasolder' isn't massively important, considering how beautiful the result is.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
For those that are interested, I just noticed a new equinox cable for the DT-880 is now being offered: http://www.stefanaudioart.com/Replac...eadphones.html

Interestingly, they decided to keep the stock headband wiring, and are also using a 3 conductor cable instead of 4. Though, I do trust Stefan's R&D and usually when he says something is a good idea, it is...

3-conductor... too bad, means you can't later reterminate for balanced operation if you should so desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back