Stefan AudioArt cable for AKG K1000 headphone
Sep 20, 2002 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone noticed an improvement from using the Stefan AudioArt cable for the AKG K1000 headphone? I've had this cable for a couple of weeks. Before burn-in it sounded far worse than the stock K1000 cable; i.e., lots of base, but lack of highs. It sounded dead compared to the stock cable. But, now after 72+ hours of burn-in (as recommended in the cable instructions) it sounds great. The only problem is that I can't hear any difference between the Stefan AudioArt cable, and the stock K1000 headphone cable. I keep switching from one to the other, but they sound identical with all the kinds of music that I've tried. Perhaps with more use (i.e., more burn-in) I'll hear a difference.

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the stock cable. It's decent copper. It just isn't pretty. I made myself another cable using spades and techflex but only because it looks better and my amps require spades (or bananas, I might change that).

Sep 25, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
Has anyone noticed an improvement from using the Stefan AudioArt cable for the AKG K1000 headphone? I've had this cable for a couple of weeks. Before burn-in it sounded far worse than the stock K1000 cable; i.e., lots of base, but lack of highs. It sounded dead compared to the stock cable. But, now after 72+ hours of burn-in (as recommended in the cable instructions) it sounds great. The only problem is that I can't hear any difference between the Stefan AudioArt cable, and the stock K1000 headphone cable. I keep switching from one to the other, but they sound identical with all the kinds of music that I've tried. Perhaps with more use (i.e., more burn-in) I'll hear a difference.

mikeg,

Any updates? Has the sound improved?

Oct 17, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

FCJ -

Stefan AudioArt cable sounds great, but still no difference from stock cable. I'd love to hear others' views.

mikeg,

I've been using the Stefan AudioArt cable for the K-1000 for a couple of weeks now.

I've noticed an improvement over the stock cable. It's somewhat subtle, but an improvement nonetheless. The overall sound has become more "cohesive," in that everything seems to fit together much better. I felt that with the original cable the highs would tend to dominate. The mids are a bit smoother, too. Also, while burn-in cured most of the top-end dominance, the cable has helped here, too.

I would say that there has been a 25-35% or so improvement over the original K-1000 cable. Basically, I'm happy with the upgrade and continue to be amazed at how good the K-1000s are.

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 9
FCJ - I continue to be amazed and therefore fully satisfied by the K1000, and am now using solely the Stefan AudioArt Cable. Although I continued to compare this cable to the stock cable for several weeks, and with all kinds of music, I honestly was not able to hear any difference. Although imagination entered the picture sometimes (i.e., I wanted to hear a difference), I'm fairly convinced that I heard none. Of course, the problem may be that your ears are more golden then mine. After all, mine are almost 65 years old, and I've exposed them to lots of explosive noises while shooting army rifles. Unfortunaly, no hearing protection was offered when I did my army sting in the 60's (that's 1960's and not 1860's). Sorry, just my dull sense of humour. BTW, I also use my K1000 setup for movies, which I play through WinDVD. This computer software offers Dolby Headphone Surround, and the effect is wonderful, especially when using a powered subwoofer in combination with the K1000.

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

FCJ - I continue to be amazed and therefore fully satisfied by the K1000, and am now using solely the Stefan AudioArt Cable. Although I continued to compare this cable to the stock cable for several weeks, and with all kinds of music, I honestly was not able to hear any difference. Although imagination entered the picture sometimes (i.e., I wanted to hear a difference), I'm fairly convinced that I heard none. Of course, the problem may be that your ears are more golden then mine. After all, mine are almost 65 years old, and I've exposed them to lots of explosive noises while shooting army rifles. Unfortunaly, no hearing protection was offered when I did my army sting in the 60's (that's 1960's and not 1860's). Sorry, just my dull sense of humour. BTW, I also use my K1000 setup for movies, which I play through WinDVD. This computer software offers Dolby Headphone Surround, and the effect is wonderful, especially when using a powered subwoofer in combination with the K1000.

mikeg,

Don't apologize for age!

You may be right about the cable. The gains are really subtle, not night and day. The only thing I miss about the original cable is the length; it did provide flexibility.

Nov 9, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 9
I am considering in getting the cable upgrade but want to be sure if there is a definite improvement. Any other Stefan AKG-1000 cable owners like to share their opinion?
Thanks,
Vka

Nov 9, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Vka
I am considering in getting the cable upgrade but want to be sure if there is a definite improvement. Any other Stefan AKG-1000 cable owners like to share their opinion?
Thanks,
Vka

I've been using it for about a month and I like it. The differences are subtle, but noticeable. The top end is tamed a bit, and the lows are tightened. The sound overall becomes more cohesive. The only downside is the length; the original cable is longer and gives you more flexability in terms of using the phones at a greater distance from the amp. Overall, I think the upgrade is worthwhile to get the last ounce of performance out of the K-1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back