Steely Dan
Apr 28, 2004 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Any other SD fans out there? I just realized that after all these years loving Steely Dan, the only thing I had in my collection was 3 CD's and a compilation. I went online and bought 7 CD's at one whack.
I just don't know if there's another band who bores me less. Great recording quality too. Can't wait for all the stuff I should'a been listening to for years.
CPW

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 55
I recently got Gaucho and have been enjoying it immensely. I never was into SD before, other than a few songs, but am finding myself liking their music more and more. I might get another couple of albums if this keeps up.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 55
If you're not that familiar w/ them, "Decade of Steely Dan" is a great compilation and will probably inspire more purchases. Only one song on it I'll skip from time to time.
CPW

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 55
I have Aja, Gaucho and Can't Buy A Thrill??..

I especially love Aja. No wonder it was so popular.

Have you guys seen them on their recent tours?
Donald sounds great , at least to me.

Actually, that Decade of compilation was a gift from
a friend and was my intro to SD.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 55
Yeah. I have listened to their newer stuff, but it really doesn't compare with albums like 'Aja' or 'Gaucho'. Aja might very well be my favorite album of all time, and this is coming from the guy who still buys new cd's and enjoys a lot of modern rock. A great pair of guys who are really talented musicians.

-Dan

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 55
I've got most of their albulms and have always been a fan. Aja was my first exposure, back in high school - a totally stunning albulm from start to finish. I blew my chance to go see them in West Palm Beach this past year. Oh well, next time. I can't wait until all of the Steely Dan stuff gets released on SACD! Please, someone tell me that this is going to happen...

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 55
It is worth mentioning that Donald Fagen did a solo album called "nightfly", it has excellent sonics and the materials were superb. I think Steely Dan fans would love that one also.

Happy listening,
W

Apr 28, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 55
Yeah, love Steely Dan! First thing I heard from them was Donald Fagen's second solo album though, Kamakiriad, which is absolutely great and in a way not very different from other SD stuff. Then moved on to Fagen's Nightfly, which - of course - is a classic. Only then I discovered that Fagen had been part of something called Steely Dan and got me "Then and Now. The best of SD". After that, "2 against nature" was released. In the meantime I also own "countdown to ecstasy", "the royal scam", "aja", "gaucho" and "everything must go" - which I quite like btw. "Green book" is a stunning track.

Apr 28, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
I have Aja, Gaucho and Can't Buy A Thrill??..

I think Aja and The Royal Scam are on my To Buy Next list. Aja first, of course.

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 55
I'm an old school Dan fan. Live "Can't Buy a Thrill" "Pretzel Logic" "Countdown to Esctasy" "Katy Lied". The last two are probably my favourites. A audiophile verson of Katy Lied (I think MOfi put one out) is a must.

"Do it Again" remains one of the best songs ever recorded.

I've recented scored second generation bootlegs of live shows from the "Countdown to Esctasy" period. What a band!

I think Aja was the last Dan album I really like. Gaucho kinda bored me and I don't really like their new stuff.

I agree Fagen's solo, "The Nightfly" is fantastic. Probably the last great SD album (come on, Fagan is Steely Dan!)

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I'm an old school Dan fan. Live "Can't Buy a Thrill" "Pretzel Logic" "Countdown to Esctasy" "Katy Lied". The last two are probably my favourites. A audiophile verson of Katy Lied (I think MOfi put one out) is a must.
"Do it Again" remains one of the best songs ever recorded.

They had a string of very good albums in the 1970's, best album overall for me and most rock oriented has to be "can't buy a thrill" Some prefer the more complex nature of next few albums but I still prefer the fresh vitality of this early album.

The remaster has demonstration class sound, can't believe rock album from 1972 can sound this good!

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 55
Yep, I also absolutely love Steely Dan, even their new stuff; it isn't essentially 'bad', but different. My father is truly an even greater Steely Dan fan then I will ever be and he is the one who has of course introduced me to Steely Dan. I believe that the first album I've ever heard of them was The Royal Scam, and it stays one of my favorite albums, with such songs as Haitian Divorce and it's titlesong; The Royal Scam.
Luckily my father took good care of his LP's and because of that I can enjoy Steely Dan on vinyl (my favorite format
icon10.gif
). He has all of the older Steely Dan albums on vinyl, and all Steely Dan, as well as pre-Steely Dan and Walter Beckers's and Donald Fagen's own productions on CD. Therefor I've heard everything they've ever released and I hope they'll continue with producing new albums, though Two Against Nature wasn't that spectacular. But Everything Must Go was a very pleasant album which I enjoyed very much, so I have a bright look on the future.
cool.gif

A few Steely Dan songs which I like:
Do It Again
Only A Fool Would Say That
Aja
My Old SChool
Katy Lied
Haitian Divorce
The Royal Scam

That is from the top of my head, so I've probably left out a lot of other songs which I enjoy, but these few where the ones that popped up. ^_^

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 55
Steely Dan rules. Subversive dirty lyrics about sleazy people and sleazy situations wrapped up in innocent-sounding streamlined perfectly played faux-jazzy sophisto-pop/lite rock with a dash of funk thrown in for good measure. Twisted, but great stuff! "Adult rock" with adult themes really.

Gaucho is out now on SACD, and all the other titles are on their way in about 2-3 months! They were always known in their day for being sticklers for sound quality spending ages in the studio working on each album, when people went out to test new stereo equipment in the 70s, they would often bring the Dan. Can't wait for the SACDs, I'll buy them all.

The recent HDCDs are quite good though. For comps, I like the 2CD set from 2000, Showbiz Kids, all most people would need, it's a treasure from start to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back