Steelcase vs Aeron: most comfortable and best for posture?
Jan 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
I need to replace my old falling apart chair and wanted your opinion: is Steelcase or Aeron chairs better?

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aeron fully loaded will be the last task chair you will need have clients
that look and operate like new but are years old.

Agreed, the Aeron is the benchmark against which all other task chairs are measured. You will find some people who say chair X is better than the Aeron but you will rarely see Aeron owners come out to say it's better than chair X.. there is no need.
biggrin.gif

However a chair can be a very personal thing, it's always best if you can try them (properly adjusted) first.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 30
To add a counterpoint to the Aeron.....I"m not sure what's wrong with me, but I found it incredibly uncomfortable for extended periods of time. I tried it for a couple months and went back to a standard office chair. I never looked back. I would suggest that you buy the chair from someone local so that you can return it if you have he same effects.

just my 2 cents.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 30
ilikemonkeys, you're not alone. I haven't sat in one of these, and won't. I need to move around a lot when I sit, sometimes even sitting cross legged like in a yoga pose. Had back surgery, and just can't stay in one position. Any chair with a sweet spot is going to be a pain to me--literally. Given one choice, I'd take a plain hard flat surface. That kind of chair just isn't for everyone.

The most comfortable thing I ever did was at one job I had a split level counter where I could stand most of the day, and sit for half an hour or so when I got tired. Had to move the monitor manually, though.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 30
Which Steelcase are you considering? I got a Leap for home and think its great but wish it had tilt. I have tried a used Aeron at work and I don't like mesh chairs.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 30
They're both good chairs. This is like asking which headphone is best. I just got the successor to the Mirra and the adjustments are nice but the seating surface has an abrasive feel, even through clothing. Plus I'm finding it may be a PIA as I need to adjust the tilt function depending on whether I'm at the computer or talking to a client.

Best advice so far is buy local in case you need to return whatever you decide to buy.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 30
I really like my Aeron chair. The seat can be somewhat firm and uncomfortable for extended sitting. I ended up using a Tempurpedic seat cushion, and now it's perfect. Another added benefit for the Aeron chair is hot weather, you never get sweaty back sitting in an Aeron chair.

I do highly recommend getting arm rests if that is an optional piece wherever you end up shopping.

-Ed

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 30
I've had an Aeron for 2-3 weeks and really am not impressed with it. It causes me great upper back pain and the after an hour or two is becomes very uncomfortable.

My advice is try before you buy. I would take it back in a heartbeat if I could, but since I bought it online, this really isn't an option.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had an Aeron for 2-3 weeks and really am not impressed with it. It causes me great upper back pain and the after an hour or two is becomes very uncomfortable.

My advice is try before you buy. I would take it back in a heartbeat if I could, but since I bought it online, this really isn't an option.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your back! I think everyone who wants an aeron for looks should pocket the money, buy a cheaper chair, and put the difference towards a HM Eames lounge chair
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 30
I like my fully adjustable aeron chair quite a bit. My work has steel case and they are fine chairs as well, and quite comfortable.. I've never had backstrain with one.

However as to which is more durable or I see lasting me another 10-20 years? Only the Aeron chair has a remote shot.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your back! I think everyone who wants an aeron for looks should pocket the money, buy a cheaper chair, and put the difference towards a HM Eames lounge chair
biggrin.gif

LOL, That's like saying, everyone who wants a K1000 should pocket the money, buy a cheaper headphone, and put the difference towards a Sony MDR-R10.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Areon chair's ability to allow farts to pass-through is quite impressive. For best results, don't wear anything.

waffle print FTW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back