Stax upgrade questions
Jun 17, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 17
I believe all the full size stax cans will work, from the 303, 404 to the Omega. So, it's simply depends on how much you want to spend.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
I believe all the full size stax cans will work, from the 303, 404 to the Omega. So, it's simply depends on how much you want to spend.

Thanks, that's excellent news ... Don't think it will be worth going for the Omega headset, the SRM-T1 wouldn't do it justice. 404 sounds about right for me.
Bit out of date on latest units
frown.gif

Cheers,
Andy

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

404s are an excellent choice for your dollar spent. I've enjoyed them with the SRM007t.

Do you think I'll notice an improvement over my old Sigma pro's?
They look amazing value in the U.S. I've seen them for $449 .... which oddly enough is what U.K. dealers want in GB£.... as the exchange rate is about $1.80 to the £, I'm seriously thinking of buying them from your side of the Atlantic (plenty extra to pay if customs & excise catch up with the package though
frown.gif
)
Cheers,
Andy

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 17
I can't comment on the sigma since I've never had the pleasure of trying them out. I ordered my stax from EIFL (you can haggle a bit, also his price is all inclusive of duty and shipping), which was substantially less than retail here in the US. You can also try audiocubes, which i've heard mark their packages as gifts.

Goodluck.

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink Fairy
Do you think I'll notice an improvement over my old Sigma pro's?
They look amazing value in the U.S. I've seen them for $449 .... which oddly enough is what U.K. dealers want in GB£.... as the exchange rate is about $1.80 to the £, I'm seriously thinking of buying them from your side of the Atlantic (plenty extra to pay if customs & excise catch up with the package though
frown.gif
)
Cheers,
Andy

The low price you've seen (Audiocubes I guess) is the price for direct import from Japan.The normal american retail price is as ridiculous as the price in Europe.

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

I can't comment on the sigma since I've never had the pleasure of trying them out. I ordered my stax from EIFL (you can haggle a bit, also his price is all inclusive of duty and shipping), which was substantially less than retail here in the US. You can also try audiocubes, which i've heard mark their packages as gifts.

Do you have a url for EIFL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
The low price you've seen (Audiocubes I guess) is the price for direct import from Japan.The normal american retail price is as ridiculous as the price in Europe.

Yep, Audiocubes it was.. do you know if they have an o.k. reputation? I've just noticed they're co-sponsoring this site.
At least there isn't any voltage problems with this sort of product
wink.gif

Cheers,
Andy

Jun 17, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 17
Both audiocubes and eifl are reputable. I've bought from both places. Also, keep in mind when dealing with eifl, Koji (the dealer's name) will give you a good price only when you're ready to buy. I suggest you tell them that you're prepared to buy as soon as he gives you a good price quote.

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 17
404s do rule. They're about 90% of the Omega 2 for less than 25% of the price.

I also recommend dealing with Koji. But as darkclouds says, be firm in your intent to buy -- only then will you get a good price. (Also ask him to pay via international money order.)

- Chris

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 17
I have the 404 and they are one of the best headphones that money can buy. Do not let the modest price (by uber headphone prices anyway) fool you, they are the real deal. They should, in theory anyway, work a lot better than the picky Omega2's with your amp.

Jun 19, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink Fairy
Thanks guys, purchased from audiocubes2 in the end, hope i won't have to wait too long for the 404s. Be interesting to compare with the sigma pro... which still make awesome sounds.

Enjoy, and report about your impressions here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back