Stax SRS 3170 System
Oct 31, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 6
The amp is considered very good. There is little information indeed about the headphones, but I've read it's better t spend a bit more and go for the SR-407 instead of the SR-307. So SRM-323 + SR-407 seems to be very good value.

May 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 6
I've read it's better to spend a bit more and go for the SR-407 instead of the SR-307. So SRM-323 + SR-407 seems to be very good value.

It is so hard to find information on STAX.  Can I just confirm that this means buying the solid state amp that would usually be part of the 2170 system with the headphones that are one step higher and usually with the 3170 system package?  Can this amp drive them to their full potential?   I would like to get the best transducer possible with a solid state driver rather than a tube based one.

Also, can anyone send me a link to something like Amazon confirming exactly what walwart I would need to run these in North America (Canada) if I order them directly from Japan?

Thanks!

May 14, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 6
No. it's the amp from the 3170 package with the headphones from the 4170 package. "The best transducer possible" in the current lineup is SR-009, at a totally different price point. What I can tell you is that even the lower lambdas ("lower" by comparison to SR-007 and SR-009), such as my SR-303, sound very very good.
Ordering from Japan means the amp will expect a different voltage, so you would need a transformer. I would also prefer to have the full warranty offered by a local retailer, even if it's (sometimes considerably) more expensive. I bought my SR-3030 package from a local retailer myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back