STAX SRM-D50
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I am creating this thread for discussion relating to the new STAX SRM-D50 DAC/Amp.

I will be posting an unboxing video and review here shortly.

Description
SRM-D50 drives STAX ‘s electrostatic earspeaker in an ideal form.
With the installation of a high-performance DAC, it supports various audio sources such as audio player and PC.

・Supports various audio sources such as USB / optical / coaxial digital input, RCA analog input etc.
・ESS DAC chip supports files with audio signal maximum DSD 5.6 MHz, PCM 384 KHz.
・Adopt R core power transformer with less leakage flux.
・Displays the strength of input signal with VU meter.
・Adopted 4 mm thick nonmagnetic aluminum cover.

Specifications
●Frequency responce:DC-40kHz (0,-3dB)
●Rated Input Level:130mVr.m.s
●Maximum Input Level:30V/ RCA, at minumum volume
●Maximum Output Voltage:400Vr.m.s (1130Vp-p)
●Gain:59dB
●Harmonic distortion:0.025% or less/1kHz-10kHz /When use with SR-L series
●Input Impedance:20kΩ (RCA)
●Bias Voltage:DC580V
●Mains voltage:AC100-240V 50Hz/60Hz (depending on your country’s voltage)
●Power Consumption:35W
●Operating temperature: 0 to 35 degrees C
(less than 90% humidity,non condensing)
●Dimension:192(W)×67(H)×268(D) mm
●Weight:4.5kg
●Digital Input:USB(type B)×1、TOS×1、COAX×1
●Analog input:RCA×1

Images
srm_d50.jpg

srm_d50rear.jpg

img_1810.jpg

img_1811.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 87
Impressions:
This is going to be a review both the SRM-D50 and my new Stax SR-007A.

The design of the SRM-D50 and its packaging all looks really nice. The assembly leaves a little to be desired though. There are a few cosmetic issues with my unit.
The whole box runs pretty hot, maybe around 125 F. I'm not sure how hot is normal for Stax amps.

I just got a pair of Stax SR-007A headphones. This is my first time listening to them with my own music.
I've heard Stax headphones before and I've always liked the transparency of the upper-end models.
I was expecting to hear very transparent headphones with little bass impact.

I was wrong.

The transparency wasn't much better than that of TOTL dynamic headphones, but still, I'm comparing this to headphones as, if not more expensive like the LCD-4 and Utopia.
I think part of this is because they sound more close/intimate than the models I've heard in the past. It might be due to the shape of the drivers?
What was really strange to me is that not only did they have impactful bass, but it went deep as well.
They sound very smooth and musical while retaining some electrostatic speed, allowing me to hear all the glitches in poorly recorded music. Yay.

I just recently sold my LCD-4 and was surprised how much these sound like it. They're like the LCD-4 but more comfortable with clearer midrange, but have less sub-bass impact, and less smooth treble.
The SR-007A should appeal to almost everyone. It has a sound very similar to dynamics.

The SRM-D50 seems to drive them well, being one of the higher output 400V units. I get good volume around 40-50% on the volume dial. From what I've read, my impressions of my SR-007A are in-line or more favorable, which leads me to believe that I'm not under-driving them.

Overall, ignoring the cosmetic issues with my amp, this amp seems to drive the SR-007A well and I really like the appearance and form factor of it.

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 87
I have also just got the D50, but I am only using it to drive the baby SR003MK2. Yes, the D50 runs very hot, and that is a surprise to me!

I played with electrostatic speakers (the Quad) before, and if they were unplugged from the power for a period of time, then it would take a couple of days of recharging (i.e. plug it back in the power) before they performs their best.

I found the same to be true with the SR003MK2, so I keep the D50 on 24/7. I wonder whether you have experienced the same with larger Stax headphone?

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 87
Looking at the amp and your new 007's - gratz BTW I would say that this amp is more for the lambda series which are a lot easier to drive. 007's are harder to drive than any other current stax headphone don't get me wrong the amp will work perfectly fine with them but in the same way a high impedence say 600ohm pair of cans demand an amp with a lot of oomph compared with say 32 ohm ones it's the same when running different stax cans.

Like the fact they have built an all in one and yes stax amps run very hot. I'll have to have a Google and see what dac chip etc they are using.

P. S. search for sr007 port mod on headfi

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 87
I have also just got the D50, but I am only using it to drive the baby SR003MK2. Yes, the D50 runs very hot, and that is a surprise to me!

I played with electrostatic speakers (the Quad) before, and if they were unplugged from the power for a period of time, then it would take a couple of days of recharging (i.e. plug it back in the power) before they performs their best.

I found the same to be true with the SR003MK2, so I keep the D50 on 24/7. I wonder whether you have experienced the same with larger Stax headphone?

Can you give us your impression of the sr003mk2? im also interested in getting them. do they sound close to the 007mk2?
cause im choosing between the 007mk2 or the 003mk2.

thanks!

Mar 12, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 87
Yeah, anyone with experience on this set up please? Current amp is a measly SRM 252s.
I don't have experience with the D50 but I do have the SRM-252S and it's anything but measly IMHO.
Paired with SR-207 it lacks for very little and has to be one of the biggest bargains in audio, period.

Granted I don't listen to Death Metal with this system (although it would perform fine, I just have better gear for this type of music).
But to get comparable quality for Classical and Acoustic material would cost significantly more in a dynamic headphone/amp combo.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade my little 252S to a larger amp any time soon.

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 87
I don't have experience with the D50 but I do have the SRM-252S and it's anything but measly IMHO.
Paired with SR-207 it lacks for very little and has to be one of the biggest bargains in audio, period.

Granted I don't listen to Death Metal with this system (although it would perform fine, I just have better gear for this type of music).
But to get comparable quality for Classical and Acoustic material would cost significantly more in a dynamic headphone/amp combo.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade my little 252S to a larger amp any time soon.

I already own a 252s which I've dome some mods to to make it a better match for my L700. I agree, it does fairly well. I'd like to see what something like this could do for the L700 though. Hence the ask for someone else's experience.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 87
Mar 22, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 87
I imagine an L700 would sound better since it's a solid state amp and the Omega series tends to like tubes just a smidge better.

The L700 I believe is much easier to drive compared to the 007 as well. So I think a smaller unit like this is better suited for a Lambda series (L700).

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 87
I am creating this thread for discussion relating to the new STAX SRM-D50 DAC/Amp.

I will be posting an unboxing video and review here shortly.

Description
SRM-D50 drives STAX ‘s electrostatic earspeaker in an ideal form.
With the installation of a high-performance DAC, it supports various audio sources such as audio player and PC.

・Supports various audio sources such as USB / optical / coaxial digital input, RCA analog input etc.
・ESS DAC chip supports files with audio signal maximum DSD 5.6 MHz, PCM 384 KHz.
・Adopt R core power transformer with less leakage flux.
・Displays the strength of input signal with VU meter.
・Adopted 4 mm thick nonmagnetic aluminum cover.

Specifications
●Frequency responce:DC-40kHz (0,-3dB)
●Rated Input Level:130mVr.m.s
●Maximum Input Level:30V/ RCA, at minumum volume
●Maximum Output Voltage:400Vr.m.s (1130Vp-p)
●Gain:59dB
●Harmonic distortion:0.025% or less/1kHz-10kHz /When use with SR-L series
●Input Impedance:20kΩ (RCA)
●Bias Voltage:DC580V
●Mains voltage:AC100-240V 50Hz/60Hz (depending on your country’s voltage)
●Power Consumption:35W
●Operating temperature: 0 to 35 degrees C
(less than 90% humidity,non condensing)
●Dimension:192(W)×67(H)×268(D) mm
●Weight:4.5kg
●Digital Input:USB(type B)×1、TOS×1、COAX×1
●Analog input:RCA×1

Images
srm_d50.jpg

srm_d50rear.jpg

img_1810.jpg

img_1811.jpg

hi did the d50 not meet ur expectations as I see you are selling it. Maybe as other mentioned its more suitable for lambda series

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 87
hi did the d50 not meet ur expectations as I see you are selling it. Maybe as other mentioned its more suitable for lambda series

The SRM-D50 with modded SR007A beats the sound quality of even the SR009S with a BHSE, T8000, KGSS, etc. in my opinion. The SRM-D50 drives them well. I'm only selling it because I don't like dealing with headphone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back