STAX SRM-323S or SRM-717 for driving the SR-007?
Jul 15, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
Absolutely.
One or more of every electrostatic amp works for me.

I guess that's why I bought yet another SRM-300 amp.  It's unique in so many ways so I just have to have one... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
I have the Mk1s and 4070s and I like the SRM-717 with them although I think it's a little too edgy and dry. That's the reason I ordered a GES.

I have the O2 MK1 and Stax SRM-717 as well as the 323S.  To my ears, the 717 is an extremely smooth and liquid sounding amplifier pairing with the OII and I would not described as edgy and dry.  If anything I wish it can use a little more treble extension.  Could this be your source?  I feed the 717 with my Exemplar 5910 and W4S DAC2.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
W4S DAC2 is a weak link.

You might want to re-read the posts.  I don't have any problem with my system and I'm pleased with my W4S DAC + SRM-717 & OII MKI pairing.  Magick Man described his system is a bit dried sounding so I suggested that the 717 is smooth and liquid and not dried sounding.  I think the W4S DAC is rather good for its retailed price and deserving of its awards.  If I want better performance, I can always hook up my Stax system to my wonderful sounding Exemplar 5910.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #22 of 29
There is very little depth or sound stage with the W4S so it comes off very forward. I am upset now because now I know it was the main reason I was thinking I had balance issues and problems with headphones and the treble is not always the nicest either. It was my first experience with a fairly expensive Dac and often I wondered if it did much better than what you would get off a soundcard. Now I have a decent Dac and can at least tell there is something to them that improves the sound especially with a SRM-717 & OII MKI setup that is already a bit short on soundstage.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
There is very little depth or sound stage with the W4S so it comes off very forward. I am upset now because now I know it was the main reason I was thinking I had balance issues and problems with headphones and the treble is not always the nicest either. It was my first experience with a fairly expensive Dac and often I wondered if it did much better than what you would get off a soundcard. Now I have a decent Dac and can at least tell there is something to them that improves the sound especially with a SRM-717 & OII MKI setup that is already a bit short on soundstage.

Would you mind disclose which DAC that displaces your W4S?  I'm really curious.  FYI, I bought mine used for around 1.1K so I don't have much to complain here given that I have yet to find better DAC at this price point.  I'm still a bit of a newbie in stand alone DAC though.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 29
Glad to know you got that sorted out. I had an SRM-323S before w/c was good enough with the 007, but can't say the same for the 009. I originally thought that the Bifrost was the cause for the edginess in the 009's sound . Having heard the 009's with different amps - SRM-007t and LL has extended the Bifrost's stay in my system. Perhaps not the DAC ,but its something I can with live for now . 

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #25 of 29
I replaced the W4S with a Nad M51 a few days ago and I find the difference substantial and immediatly noticeable. The W4S was my first dac and before that started with sound cards so I am no expert. I sold the W4S a couple days ago for $1k shipped. Now I have much more bass, sound stage with depth front and back  and lots of air in between. The Nad is far more detailed and smooth in comparison. I should be happy that I finally get to enjoy my system but today I feel I lost a year with the W4S and thought I had problems with some of my headphones because of it. These are just my opinions.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #26 of 29
I know this is a very old thread, but the question was never really answered... Would the 323S mate well with the SR-007 Mk. 1, being fed from a tube pre?  I don't like listening at loud levels, if that matters.  Thanks.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #27 of 29
For the record, I tried this and feel it's a bad match with the 323s. The 323s does not have enough juice for the 007's, in my opinion. Bass control is not that great. Overall, it's kind of lackluster and doesn't sound like headphones costing this much $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back