Stax SRM-007t good for Koss ESP-950's?
Jul 5, 2005 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

GRod

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know if the Koss ESP-950's can be properly driven by the Stax SRM-007t amplifier? If so, where can I get an adapter that would allow the 950's to be used with the the 007t?
Thanks,
GRod

Jul 5, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 28
Works well. Bias is a little low, but that will not be a problem.
Definitely will not play as loud as stax headphones will on that
amplifier.

You are going to have to make your own adapter. Cheapest way
is to buy an extra extention cable and cut one of the ends off.
The wires are wrapped with synthetic silk and are very hard to solder
to without practice.

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRod
Does anyone know if the Koss ESP-950's can be properly driven by the Stax SRM-007t amplifier? If so, where can I get an adapter that would allow the 950's to be used with the the 007t?
Thanks,
GRod

I think this is a bad idea. It makes far more sense to go with the KGSS or the KGSS/BH than pay monstrous sums of money for an amp that many people feel is outperformed by the Gilmore designs.
Do you actually have the ESP-950 or are you contemplating a purchase? I would be interested in your impressions of them thus far. At last count very few people (me, included) own these cans.

Jul 6, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
I think this is a bad idea. It makes far more sense to go with the KGSS or the KGSS/BH than pay monstrous sums of money for an amp that many people feel is outperformed by the Gilmore designs.
Do you actually have the ESP-950 or are you contemplating a purchase? I would be interested in your impressions of them thus far. At last count very few people (me, included) own these cans.

The 007t tends to run at about $1K on the used market, which is not a monstrous sum of money for a good electrostatic amp. I do prefer the Gilmore designs sonically, but I've also gotten good results from the 007t, and have never been dissatisfied by that amp. It sounds good every time I use it, something many other amps don't accomplish. IMO the 007t tends to get a bad rap on Head-Fi that is not deserved.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 28
+1 for the 007T being a good amp for the money. You can get one used for around $850.00 and if you look hard...new for $1200.00

It sounds good...with HE-90 and SR-404. It doesnt sound good with the Omega-II (I prefer the KGSS with this headphone). but I dont know which amp will sound good with your headphone.

Put it this way - 007T is good but it has shown it's limitations to me...whereas the KGSS has not.

ymmv

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The 007t tends to run at about $1K on the used market, which is not a monstrous sum of money for a good electrostatic amp. I do prefer the Gilmore designs sonically, but I've also gotten good results from the 007t, and have never been dissatisfied by that amp. It sounds good every time I use it, something many other amps don't accomplish. IMO the 007t tends to get a bad rap on Head-Fi that is not deserved.

I really respect your opinion but 1K used (for the 007t) vs. 1-1.5 K for a new KGSS is hardly an appropriate comparison. Buying from Koji or audiocubes means no warranty, buying an amp from Justin OTOH is probably easier to have fixed in the US. Moreover, Kevin Gilmore actually tried these headphones with his own amp and seemed fairly satisfied with the results which he published on an earlier thread. I still feel that the KGSS or maybe the far cheaper Mcalister audio tube ES amp may be a better proposition than the 007t.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 28
Fine. I concede that I had the prices of the SR-007t wrong (a la Todd and headroom). Maybe it is a good choice for the Koss. I'd personally still go for the KGSS (if I had the money!).

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 28
Thanks to everybody that responded to my post. I really appreciate your input.
Yes Kartik, I do own the ESP 950's. They were my first high end headphone purchase about 12-13 years ago. Since then, I've acquired the 580's, 600's, 650's, RS-1's, and the K-1000's, among others, as well as various amps.
In spite of all of this, I'm really a newbie to the hobby because I hadn't really listened to any of them very much until now. I've really just started listening to them since discovering Head-Fi in May. Probably none of my equipment is even "burned in."
Even though I don't have the experience, the vocabulary, etc., I'll still try to give you my impressions of the the 950's. I'll try to do so in two different ways.
First: My source is the Sony DVP-NS999ES. The music that I've mostly been listening to lately, which is typical, is Warren Zevon, Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Blue Merle, John Prine, Fred Eaglesmith, and Mary Gauthier. My favorite cans, the one's that I listen with the most, are the RS-1's, followed by the 950's, then the K-1000's, and lastly, the 650's.
Secondly: There was a mint pair of ESP-950's for sale recently on eBay. I very seriously considered buying them to have as a back-up set. When the price got to $425 I changed my mind. I felt that this was just too much to spend for a "back-up" set of cans. However, the fact that I ALMOST bought them, indicates my very positive feelings about them.
I hope this information is helpful. As I become a more experienced listener, perhaps I'll be able to more specifically talk about their characteristics. Again, I hope this helps.

I now need to ask another question however. Yesterday I sent Jan Meier a deposit for thr HE-90's. So, now I need to know which amp will best drive the HE-90's, as well as the 950's?

Again, thanks to everyone for taking your time to share your knowledge. Thank you!
GRod

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
Buying from Koji or audiocubes means no warranty, buying an amp from Justin OTOH is probably easier to have fixed in the US.

?? Buying from EIFL or Audiocubes does not mean there is no warranty. It simply means that the warranty work will have to be done in Japan instead of the US. I've had very good results getting warranty work done through Koji.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 28
more props from me for the stax tubed amps both the 006t and the 007t, both work very well with the 404s, maybe not the omegas, but those two make the 404s sing like a well tuned up bird. ive had the kgss and someday hope to have it again, but i will not be getting rid of the 006t for anything, that will be put into a system that im still pondering. possibly eastern electric minimax tubed cdp > ics to be det. > 404s and rega ss cdp > stax 006t > siltech ics > 404s. that way ill get both flavors, tubed and ss cdps and tubed and ss amps. after that im probably done for good.

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
?? Buying from EIFL or Audiocubes does not mean there is no warranty. It simply means that the warranty work will have to be done in Japan instead of the US. I've had very good results getting warranty work done through Koji.

Valid point. (Taking foot out of mouth!
tongue.gif
) It just scares me that there are people paying so much more in the US for these products that I wonder if there is a catch. I guess there isn't and I stand corrected. Thanks Hirsch!
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRod
Thanks to everybody that responded to my post. I really appreciate your input.
Yes Kartik, I do own the ESP 950's. They were my first high end headphone purchase about 12-13 years ago. Since then, I've acquired the 580's, 600's, 650's, RS-1's, and the K-1000's, among others, as well as various amps.
In spite of all of this, I'm really a newbie to the hobby because I hadn't really listened to any of them very much until now. I've really just started listening to them since discovering Head-Fi in May. Probably none of my equipment is even "burned in."
Even though I don't have the experience, the vocabulary, etc., I'll still try to give you my impressions of the the 950's. I'll try to do so in two different ways.
First: My source is the Sony DVP-NS999ES. The music that I've mostly been listening to lately, which is typical, is Warren Zevon, Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Blue Merle, John Prine, Fred Eaglesmith, and Mary Gauthier. My favorite cans, the one's that I listen with the most, are the RS-1's, followed by the 950's, then the K-1000's, and lastly, the 650's.
Secondly: There was a mint pair of ESP-950's for sale recently on eBay. I very seriously considered buying them to have as a back-up set. When the price got to $425 I changed my mind. I felt that this was just too much to spend for a "back-up" set of cans. However, the fact that I ALMOST bought them, indicates my very positive feelings about them.
I hope this information is helpful. As I become a more experienced listener, perhaps I'll be able to more specifically talk about their characteristics. Again, I hope this helps.

I now need to ask another question however. Yesterday I sent Jan Meier a deposit for thr HE-90's. So, now I need to know which amp will best drive the HE-90's, as well as the 950's?

Again, thanks to everyone for taking your time to share your knowledge. Thank you!
GRod

Looking forward to the HE-90 vs. ESP-950 comparo!

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 28
I asked Peter McAlister whether his McAlister Audio EA-1 All Tube Electrostatic Amplifier can be used to power the Koss ESP-950 headphone. Peter confirmed that it can, but that it will require the incorporation of a dedicated output in the EA-1 for the ESP-950. He also told me that he custom builds each EA-1 to customers' specifications, and therefore that once he has the Koss headphone connector's pin configuration and size, as well as the headphone's bias voltage, there will be no problem in adding a connector for the ESP-950 to the EA-1, in addition to the already existing high and low bias voltage connectors for Stax headphones. Peter also mentioned that he's suddenly been getting calls regarding use of his EA-1 amp with Orpheus HE90 headphones. He was really interested (and surprised) when I told him about our discussions at Head-Fi, regarding the HE90, as well as regarding his amplifier, and I suggested that he read these discussion. Peter also mentioned that people who want to connect the HE90 to Stax connectors may need something in addition to a simple plug adapter. He said that although the HE90 and new Stax headphones have similar bias votages, there may be a difference in the series resistance. He said that, when he prepares an EA-1 for use with an HE90, he installs an resistor in order to make a perfect match. As for my immediate plan, I will probably order an ESP-95, which I will then send to Peter in order for him to properly assemble an EA-1 to power it. I'll probably request that he include appropriate outputs for Orpheus and Omega 2 headphones, in addition to the output for the ESP-950. Since I hope that Head-Fi members GRod and kartik (both of whom already own ESP-950s) will pursue a similar route, we may get a clearer idea of how well EA-1 powered ESP-950s stack up against Stax and Orpheus headphones.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 28
Good luck getting that eps950 connector. Unless you plan on
trashing the included amp to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back