Stax SRM-006t replaced by SRM-006tA
Feb 25, 2006 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Salt Peanuts

Headphoneus Supremus
I just found out that Stax is repalcing SRM-006t driver unit with new SRM-006tA model. Accordingly, SRS-4040 (Signature System II) will be renamed SRS-4040A as new driver unit is employed. This was supposed to happen earlier this month, but it's looking like it won't be happening until sometime in March.

From what I can gather, the model change was necessitated by the ending of production on some of the parts used in 006t. The changes from 006t include new front panel, improved S/N ratio, 3 separate inputs (one balanced), and improved frequency range.

The Stax website hasn't been updated yet, but the changes have been reflected on the Audio Cubes site, though the pics are still of the previous model.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 29
I hope Stax voice the amp to suit the SR-404 that it persumably will be sold with. The SRM-313 is not voiced correctly for the SR-303 or SR-404, at least it isn't to my ears. Perhaps the engineers at Stax hear differently, or use different sources as a standard for comparison. In any case, the system needs warmth in the midbass and a dip in the upper midrange to sound tonally neutral. If this is yet another bright amp that does nothing to hide the SR-404's weaknesses, then I'm not interested.

Yeah, I'm one biased SOB
tongue.gif

Thanks for the heads-up SP. If the EA-1 doesn't work out, I might be looking at one of these. Or perhaps an O2/KGSS... gah, this ******* disease never ends
mad.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 29
I doubt that they're going to be changing the voicing of the amp too much, as I've been told that they (404 and 006t) are sold as a system for a reason.

The ongoing rumor is that Stax will also be updating 717 and 007t, though that will probably be few months from now.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
The ongoing rumor is that Stax will also be updating 717 and 007t, though that will probably be few months from now.

Hopefully with something worth the money this time.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
I doubt the changes are going to be anything major, as it's going to be updates and not complete model overhauls.

I think you're right.

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

From what I can gather, the model change was necessitated by the ending of production on some of the parts used in 006t.

Out of curiosity is this a another RoHs casualty ?

I know there is a lot of scrambling gong on to make the deadline for any large company wanting to do international business and just wonder if the "this was planned and it will sound better anyway" is just putting the best face on a bad situation.

I have a sneaky suspician the used gear market will get even more action two years down the road and with that uptake in demand prices will rise accordingly.

Or maybe not............

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 29
"Precautions!
The SRS-4040A is intended for use only within Japan.
The product warranty will be invalid if the product is used outside Japan."

And says "日本国内向け製品です" everywhere. Hmmn.

From the announcement

Edit: Japanese misquoted

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 29
Here is something I found on a Hong Kong forum

Quote:

STAX LIMITED electrostatic audio products 15 March 2006

For the attention of distributors

Differences between SRM-006t/007t and SRM-006tII/007tII

1. Reasons for the changes:

The green LED for display purposes formerly used on the front panel of SRM-006t (no parts with compatibility in terms of shape) is no longer being produced and can thus no longer be obtained. This means that it has become impossible to continue production with the same design. In order to respond to RoHS that takes account of future environmental considerations, we are gradually responding by changing the surface processing of the mechanical parts chassis, altering stainless steel screws, and through the selection of parts. SRS-4040II has been recreated in a wider and more functional manner.

2. Points of improvement:

1) The front panel is created with a milling cutter. The panel has been designed with rounded corners. Hairline processing is carried out making use of the natural color of the aluminum material on the panel, resulting in an entirely revamped image.

2) SRM-006tII makes use of independent three-system input terminals adopting an electronic switching system similar to SRM-T2 (flat-ship top model headphone amp) . Of course, it also possesses parallel output terminals.

3) The previous SRM-006t model shared the HOT side of RCA input terminals and XLR input terminals, meaning that there was an exclusive method of use on one side only. Of course, it is also equipped with parallel output terminals.

4) In the case of the previous SRM-006t model, two-series signals were switched by means of a single acoustic relay on the left and the right sides respectively. SRM-006tII has 6 acoustic relays, three on the left and three on the right, and a change has been made to a system involving simultaneous switching of the HOT and the COLD sides of the two-series RCA input terminals. This means that there is no two-way interference because even if two sources or devices are connected at the same time, they are isolated in terms of direct current.

5) The XLR polarity of our previous products was based on the American system, i.e. #3: HOT,#2: COLD; #1: SEALED.

However, we have changed this to #3: COLD; #2: HOT; #1: SEALED, because

Europe is the mainstream as far as SRM-006tII is concerned. (The polarity can be changed by changing the internal jumper lines.)

The polarity of the XLR balance input of our previous products was based on the American system, i.e. #3: HOT, #2: COLD; #1: SEALED. However, we have changed this to #3: COLD; #2: HOT; #1: SEALED, because Europe is the mainstream as far as SRM-006tII is concerned.

6) The heater power source for SRM-006tII has been designed so as to reduce hum noise by making use of a low-ripple DC power source instead of the previous AC power supply. This has been made possible by adopting a rectifier circuit that combines a low-noise, low-loss Schottky Barrier Rectifier and a large-capacity electrolytic capacitor.

7) We have reviewed the circuit constants in an attempt to obtain a wider frequency range that will make it possible to make fuller use of the performance of SACD and DVD-Audio.

8) Frequency properties are as follows: SRM-006tII: 44 KHz to 80 KHz; SRM-007tII: 70 KHz to 100 KHz .

9) In order to deal with parallel exports and sales over the Internet, we have ensured that clear distinctions can be made by changing the symbol at the end.

For example, the names of products intended for sale on the Japanese domestic market are referred to as SRM-006tA and SRM-007tA.

10) In the case of products with Japanese specifications, it is no longer possible to change the

power voltage (100 V only) by cutting the 120 V drawer lead line.

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
And the pict on Stax's site

I notice it no longer sports a third low bias output for older headphone models.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 29
10) In the case of products with Japanese specifications, it is no longer possible to change the
power voltage (100 V only) by cutting the 120 V drawer lead line.

In addition to everything else, this means that the price of the new
versions will be going up significantly if you want native 120V or 240V
units.

Or lots of people are going to be buying conversion transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back