Stax SRM-001 distortion
Oct 31, 2008 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sniks7

100+ Head-Fier
With the volume knob in the 2 o' clock position I'm getting quite a bit of distortion with my SRM-001. On top of that, I seem to remember that position being uncomfortably loud (at the moment it isn't).

I've had them in for service, the engineer suggested that they are behaving as they should.. I'm not convinced, but neither am I particularly young, so both my memory and my hearing could be playing tricks..

Any ideas? And anyone with a nearly new pair in the Hampshire area (of England) that I try a comparison with?!

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Yup.. I use generally use rechargables, although there's a pair of new duracell in there at the moment.

As I remember it, the two o'clock position was painfully loud, but the sound was still well driven and crisp. Now it has distortion in the bass and sound a touch woofly..

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sniks7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup.. I use generally use rechargables, although there's a pair of new duracell in there at the moment.

As I remember it, the two o'clock position was painfully loud, but the sound was still well driven and crisp. Now it has distortion in the bass and sound a touch woofly..

how long have you had it, it could just be volume control noise. often after a very long time dirt will build up on the volume knob of the source and when turning it up you may get crackles and so on. this is unlikely the fault with yours tho as the symptoms dont match up too well.

it could well be a fault with the system as a whole, maybe something has worn out or burnt out causing inconsistencies in the efficiency. or its unlikely but the batteries maybe the wrong voltage and simply dont put out enough juice for the amp to drive. check the battery voltage against the rechargeable ones.its highly unlikely but just check it out.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 9
My guess is a connection issue with your cable. My cable broke and ultimately I ended up soldering the cable directly to the board. This wasn't as easy as I hoped however because the cable is ******* fragile. A few times when I put it back together I got the exact symptoms you're describing. At about 2 or 3 o'clock I was getting massive distortion.

I read through the DIY SR-001 mod thread and Audiocats is really familiar with this unit. He said the cable is very easy to short and just to be careful soldering. Eventually I got it right.

Basically I think its an issue with the cable and connector and if I were you I'd try to borrow someone else's cable and test it or just order a new cable altogether.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 9
I've had problems with the cables - I'm on my fourth! However, this one is very nearly new.

I think I shall try and get hold of another unit and compare the two..

I wouldn't mind getting the energiser upgraded too. Pity you have to have the battery-pack with it..

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 9
You know it could very well be the tracings on the connector on the unit itself. The copper tracings wear down and I noticed loose copper flakes bridging one connector to another. This was causing problems like static popping. Maybe it could be the problem on yours? You could take a look with a flashlight or take the unit apart to get a really good look.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 9
I also concur on batteries as the most likely issue. Sounds exactly what happens with weak or drained batteries. The light should have changed from green to red before you get these audio signs of course.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back