Stax SRD-7 (or anything like it) Owners Unite!
May 16, 2020 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SeniorBrother

New Head-Fier
Hello there, my first foray into the world of estats were the Koss esp95x with its little energizer. After readying around forums i decided to get a Stax energizer and adapt my Koss for them.

After looking around on ebay for older stax energizers I decided that I liked the idea of the SRD-7 and adapters like them. The cost savings was just a bonus.

I ran my Koss off the SRD-7/mk2 with a Emotiva basX A 100 I had for my RB42.
The improvement in sound was minor compared to the koss energizer but it gave me a platform to upgrade to what I have now, the L700s.

ohh boy...

I was wondering what other owners of adapter boxes (stax, molnir, woo, ifi) use to run their electrostats.

Can you run a headphone amp's balanced out to an SRD-7, or is the IESL the only route?

May 16, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 6
My current setup.

Attachments

• 20200516_145211_HDR.jpg
    20200516_145211_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 6
My current setup.
I am looking for a speaker amp to pair with the SRD-SB. How do you find the emotiva works with it? Did you use any other speaker amps before settling on the emotiva?

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 6
I am looking for a speaker amp to pair with the SRD-SB. How do you find the emotiva works with it? Did you use any other speaker amps before settling on the emotiva?
That combo sounded great. I did not try anything else enough to come to a conclusion.

It was not as detailed a proper high end stax amp but was very dynamic.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks. I keep browsing FB Marketplace and Let/Ebay/Craiglist/etc for vintage stereo amps but I know very little about them or speakers in general. I don't want to pay $200 for some vintage JVC only to find that it won't work for my Stax purposes. So the Emotiva is certainly attractive from that perspective.

And what cans are you using there? They look in really good shape, like they're new - but I thought only the old Stax Lambdas are regular bias (the newer ones being only Pro).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back