Stax SRD-6 + Bravo Audio V1 + HRT Music Streamer II setup possible?
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kalinov

New Head-Fier
I've been reading the forums here and finally got the bug (nay, demon) to try electrostatic headphones...sorry, I meant earspeakers :).  You could say I'm an audiophile noob with a big desire to enjoy my FLAC collection in uber musicality and detail, on a budget.  Pulled the trigger yesterday on a pair of Stax SR-Gamma headphones with an SRD-6/SB adapter.  The kit comes with a manual, but it would be nice to have everything prepared by the time the package arrives.  I e-mailed the seller on whether the adapter is 110V or 220V.  He was nice enough to answer that the adapter does not use mains power supply.  This puzzled me, as I thought that the adapter is getting its own power.  But it seems it gets it from the amp.  I know that these kinds of energizers/adapters use very low input power, but since I am using a headphone amp, I'm getting worried whether what I have can drive it.

Question 1 - The current setup I have is [FLAC on PC >> HRT Music Streamer II DAC >> Bravo audio tube amp (6922 JAN Sylvania tube) >> Canyon CNR-HS10].  Will this setup work with the electrostatics or do I need something more? From the photos that I've seen of the adapter (here and here) I see that the SRD-6 has bare wires which I presume need to go into the audio source.  Will they go into the output of the Bravo Audio amp (photo) or will I just blow the tube puppy up by doing so?  I can get or make an adapter for that to happen, but I don't know whether the amp has enough juice to power the adapter.  Also, I see four inputs on the back.  If the fat wire goes into the source, then what are these for?

Question 2 - Will the HRT Music Streamer + Bravo amp provide a clear enough source for the electrostatics?  I've read that for the electrostatic earspeakers to really shine, you need to have a really good source.  The HRT Streamer II is an async USB DAC and from what I've read it's really good for its low-end price.

Question 3 - This is more of a subjective question.  Will the move to electrostatics really be felt?  Music is my gluttony sin (I listen to everything that's quality) and I'm really looking for a complete submergence.

Any enlightenment on the issue is very welcome.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 5
That sounds reasonable.  I presume the Bravo Audio can be fed to the T-amp to still get the tubey sound out, correct?  Or will this introduce unnecessary noise?

As far as the inputs on the back of the SRD-6, do the clamps and the fat wire do the same thing (provide two ways to get the input), or do they have different purposes?

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
The Bravo is crap so I'd avoid it altogether.  The sound of the Bravo has nothing to do with "tube sound". 

The cable is the input, the connectors on the back are a switched output to connect speakers. 

Thanks, Spritzer!  The Bravo being my only point of reference, I guess I haven't heard "tube sound".  I will look into a real tube amp in the future.  Is the Little Dot MK III good?

Again, thanks for your help!  This really cleared things out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back