Stax Sr507 issue
May 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

StaxUser

New Head-Fier
First post up here after receiving my rig. Just got a brand new Sr507 and SRM007MkII combo and initial feeling is good even if the SRM007 was slaughter'ed in Innerfidellitys review of the SR009 with amps.

Anyway-I have a slight issue with the Sr507;
Right transducer has a - well I'm not sure what to call it- but it sounds in a way like a bad connection-but does not seem to be that. Shifting the lead while wearing the "earspeakers" make no change. However if I lift the right "cup" from the ear harsh noise is heard. It reminds me off the issue I had on the HD580 Jubilee where the springs had to be changed. It cracks and make a bad sound. If I lift the cup and slowly move the cup in and aout against the ear-I hear nothing. If I do so and touch or bump my ear the cracking sound comes.
The strange thing is that me and my buddy bought two complete brand new kits and we have the same thing - both on the right cup.
If I sitt and just listen to the music there is no problems but moving to change the CD could trig the same sound.
I'm technically enclined but do not whish to dismount a brand new setup so I was wondering if some one else has experienced this issue?
Should we just bring it back?
Thanks for a great resource for Headphone users.
N

May 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 20
I am getting a sr507 in a few days so I will confirm if it will have this issue too. I am hoping that the other lamda owners could chime in here, or perhaps you could post a reference in the Stax thread.

May 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 20
I am getting a sr507 in a few days so I will confirm if it will have this issue too. I am hoping that the other lamda owners could chime in here, or perhaps you could post a reference in the Stax thread.

If I'm not mistaking-the Stax thread is 100s of posts and makes it hard to find. Agree that all the posters would be ping'ed but I have trouble reading 100s of posts to find the info I need. Hopefully would some of the experienced users chime in on this :wink:

May 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 20
If it's a faulty stator than you would need to ship them back to the supplier and get them repaired. A repair can cost $400-500+ if a stator needs to be replaced. We've had a few user's here end up with faulty SR-507's here recently.

Good luck.

May 26, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 20
Yes it does rather sound like the Stax fart, but rather puzzling that it only ever happens on the right side. The sudden break of air seal should be possible on either side.

BTW StaxUser, the SRM-007 wasn't "slaughtered" by innerfideilty. Tyll rather liked it. The main thing against it, at the price, was that it didn't handle higher volumes so well, which isn't a problem if you listen at "safe" levels.

May 26, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 20
I have that too sometimes, that the fart happens more on one side, especially with the 007, because of its rotating pads. Sometimes you do not have the headphones symmetrically on your head. Or maybe you just have an asymmetrical head... 
biggrin.gif

Either way, it's harmless. If anything, the fart is assuring, because it implies the pads form a good seal to your head, which is what they should do for the best sound quality.

May 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
First post up here after receiving my rig. Just got a brand new Sr507 and SRM007MkII combo and initial feeling is good even if the SRM007 was slaughter'ed in Innerfidellitys review of the SR009 with amps.

Anyway-I have a slight issue with the Sr507;
Right transducer has a - well I'm not sure what to call it- but it sounds in a way like a bad connection-but does not seem to be that. Shifting the lead while wearing the "earspeakers" make no change. However if I lift the right "cup" from the ear harsh noise is heard. It reminds me off the issue I had on the HD580 Jubilee where the springs had to be changed. It cracks and make a bad sound. If I lift the cup and slowly move the cup in and aout against the ear-I hear nothing. If I do so and touch or bump my ear the cracking sound comes.
The strange thing is that me and my buddy bought two complete brand new kits and we have the same thing - both on the right cup.
If I sitt and just listen to the music there is no problems but moving to change the CD could trig the same sound.
I'm technically enclined but do not whish to dismount a brand new setup so I was wondering if some one else has experienced this issue?
Should we just bring it back?
Thanks for a great resource for Headphone users.
N

Had the same issue with a new pair of 407's and exchanged them with the dealer next day. End of problem. 

May 27, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 20
StaxUser, can you try to press on the left side while you're wearing the headphones to find out whether you can recreate the same sound on the left side?

Can you see a difference in the way the earpads are put on between the left and right sides of the headphones? Maybe the left pad has more wrinkles or is otherwise not as neatly put on as on the right side, which could explain a less good air seal, which in turn could be the reason why the left farts less. This is provided that it is indeed the Stax fart you're hearing, which it sounds like from your description.

To assure you that the Stax fart is not harmless, this is a quote from the note from Stax that you get with a SR-007:

Quote:
CAUTION

The SR-007 is a precision instrument. Please handle with care.
Because the earpad of the SR-007 is completely air tight the diaphragm is most susceptible to the air pressure difference between internal and external barometric conditions.
These conditions can lead to minor noises emitting from the earspeaker when positioning on and the head. This noise will in no way damage the earspeaker or in any way effect the performance.

STAX LTD

May 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 20
I have 2 pairs of SR202 and a pair of SR407, and I've never heard them fart. 
bigsmile_face.gif

The famous Stax fart is actually the sound of the diaphragm touching one side of the stators.  It's not that big deal as long as the diaphragm bounces back to where it should be at.  However, It can be a problem if it doesn't and sticks to one side of the stators.

If your headphones still play well, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Wachara C.

May 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
I have 2 pairs of SR202 and a pair of SR407, and I've never heard them fart. 
bigsmile_face.gif

The famous Stax fart is actually the sound of the diaphragm touching one side of the stators.  It's not that big deal as long as the diaphragm bounces back to where it should be at.  However, It can be a problem if it doesn't and sticks to one side of the stators.

If your headphones still play well, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Wachara C.

I have heard my SR-202 fart, as well as my SR-007.

Which one do you like better by the way, the SR-202 or the SR-407?

May 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 20
I have the 202 and 407.
They both fart if I lift the pad off my head or push on the cup. or am chewing food.
Doesn't bother me, I don't tend to do those things while listening to music. 

If you run a search, a few others have said the farting tends to be more so on one side only.

I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I prefer the 407 over the 202.
The 407's sound is more well rounded and mid-centric, not too much treble, but it is there in spades when called for.
The 202 is a treble monster (in a good way - no etch) mids are a bit recessed.
The bass on both is about the same to my ears. Typical stat bass, not boomy or overwhelming. I like it!

May 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 20
Thank you all for the feedback and sorry for the delayed post. I've been doing thinks I'm no expert at-DIY carpentry.

I was not aware of any "fart" symptoms or effects until now....The effect could be that the air pushes something inside while moving the cup. If I shake or move the cup as mentioned and don't touch my ear-meaning the air could move freely- I tend to hear nothing. However wearing the headset and pressing the outer house of the cup ( the black grill) it comes. The annoying part is that this came while simply wearing the phones on our heads and we thought there was some bad connection or something because it did for sure sound like a harsh- bad sound. Almost like when you move a wire which is loose- for sure not nice.
I would try to push the left cup to see if this makes any difference but I would for sure prefere this to go away. On a headset in this price range (they go for $1100 and more over here,just for the phones) I find it strange that they should have a artifact like this...
Michgelsen- wow if the quoted info is in the 007 manual I can't say anything else then wow again. Agree it a precision "instrument" but if these sounds comes while simly lifting your back from the chair,leaning forward and twist your head 60 degrees-I hope I'm not alone feeling this should not be like this...

I would check pushing the left cup and update later.
Thanks

May 28, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 20
For most people the problem is not as big, because you appear to experience the fart more often than usual. It's a minor thing, for me not even an inconvenience. It's just different behaviour than with dynamics. What you get in return though, is superb sound quality.
Stax have experimented with an internal port to alleviate the 'problem', with the SR-007mk2, but this hurt the sound quality which we naturally do not want. As I said, I do not see it as a problem, but I can see why people new to Stax are a bit frightened by it at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back