Stax SR-X9000
Mar 15, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #2,371 of 2,954
Where I said I hate something?
But okay makes no sense to write here because all the time the same people frustrating me.
I will test it if I like it but seems the takes a few further months.
Pics or it didn't happen lol. By pic I mean write out your screen name on paper and put the headphones on top. That's the only way I trust someone who thread craps constantly about a product they've never owned. Surprised you aren't pushing Audeze in this thread like before.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #2,372 of 2,954
Don't want to spam the thread with measurements, but I exported the graph and compared it to the Susvara:

12013262.png

I added a 3DB subbass shelf. Just want to see if it brings more consistency into the bass. I removed the 1-3 KHZ elevation. But the pre 2KHZ elevation is responsible for the great texture in the mids. I said in my first impressions that the texture remindes me of the Odin. The Odin also has an untypical elevation starting already before 2KHZ which now makes sense to me. Therefore I will leave it and just focus on the 3-4KHZ peak and decreased that by 4DB. WIth the added bass it should shift the balance towards a less brighter tuning without messing too much and attacking the identity of the sound signature.

Whoever is interested:

Preamp: -4 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 3

Edit: Played a bit more and this is what I ended up with (red curve):

1678912890053.png

Preamp: -10 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 8 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 3

The bass is really incredible now. I'd prefer it over Susvaras bass. Putting down the 3KHZ peak really helped me out getting some less fatigue.
Excellent! Thanks for sharing!

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #2,373 of 2,954
I did not want to, but was curious enough to play for some time with EQing X9000.
As said I'm not really unhappy with the tuning of X9000, but was fiddling a bit in the bass section and in the treble.
I found with reducing at 100 and 160 Hz each by 4 dB the bass was appearing slightly more precise/pure, without missing something.
Lowering in the treble region between 2 - 5 kHz was not successful. I could not find a setting that I over all preferred, compared to original.
I think this finetuning would need much more time then I spent with it.
First impression is, that I found my experience with EQing speakers confirmed. That I cannot change the character of a (fullrange) transducer by very simple EQing it. (Not speaking of real sound processing here.) I can model the frequency curve more to my liking though. Every transducer has its very own transient response, resonances, partial oscillations, but modifying the amplitude at certain frequences does not change these "genes".
Would be happy to read what the more experienced of you could reach in this regard.

One question to dynamo. When you lift the bass on your X9000 that much (tried your setting but was too much for my taste), is the bass still somehow precise at healtier levels in combination with SRM007t?

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #2,374 of 2,954
I was today with the X9000 at Austrian Audio (formerly Akg Vienna).....if you want I can gladly show my measurement
But I do not want to cause trouble

NOMAX

PS.lol

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #2,376 of 2,954
Measurements? Who cares about measurements? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 17, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #2,378 of 2,954
Measurements? Who cares about measurements? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Measurements are not the be all end all when it comes to great gear.
Some things measure great however are
not involving or enjoyable to listen too

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #2,379 of 2,954
Better to not post here Gregor :beerchug: It's an explosive thread :relaxed:

I am still thinking about it..behind the scenes anyway not
If then all should be able to benefit from the measurements

NOMAX

PS.lol

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #2,380 of 2,954
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #2,382 of 2,954
I was today with the X9000 at Austrian Audio (formerly Akg Vienna).....if you want I can gladly show my measurement
But I do not want to cause trouble

NOMAX

PS.lol
Would be cool if you could share the measaurements. There is already one measurement in the thread. I am also thinking sending mine in for a measurement. I think it would be interesting for some of us. :)

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #2,383 of 2,954
Would be cool if you could share the measaurements. There is already one measurement in the thread. I am also thinking sending mine in for a measurement. I think it would be interesting for some of us. :)
I don't think they are so different from the other measurement here. I think with EQ ist can be a very good headphone like LCD-5 with EQ. Bass is too low, 600hz - 2Khz looks strange too elevated is that the magic in the mids? The peak at 3Khz is not a problem for everyone. Differs from person to person how sensible here.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #2,384 of 2,954
I listen to classical and jazz and the bass is perfect for me!

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #2,385 of 2,954
I listen to classical and jazz and the bass is perfect for me!
Totally agree. I don't miss anything out if listening to acoustic music. Really impressive, especially the transparency and it is very effortless. However I am more of a cross-genre listener and normally not the real target group for Stax but as the X9000 is said to be more of an all-rounder (in the Stax world) I wanted to try it. I did a lot of listening and adjusting and finally ended up with this now:

1679315290422.png

Preamp: -11.6 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 21 Hz Gain 11.6 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 660 Hz Gain 1.3 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 850 Hz Gain -1.7 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 1300 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 0.9
Filter: ON PK Fc 2500 Hz Gain 3.6 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.6

It's not neutral, I also don't think the measurement is 100% spot on. But this sounds quite exciting to me so far and works accross genres. The bass is really incredible once eq'ed to higher levels. The transparency in the treble is still there. Not sure if this will be a headphone for me long-term, but at the moment I am really enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back