Stax SR-X9000
Aug 17, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #1,563 of 2,958
That is the complete opposite to what I found. No one had XF2’s available and prices are insane.
Brent Jesse laughed at me when I inquired a month ago.
That’s why I was asking…. I tried to get some for my PrimaLuna and could not find them or at reasonable price.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 17, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #1,564 of 2,958
Of course one of you referred to the Russian ones, not the Blackburns.
Exactly
If @hifixman wants to purchase new production EL34's then no problem - a dime a dozen
NOS EL34's - quite a different proposition

I recently found out there is a big difference between current production Chinese and NOS in my T2. Kerry has told me of his new preference for Chinese new production over his previous Russian Mullard new production - however I will let him chime in for more accuracy should he so desire.

I played around with several new production PSVANE's until I decided to bite bullet and hunt down some NOS Mullards. Not cheap (+ $1000 for a set) however there definitely is a difference.

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,565 of 2,958
Exactly
If @hifixman wants to purchase new production EL34's then no problem - a dime a dozen
NOS EL34's - quite a different proposition

I recently found out there is a big difference between current production Chinese and NOS in my T2. Kerry has told me of his new preference for Chinese new production over his previous Russian Mullard new production - however I will let him chime in for more accuracy should he so desire.

I played around with several new production PSVANE's until I decided to bite bullet and hunt down some NOS Mullards. Not cheap (+ $1000 for a set) however there definitely is a difference.
I'm rather new to EL34 tubes apparently lol, care to elaborate on the sonic differences? ( Which could be more informational and meaningful) I read Tesla EL34 brown base and Valve art also have great bass and stage. I try to avoid expensive Tubes games mostly due to the longevity of power tubes for long time listening and intense usage, guy as me lol ( and the disappointment for not being able to find exact matching replacement after the current tubes die, one by one)
I am not too big fan of PSVANE ph though cause it lacks musciality, and realism to my personal taste.

When I want that beautiful, pure, clean, and diamond like sound sig, I just will go with solid state systems like Sus with Mytek Empire, or Wells Audio for that sparkling silver cable like linear presentation. Personally speaking, what I'm looking for a tube system are bass, body, slams and musicality ( coming mostly from the amp, not the dac even some dacs can do that too) to differentiate with my other systems.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,566 of 2,958
Yea the NOS tubes are an entirely different ballgame. Much more expensive and harder to find (especially a really good and matched quad). I only have the one set I have (Philips EL34 made between 57-59') and even in the BHSE in which tube swapping seems to have less dramatic responses, the difference in quality of the present day Mullards is obvious.

That said, the costs are outrageous lol. I'm not into spending large sums of money to have large varieties of tubes. I love the NOS with the T2 I have and that may be it for me really. I may find another set to contrast w/them and I have some additional tubes coming from Kerry that I'll definitely test a bit, but for the most part I feel set.

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,567 of 2,958
Hey Richard @number1sixerfan
Which NOS are you using for the input 6922's?
Kerry supplied me with Jan-Philips 6922 and a dear 2 channel Naim/dCS friend loaned me a set of NOS Japanese Matsushita (branded Amperex and RCA) 6DJ8. My friend is paying me back (or cursing me out) for introducing him to Kerry - resulting in his ordering a T2.

My Tube "connection" thinks the Matsushita beats out the Philips - however he said the best are considered to be German Siemens. After spending close to $1300 for my quad of EL34's I am not sure I want to spend another $1k on Siemens input tubes. Even if I wanted to - my guy does not have any:slight_frown:

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,568 of 2,958
The el34 that I got my hands on have sky rocketed in price. The prices being asked now are laughable.

I got them before the pandemic in 2018.

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,569 of 2,958
Kerry supplied me with Jan-Philips 6922 and a dear 2 channel Naim/dCS friend loaned me a set of NOS Japanese Matsushita (branded Amperex and RCA) 6DJ8. My friend is paying me back (or cursing me out) for introducing him to Kerry - resulting in his ordering a T2.

My Tube "connection" thinks the Matsushita beats out the Philips - however he said the best are considered to be German Siemens. After spending close to $1300 for my quad of EL34's I am not sure I want to spend another $1k on Siemens input tubes. Even if I wanted to - my guy does not have any:slight_frown:
The 7DJ8 is very good sounding. The best 6DJ8 I have heard is an Amperex branded Russian Tube from the 80's. I have NOS in almost all the Amperex types, Siemens and on and on and I was blown away with the sound of the Russian tube.

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,570 of 2,958
The el34 that I got my hands on have sky rocketed in price. The prices being asked now are laughable.

I got them before the pandemic in 2018.
I just got an offer of a quad xf2 with an average measurement at 66 mA 12mAV, where 75 mA/11 mAV is considered 100%.

How would you characterize the sonic features of EL34 with cheap Russian ones? It seems as EL34 xf2 is hyped as the best Mullard EL34 tube.

Based on my limited tube rolling experience in Riviera and Woo amps, I really feel it is totally up to personal taste and synergy matching. I did collect many tubes but I always find myself going back to stock tubes for better body, netruality and harmonics even upgraded tubes could have maybe more beautiful trebles or enhanced details in a certain frequency or area. Therefore I feel like maybe sharing the sonic features of tubes could be very helpful and informational instead of claiming which is the best in that it is all subjective and case dependant.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #1,571 of 2,958
I just got an offer of a quad xf2 with an average measurement at 66 mA 12mAV, where 75 mA/11 mAV is considered 100%.

How would you characterize the sonic features of EL34 with cheap Russian ones? It seems as EL34 xf2 is hyped as the best Mullard EL34 tube.

Based on my limited tube rolling experience in Riviera and Woo amps, I really feel it is totally up to personal taste and synergy matching. I did collect many tubes but I always find myself going back to stock tubes for better body, netruality and harmonics even upgraded tubes could have maybe more beautiful trebles or enhanced details in a certain frequency or area. Therefore I feel like maybe sharing the sonic features of tubes could be very helpful and informational instead of claiming which is the best in that it is all subjective and case dependant.
Sometimes used tubes can sound excellent, even with a little lower readings than new but sometimes, depending upon how they were used, which you most likely would not know, the edge that makes them special is gone. Also some tubes have a hard vacuum, which allows them to hold up longer. I have X2 NOS and others and the best by far, tubes I have every heard was a quad (which I can't find after several moves) of unidentified EL34's that I know are Japanese. Larger but same basic tube shape as other Japanese tubes but still different. No seams in the top etc. Superb in every possible way, and they had been used in a guitar amp for a long time. You just don't know.

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #1,572 of 2,958

I'm actually still using the new production stock tubes (Jan-Philips and Amperex) from Kerry. I do need to look into comparing them with NOS tubes at some point, although again, another expensive rabbit whole.. so I'm not in a rush at this point given other purchases. But I do need to look into it!

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,573 of 2,958
I really appreciate when people qualify short/show listening sessions like this. Regardless, you're spot on regarding the stage and openness vs. intimacy and punchier/more forward presentation differences. I would want to own with the 009 or 007, rather than replacing either of them. Also get if ultimately that means they aren't for some ppl entirely.
+ @orcawithabat

Agree with you both.

I'm only a few days into my X9k listening, so my impressions are very rudimentary. But it is a case of contrast between the X9k and my 007mk1. The X9k is very wide and spacious, and has a super-balacned tuning with a delicate and ethereal feel to it. It is a master in understatement, gently exposing the finest details without pushing them at you. The 007mk1 in contrast feels more forward, enjoyably hard-hitting (uniquely so for estat) and attention grabbing. I love how they contrast and complemenet each other.

PS
Running both on Mjolnir Carbon. I'll be taking a few months in building my Rome (aka Kerry's T2 in my eyesights)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #1,574 of 2,958
Heard it today and it blew me away; if you asked me what one should "want" after owning an Omega, well this one is it for me.
Was driven by a Megatron-like amp (modifications i've made to their circuit), which needs to be factored in; with such a diameter, i've no idea how it would sound from "lesser" amps.

My sole issue here and who would have guessed it i know, is that i can't afford it.
A minor detail i'm certain you all agree is of no import.

I envy those of you owning it, happy happy listening, truly, to you all :)
(you bastards, lol)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #1,575 of 2,958
Thanks to @sammypop (bought from me a pair of 007 mk1, sn7xxxx) and two other folks in a different forum buying some of my photography gear.. i can officially, gleefully say!

It's been ordered!

Can't wait! And as always in such momentous occasions, advice is needed; how to hide crap from the missus successfully; a very important skillset i have alas never managed to master. Very good for your health too; you boys have any pointers, by all means share.
They just.. know things, it's quite disconcerting. Alien beings, go figure.
* I used to have parcels mailed to my brother's house, haha, but he started having problems with his wife, so we kinda had to stop that unfortunately. And i'm out of brothers.

And apologies for the double post dear mods, don't shoot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back