Stax Sr-X Mark III Impressions
Apr 15, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #212 of 223
Well, I have had my Koss ESP-950's longer, and I still think they do an awesome job. I have had the Stax since about 2005, they were given to me. With the of volume difference problem, I was not thinking I would use them much. So, I tried different amp and, I also ran a heat gun over the lower volume headphone piece. Work like a charm now.

Apr 25, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #213 of 223
Want to share.
I bought some Stax lambda pro in the past and got with it some user manual and some poster on A3 page for Stax sr-X
because of it I really want to get one, but because the pricing I prefer to keep work with my Lambda pro that I sure that works good as sr-X
I also having the Stax sr-30, that works with no bias voltage, I refoamed the earpads.

cant scan because of it sizes.
The poster:
KzQNqoY.jpg

obHcvOO.jpg

The Stax sr-30
0S8gzcg.jpg

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #215 of 223
Any one have any recommendations for replacement ear pads? I am thinking of trying some thicker pads and see how that changes the sound.

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #216 of 223
Hi there,
Does anyone here have some old Stax SR-X earpads that are peeling away that they don't need any more? I am looking for old SR-X pads with the peeling pleather :).

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #217 of 223
A great read this thread so thought it worth posting about my listening today to
1646400538088.png

The speed and clarity of the Stax enables me to fully hear all the very fast and intricate playing in a way that my floorstanders don't quite give ...its hard to explain but the electrostats help kind of separate each string being plucked and played

Listening gear today
Xbox straming spotify into
BenchMark DAC1 HDR as pre (not dac) set to line level out so really more of a pass through using its balanced XLR outs
Stax 353BKX in via SLIC Innovations Eclipse C Balanced XLR Cables
Stax SR-X Mk3 earspeakers that Spritzer modded to pro-bias and generally fettled up with new pads, stunning to listen through with mine being from 1978 iirc

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #220 of 223
I realise that a lot of SRX related matters have been posted in the great Stax thread, but I feel this one needs a resurrection. I've had a pair for about six months, but only recently made it work properly.

Pads were worn, balance between channels a bit askew. I cleaned the headphones up, removed and reconnected the driver terminals, and changed pads.

As most of you know, original pads were made with that humid sensitive polyurethane material that destroyed all PMB pads and the master tapes to Pink Floyd's The Wall. Original pads are almost impossible to get at a decent price in my part of the world, so I looked for substitutes. Found two options: Audio-Technica ESW 9 replacements, and Audio-Technica SJ5 DJ. Both fakes from Hong Kong.

Dismantled the SRX:

Removed and put back the three connectors (careful, the membrane is delicate):

The worn original pads:

The Audio-Technica EWS9, looks fine but not quite as comfortable and good-sounding as the SJ5 DJ alternative (original ESW9 pads may be better if you cand find them):

Preparing to attach the Audio-Technica SJ5 DJ pads, with double sided tape:

SJ5 DJ Pads in place:

'

Opening hole is about the same as the original:

Listened to and enjoyed the SRX very much yesterday. I also cleaned the original SRX pads, might be usable in the future:

A nice pair of cans:

Please help! How to "Remove and put back the three connectors" Stax SRX-Mk3.

Thank you.

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #221 of 223
The pads on my SRX-Mk3 are just plain shot. I was getting ready to order some generic pads that should fit and I remembered I had some brand new sheepskin ear pads from Brainwavz that did not fit their intended headphones. Way oversized and over ear pads but hey you don’t know till you try. So they work, just odd looking. Bass seems a bit deeper and more authority and highs were crystal clear.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #222 of 223
Since trying these oversized pads, I still like them better than the old and shot on ear pads. Interesting change in both bass and treble, the highs are nicely tamed and not as bright and the bass is both fuller and deeper. I now add about 3-4db bass boost below 56 Hz and just a gentle decrease until about 120 Hz. These are definitely interesting.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #223 of 223
A great read this thread so thought it worth posting about my listening today to
1646400538088.png

The speed and clarity of the Stax enables me to fully hear all the very fast and intricate playing in a way that my floorstanders don't quite give ...its hard to explain but the electrostats help kind of separate each string being plucked and played

Listening gear today
Xbox straming spotify into
BenchMark DAC1 HDR as pre (not dac) set to line level out so really more of a pass through using its balanced XLR outs
Stax 353BKX in via SLIC Innovations Eclipse C Balanced XLR Cables
Stax SR-X Mk3 earspeakers that Spritzer modded to pro-bias and generally fettled up with new pads, stunning to listen through with mine being from 1978 iirc
The 2 micron thin estat driver can move fast as HECK

A hummingbird wishes they were faster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back