Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #961 of 1,163
Thanks much @ahmedie , a few more things please
- Have you tried these earspeakers only with Stax, or also other energizer brands?
- By "rubber cushion", are you referring to that black rubber section between the headphone and the main earpads?
- RE the soundstage. Would you say these earpads effects the soundstage in any other way other than width? It sould seem the soundstage may become more 'hall-like' or narrow with how much those earpads cover the driver compared to the original ones.

For the HifiMan Jade II energizer it can be found for around $1K if without the headphones. Also I think I've tried the Jade II e-stat headphones and by memory I wasn't very impressed for some reason.

and what about @VRacer-111 what are your thoughts on the best amp for the L300 limiteds... and the other questions in posts above? I happened to see your name under a listing selling the 323 amp. Do you also think the 007tii is the best pairing?

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #962 of 1,163
- Have you tried these earspeakers only with Stax, or also other energizer brands?
I have phenomenon kggshv carbon which sound good match and used to have mjolnir srd-7 but they only sounded good with one amp out of 5
- By "rubber cushion", are you referring to that black rubber section between the headphone and the main earpads?
yes that round rubber which act as early stopper
- RE the soundstage. Would you say these earpads effects the soundstage in any other way other than width? It sould seem the soundstage may become more 'hall-like' or narrow with how much those earpads cover the driver compared to the original ones.
They have same size but more deeper opening compared to L700 pads. Also since I removed original mesh, vesper comes with mesh, so actually exposing more driver area with the vesper. I used 'stitches shawn mendes' track to compare pads just right now. compared them again with original l700 pads, my results soundstage of L700 pads without bluetak is equal to vesper pads with straw at bottom, and my guess L700 with blutak should produce same sound stage as vester's without straw, but L700 sounds a little open bcz of brighter signature, while vesper is more darker and bassier. With original pads you hear more treble and upper-mids, but with vesper bass details pop up more, also vocal a little bit step backwards with vespers.Actually you can test the vesper pads effect with L700 pads, pulling headphone away from your head so the pads can barely touch your face skin (0.5mm ~), you will notice hug bass increase, which is kinda similar how vesper pads sounds now.

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #963 of 1,163
Hey awesome - but could you clarify a few things please:
- The 1st pic of that round earpad with holes; is that from the Koss 95X? And is the 2nd photo the ZMF Universe pads?
- Of those do you still prefer the ZMF pads? And what attributes are improved, sonically? (soundstage, smoothed out treble, improved bass, dynamics / slam, etc.)?
- What is the SoCas adapter?
- Was this for your L300 normal, or limited version?

Oh you were using these pads on your L700 not L300 limited, right? So you say it basically loses a lot of the detail such as in the treble with a much darker sound? For me that sounds interesting, but I wonder if this may overdo it - velour pads have a tendency to reduce the treble by quite a lot and really change the bass signature as well. And especially the large size it occupies internally concerns me if it would also reduce the soundstage too much? It would be interesting to know this, and possibly even hear you compare it to the above earpads sound from Geezer Rock 001.

These were also mods with your L700, right? Also can you try again to insert the photo examples? The pic didn't come through and I don't understand your steps in part 1...
thanks!
The rectangular pads are from Aliexpress and are for Koss ESP 950 s. They fit perfectly on the L300 pad frames and have an excellent seal.

The more rounded perforated pads are ZMF Universe perforated leather pads mounted on SoCas adapters that fit into the L300 exactly like the Stax pad frames.

SoCas is out of Denmark. They have a website socas3d.com I think. There is a pair for sale on EBay the last time I looked.

I have rolled a lot of pads on Grados and ZMF s. The results are always interesting. On my L300 the Koss on L300 frames and ZMF s on SoCas frames give me better comfort, deeper bass and a bigger sound stage than the stock L300 pads did.

The Koss pads were only $12.75 and a much less expensive way to get started with the pad rolling. They are very easy to stretch on to the L300 pad frames.

I hope I answered all of your questions.

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #965 of 1,163
@Geezer Rock 001
Oh, thanks. So do you prefer the ZMF pads or the Koss pads? Or which one sounds better in which way? Also, do you recommend also having the blu-tac mod at the same time?
I have never tried the blu-tac mod. To my ears the Koss pads give you about 90% of what the SoCas frames and ZMF pads do.

If cost is no object, go with the Socas/ZMF option for around $100. Or you can spend $12.75 for the Koss pads and put them on your L300 pad frames.

In my case I had a pair of ZMF pads in my spares box so I ordered the SoCas adapters. Before they arrived I got the idea of trying the Koss pads as the pads that came with my used L300 were completely flat.

Either way you go it is a vast improvement over squashed stock L300 pads. But... I have never tried the L500 pads and they cost as much as the SoCas/ZMF combination.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #967 of 1,163
The verdict is in. For me at least.

Today I received an L300 with L500 pads from an EBay purchase. As it turns out Pollo Loco from the board was the seller.

Comparing the Koss and then the SoCas/ZMF Universe versus the 300/500, the Koss was much better than flat 300 pads. The SoCas/ZMF was much better than the Koss in bass and overall listening.

The 500 was a shock. I had to eq a bit of the bass out to keep the Stax sharpness and clarity where I wanted it. The shocking part for me was the kick drum. It has the actual boom and resonance of a live performance. Not overwhelming, but it was just more noticeably there, to my ears. No more thuds.

Comparisons were done side by side driven by a 353x.

The 500 blue tack mod has my noobie vote for best in class!

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #968 of 1,163
Thanks much @ahmedie , a few more things please

For the HifiMan Jade II energizer it can be found for around $1K if without the headphones. Also I think I've tried the Jade II e-stat headphones and by memory I wasn't very impressed for some reason.

and what about @VRacer-111 what are your thoughts on the best amp for the L300 limiteds... and the other questions in posts above? I happened to see your name under a listing selling the 323 amp. Do you also think the 007tii is the best pairing?

I've not had many different e-stat setups, but I will say a stereo speaker amp with e-stat transformer and running EQ for my L300 Limited is my preferred setup over any STAX amp I've heard and the aftermarket options as well. Bass is solid (goes deeper and has more impact) and sound is more full and punchy. The SRM-323S is a decent driver, but just not the same as the NAD C275BEE stereo amp and Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 transformer in low end presence and full, vibrant sound. Mjolnir now has a Lundalh transformer based unit I'd really like to upgrade to, but it's much pricier than the STAX SRD-7 transformer based units (as in close to double the cost.) It's the same price as the Mjolnir Octave II amp - so shipped your likely looking at roughly $1320. But if you already have a stereo amp you love and like a fuller, warmer tuned sound, then it stereo amp + transformer makes for a much more affordable 'alternative' to the Carbons and the like....

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #969 of 1,163

Today I received an L300 with L500 pads from an EBay purchase. As it turns out Pollo Loco from the board was the seller.

Comparing the Koss and then the SoCas/ZMF Universe versus the 300/500, the Koss was much better than flat 300 pads. The SoCas/ZMF was much better than the Koss in bass and overall listening.

The 500 was a shock. I had to eq a bit of the bass out to keep the Stax sharpness and clarity where I wanted it. The shocking part for me was the kick drum. It has the actual boom and resonance of a live performance. Not overwhelming, but it was just more noticeably there, to my ears. No more thuds.

Ah... so you got the pair I modded and he got from me then?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sold-fs-stax-l300-custom-modded.907140/#post-15122752

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #971 of 1,163
Jan 28, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #972 of 1,163
Tears are not far off when one reads the Jade tear down by Spritzer (aka owner of Mjölnir Audio). "Same build quality as we've come to expect from Hifiman...i.e. absolute ****ing trash"

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/13505-hifiman-jade-ii/
Well I had no idea about the internals, just happened to try the Jade II energizer since it happened to be at a meet. Somehow it did sound fantastic in all areas except maybe bass slam, and others agreed. Well I find it encouraging that the L300 LE can sound that much better with such a less than perfect energizer, so maybe it will sound even better with one that was suggested here, such as the 007tii or Phenomenon KGSSHV. @ahmedie which of those two do you prefer most?

Jan 28, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #973 of 1,163

Hey congrats for finding such great on your system, and thanks for dealing with my questions as I'm still trying to grasp it. So if I got it right, you're saying your favorite is the L300 with L500 pads, but that applies only to your L300 regular edition, but for the L300 Limited Edition you prefer it with the SoCas/ZMF pads - so the latter is what you'd recommend for my L300 LE, right? If so, I'm also quite curious to see what the SoCas/ZMF looks like when it fits on the L300's if you have a photo. Thanks again

Jan 28, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #974 of 1,163
I've not had many different e-stat setups, but I will say a stereo speaker amp with e-stat transformer and running EQ for my L300 Limited is my preferred setup over any STAX amp I've heard and the aftermarket options as well. Bass is solid (goes deeper and has more impact) and sound is more full and punchy. The SRM-323S is a decent driver, but just not the same as the NAD C275BEE stereo amp and Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 transformer in low end presence and full, vibrant sound. Mjolnir now has a Lundalh transformer based unit I'd really like to upgrade to, but it's much pricier than the STAX SRD-7 transformer based units (as in close to double the cost.) It's the same price as the Mjolnir Octave II amp - so shipped your likely looking at roughly $1320. But if you already have a stereo amp you love and like a fuller, warmer tuned sound, then it stereo amp + transformer makes for a much more affordable 'alternative' to the Carbons and the like....
Very interesting options I never considered! So you're saying Mjolnir Audio makes electrostat transformers like an energizer but you still need another amp to power it, and the result (can be) better than from any single energizer. To avoid too much bulk I may shy away from this idea, unless perhaps Mjolnir Audio may have a decent transformer that may be driven well enough with an efficient amp? I have a custom SET transformer-coupled tube headphone amp on the way from Glenn Studios (similar to his GEL3N amp) and it also has an 8-ohm output to drive efficient bookshelf speakers, so ideally I would run that into the e-stat transformer, and I would also be able to flavor the sound with tubes. I'm not sure on the amount of watts this puts out but would it have to have a certain minimum to sound great with deep impactful, punchy bass and potential volume amount, or is the something that can either be customized on order of their e-stat transformers, or is otherwize dependent on the model I buy?

I would need to use standard RCA interconnects though.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #975 of 1,163
Well I had no idea about the internals, just happened to try the Jade II energizer since it happened to be at a meet. Somehow it did sound fantastic in all areas except maybe bass slam, and others agreed. Well I find it encouraging that the L300 LE can sound that much better with such a less than perfect energizer, so maybe it will sound even better with one that was suggested here, such as the 007tii or Phenomenon KGSSHV. @ahmedie which of those two do you prefer most?

I have L300 Limited and they are amazing, after you EQ them a little. I *highly* encourage you to use EQ to tweak the sound to your liking instead of changing amps. Much much easier and cheaper way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back