Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #813 of 1,163
Fastest way is, while unit is on turn the power off at the mains and wait 5min for the power to discharge.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #815 of 1,163
Infected Mushroom "Guitarmass" showcases the L300's incredibly speed that very, very few other headphones can match.

Good man! Infected Mushroom has quite a bit of good stuff :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #816 of 1,163
I’m quite enjoying the L300 with the 252s, I have the L700 pad on it and I’m waiting for a KGSSHV mini amp to arrive. I am wondering if upgrading to the L700 could be a worthwhile decision. I like very much the presentation of the L300 (very present, fast and forward sounding). What will I gain/lose with the L700? Thanks!

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #817 of 1,163
I’m quite enjoying the L300 with the 252s, I have the L700 pad on it and I’m waiting for a KGSSHV mini amp to arrive. I am wondering if upgrading to the L700 could be a worthwhile decision. I like very much the presentation of the L300 (very present, fast and forward sounding). What will I gain/lose with the L700? Thanks!

You lose a bit of the lower treble forwardness and higher midrange shout for a more balanced and even presentation. You get slightly better bass extension as well. The stage is quite a bit wider compared to the very intimate L300. The headband is amazing compared to that of the L300 if you have a big head. If you think that the L300 sounds good you will most likely enjoy the L700 as well, but you will have to get used to smoother treble and less shout (imo) compared to the L300. The L700, like all lambdas, is still very forward sounding, but unlike L300 it's not to its detriment.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #818 of 1,163
The L300 just conforms to compensation curves almostl perfectly in the upper mids. It's the only headphones I've owned so far where I did not bump up the 1kHz-3Khz range through EQ. Unfortunately, this nearly perfect conformity to a compensation curve gets interpreted as "shouty." I for one find it very natural sounding, but perhaps that's because I find the vast majority (>90%) of headphones too relaxed in that frequency range.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #819 of 1,163
The L300 just conforms to compensation curves almostl perfectly in the upper mids. It's the only headphones I've owned so far where I did not bump up the 1kHz-3Khz range through EQ. Unfortunately, this nearly perfect conformity to a compensation curve gets interpreted as "shouty." I for one find it very natural sounding, but perhaps that's because I find the vast majority (>90%) of headphones too relaxed in that frequency range.

I believe you, I think upper mids is where preferences can really show and it can be hard to find an agreement, mostly because the acoustic impedance of the ear plays such a huge role in that area. For all we know I have a pinna that boosts that area way more compared to your pinna, thus our perception differs. I hold the firm belief that all lambdas are slightly shouty, some more than others, but many love the lambdas and like to call them neutral. Whether this is due to our ears' acoustic impedance or just simple preference I don't know.

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #820 of 1,163
Hello,

Currently my setup is Aune S6 -> Little Dot mk3 SE -> Hifiman HE-560 (XLR cables)
I couldn't resist to try Stax so I ordered Stax srs-3100 from Ebay (Japan)

Will Aune S6 be working well with Stax system?

I know signal provided to Stax energizer will not be balanced as I use currently. However I hope to hear something new that pleases ears :wink:

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #821 of 1,163
Has anyone here compared a L300 with L700 pads + headband vs L300 limited edition with L700 pads + headband? If so, is the limited edition worth double the price over the regular L300 if they both use L700 earpads and headband?

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #822 of 1,163
Has anyone here compared a L300 with L700 pads + headband vs L300 limited edition with L700 pads + headband? If so, is the limited edition worth double the price over the regular L300 if they both use L700 earpads and headband?

First off, let me say outright I don't own either L300 variant. I do own an L700.

The main draw of the L300LE, I believe, is that the driver is close to the L700 driver. Identical? Maybe yes, maybe no....I haven't seen anything definitive either way. But I don't think many would disagree that it's darn close.

So......if you look at the 300LE as a mini-L700, then it's a downright steal.

Just my opinion.

Feb 26, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #823 of 1,163
First off, let me say outright I don't own either L300 variant. I do own an L700.

The main draw of the L300LE, I believe, is that the driver is close to the L700 driver. Identical? Maybe yes, maybe no....I haven't seen anything definitive either way. But I don't think many would disagree that it's darn close.

So......if you look at the 300LE as a mini-L700, then it's a downright steal.

Just my opinion.

That's true, but price is also a pretty significant jump from the L300, and I've already spent too much this past month lol. I figured at the L300 price, the law of diminishing returns would kick in significantly. But if the improvements are truly significant, I may really consider making that jump somehow. There was one review that actually preferred the L300 + L700 pads over the L300LE. So more opinions of this comparison would be great.

By the way, I do want a sound that's good, but also something unique compared to my current headphone collection for a different listening experience. I'm afraid of investing the money and they end up sounding more or less like my modded and EQ'd HD800 (which I did read from a review of someone comparing their L700 to their EQ'd HD800).

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #824 of 1,163
That's true, but price is also a pretty significant jump from the L300, and I've already spent too much this past month lol. I figured at the L300 price, the law of diminishing returns would kick in significantly. But if the improvements are truly significant, I may really consider making that jump somehow. There was one review that actually preferred the L300 + L700 pads over the L300LE. So more opinions of this comparison would be great.

By the way, I do want a sound that's good, but also something unique compared to my current headphone collection for a different listening experience. I'm afraid of investing the money and they end up sounding more or less like my modded and EQ'd HD800 (which I did read from a review of someone comparing their L700 to their EQ'd HD800).

There's already at least a couple users who prefer the L300 to the L300 LE, just FYI. My EQ'd L300 is downright amazing, and I'm still wowed by it even after 300 hours of usage. Exquisite clarity, detail, and lightning speed that no dynamic headphone matches. You may get the speed of the L300 from a couple hifiman planars, but you still won't get the pinpoint precision of imaging, nor the layered-ness, nor the height...the transparency. Keep in mind that the L300 has a forward and somewhat close presentation; don't expect a massive soundstage.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #825 of 1,163
There's already at least a couple users who prefer the L300 to the L300 LE, just FYI. My EQ'd L300 is downright amazing, and I'm still wowed by it even after 300 hours of usage. Exquisite clarity, detail, and lightning speed that no dynamic headphone matches. You may get the speed of the L300 from a couple hifiman planars, but you still won't get the pinpoint precision of imaging, nor the layered-ness, nor the height...the transparency. Keep in mind that the L300 has a forward and somewhat close presentation; don't expect a massive soundstage.
What are your EQ settings btw? I might try it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back