Stax SR-507 with SRM323A
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Abubizarre

New Head-Fier
I have just received the SR-507 from PriceJapan. Really excellent service.

However, I have only had them an hour, so I'll give at least a few days for burn-in.

I will then compare them with STAX SR-303, Sennheiser HD650, and Alessandro MS2. I am using the SRM323A I bought in Japan, source: a PC Monster, Musiland 02 US feeding into Yulong DAH Mark II, with Van den Hul the First Ultimate cables, then outputted into the STAX amp with VdH the First cables.
I will be using MP3 audio files encoded at 128kB/s...

No... only joking about the last bit, FLAC files and WAV I think.

Any idea how long I should give for burn-in? 

My first impressions of the SR-507, are a quite forward presentation. Not as comfortable as the SR-303, but not bad, as my head is of Mekonesque hugeness. The different in bass between the SR-303 and SR-507 is significant and there seems to be more warmth in the SR-507s. The HD650s now seem really veiled by comparison, but the sound is perhaps less fatiguing. 

My experience is that burn-in is a real phenomenon and has quite a marked effect.
So more later, after burn-in...

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 21
I am not sure how much burn-in will affect it, but the 507 is a damn good phone, although not as "Lamba" sounding as the older ones. You might want to try out getting some real leather pad (507/404LE pads) on them, they turned my 404Signature to 404LE (LE is pretty much only leather pads on sig anyway).

The 507 played along with my modded 404Sig clearly shows the 507 is a lot warmer, but both performed A LOT better when paired with the SRM-727 instead of the 323 or 300.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 21
A stock or modded 727? and 323 A or S? 
I liked the SR-202 better from a KGSS than the SRM-717 myself,  though it was mainly due to the cleaner sound versus the slight warnth from the 717, not from any dynamic range differences.

OP, money well spent i'd say, enjoy the new setup!

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 21
It was a stock 727 and 323S. To be honest, I actually prefer the 300 over the 323S even.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 21
Great ! Look forward to the review. I was considering maybe trying out a Lambda. FWIW, I A/Bed the KGSS and the SRM323s for awhile and I couldn't really tell a difference. The differences were extremely minimal. I'd say the SRM323s sounds like 99% of the KGSS at a third of the cost and size. I have my 323s on maximum volume all the time though due to some hum in the middle of the pot.

As for burn-in, other than mental burn-in, the headphones will be burned in in seconds. There's no coil and the driver is extremely thin.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Apa kabar? They're not so beautiful - but I'll post a photo later. Jumpa lagi 

Kabar baik, bagaimana dengan anda?

Never thought before you''ll greet me with indonesian language haha

anyway, I always curious about this newest Lambda, especially compare to 404LE with the same set up

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 21
Sorry chaps, there was a problem with L-R balance and lots of distortion, I'm sending it back. Hopefully I'll get a working pair next time
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Sorry chaps, there was a problem with L-R balance and lots of distortion, I'm sending it back. Hopefully I'll get a working pair next time
smily_headphones1.gif

Another Head-Fi'er I know sent his 507s back to Japan with the exact same problem a few months ago. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 21
I received the SR507s back from Japan very quickly. A so-called friend of mine promised to post them before and kept them for over a month! - needless to say not my friend anymore - hence this is the reason for the delay

At this moment I am listening to Died in the Wool by David Sylvian. A very atmospheric album which suits my mood perfectly - yes I am miserable indeed

In comparison with the SR303s there is a great deal of difference. the SR507s have far superior bass resolution, and the atmosphere that these earspeakers convey is superb. I used to think that nothing could get better than the SR303s but it seems I was wrong.

I will give a better review later as I am a bit pushed for time. I will be comparing the SR507 with SR303 with HD650 with Grado 325

However, as I am a little new at this game, I need help form you all regarding the criteria I should compare. What am I looking for in the review?

Best regards to all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back