Stax SR 507 or 407 ?
May 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

supertrichi

Head-Fier
Hi there,
I read that the stax SR 507 and 407 have the same transductor.
I suppose they play at the same way.
In your opinion the price difference have make sense?

Sorry, Change forum
redface.gif

May 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 49

I haven't listened to the SR-407, but I own the SR-507. To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not a big fan of it. The Stax SR-007 ("Omega 2") is much better. The SR-507 is too bright, it sounds somewhat harsh, the soundstage isn't impressive, and it's not very comfortable (the ear opening is somewhat too small.) I also noticed something annoying with the placement of vocals where they sound a little pushed to the back in space compared to my other headphones (such as the SR-007).

There are quite a few dynamic headphones that sound better than the SR-507 in my opinion.

May 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 49

Quote:

I haven't listened to the SR-407, but I own the SR-507. To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not a big fan of it. The Stax SR-007 ("Omega 2") is much better. The SR-507 is too bright, it sounds somewhat harsh, the soundstage isn't impressive, and it's not very comfortable (the ear opening is somewhat too small.) I also noticed something annoying with the placement of vocals where they sound a little pushed to the back in space compared to my other headphones (such as the SR-007).

There are quite a few dynamic headphones that sound better than the SR-507 in my opinion.

What amp are you using?

May 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 49
About the pads and soundstage, I guess this is where personal preference comes in. I very much enjoy my SR507. But you are right about one thing, sometimes I do feel that the 507 is slightly over on the bright side.

May 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 49

Quote:
About the pads and soundstage, I guess this is where personal preference comes in. I very much enjoy my SR507. But you are right about one thing, sometimes I do feel that the 507 is slightly over on the bright side.

The SR-507 aren't bad by any means, just not among my best, and not particularly enjoyable in my opinion. The SR-007 are much better as I mentioned. I also prefer the HD800 and HE-6 to the SR-507 overall. All of these are more expensive than the SR-507, so this may not be a fair comparison.

May 13, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 49
I had the 404 Signature and the sound was bright.
I read that the new diaphgram of new generation ( 507/407/307/ ) play different, more balanced.

Now, I have understood they have the same sound!
Is it so ?

May 13, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 49
I heard both SR-507 and SR-007A on a very good modded Stax tube amp - for my personal preferences I preferred the SR507 although both were great. For my tastes they are actually the best phones I have heard, I prefer them not just to the 007 but the LCD-2, HE6, T1 and certainly the disapointingly bad (for my tatses) HD800.

This just highlights a point about asking advice - all you're going to get is honest opinion. You have no way of knowing if your tastes are closer to the guy who thinks the 507 is worse than all those phones, or me who prefers them.

One thing I'll say is you can get the SR407 (or probably even the SR307), buy some replacement SR507 pads and you'll basically have a much cheaper SR507.

May 13, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 49
TBH depending on your view on cables - you may as well get the 307 and add the leather pads - its the same driver in all the Lambdas bar the basic model as far as I know anyway (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

The SR507 has the different headband of course and maybe the extra clamp changes things a bit I don't know, but the pads is definitely the big thing. I put those on my 303 and the sound changed to be pretty close to the 507, not quite there but close. I figure the difference between what I have and the 507 is the same difference as between the 303 and 307 so when I come to upgrade I think I'll go the route of getting the 307 and swapping the pads over again.

Do prefer the sexy black of the 507 and the nicer headband and forks, but its a lot of extra money to pay for style!

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 49
Stax SR-307, judging by the parameters, seems to have differnet diaphgram than SR-407 (which looks like similar to SR-507), and has different cable.
What is the real difference in the sound signature between them both? At the start I like to buy the cheapest but the good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back