STAX SR-5 Noob Question
Nov 22, 2008 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mourip

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just bought a pair of Stax SR-5's with the SRD-5 adaptor. It is my first foray into Stax goodness and I am pleased. The sound is excellent for any phones but really amazing considering how inexpensive they are and how old these are...

A couple of questions after doing the obligatory searching. Yes, I read through part of the NEW and OLD Stax threads but I may not have enough years left to read every gem in the old thread :)

1. The Stax "adaptor" has four speaker wires. Black\red and blue/white. Which is ground(-) and which is plus(+) for the two pairs? (no manual and could not find one online). I did get music using the black and blue wires as ground but I want to do it right.

2. It seemed as if one channel was weak when I first started it up. Is this the dreaded channel imbalance problem? It seemed to go away after 5 minutes or so. I need to test a bit more tomorrow.

3. Is there a minimum wattage for an amp to be hooking these up to. Would a 45 or 2A3 amp be too puny or should I just try it?

Thanks!

Paul

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 7
1. For the SRD-7 it goes like this. Hopefully its the same colors coming out of the SRD-5 as well.

2. It may be a slight channel imbalance. But probably just more likely that its been a while since they last were used and lost more charge on one side than the other.

3. I would guess a (1) watt or so. People around here live happily with 7-8 watts, and even seen some with 2-3 watts.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply and the photo!

Regarding the speaker wires. I probably was not too clear. The SRD-5 has 4 colored wires that come from it and go to the amp. I guess that they are more precisely input wires. I am trying to figure out which of them is plus and minus.

Best,

Paul

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes, they are input wires.
I were hoping the SRD-5 use the same colored cables as the SRD-7, and hence you should be able to use the color coding as seen on the sticker on the SRD-7 picture I posted.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 7
The SRD-5 doesn't have the same input wiring as the SRD-7 but rather one figure 8 lead for each channel. I can't remember right now which is which but switching the adapter to speakers and using a continuity meter between the wires and the speaker connectors on the back will make it very clear.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SRD-5 doesn't have the same input wiring as the SRD-7 but rather one figure 8 lead for each channel. I can't remember right now which is which but switching the adapter to speakers and using a continuity meter between the wires and the speaker connectors on the back will make it very clear.

Krmathis. On my PC the colors in the photo did not show too well, but thanks...

Spitzer. Great idea. Why didn't I think of that!

beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mourip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Krmathis. On my PC the colors in the photo did not show too well, but thanks...

Colors? The sticker on the back side of the SRD-7 is black text on white ground.
Anyway, 'spritzer' verified that they are different. His method about using a meter is smart though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back