Stax SR-5 and SRD6?
Dec 1, 2007 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
How are these? Worth snagging up? What're they worth?

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 21
The SR-5 is an older model that came out in the mid 1970's. They are very non-fatiguing and sweet sounding with a pretty good soundstage, very nice mids. rolled off in the bass and very high treble. The sound is a little colored compared to the SRX-MKIII, but I find them more enjoyable and musical. I listen to mine a lot. They are especially good with piano and string music, decent with vocals. They are not for someone who wants booming bass.

There is a pair on Ebay right now-expires in a few hours. They have a cracked swivel mount, so their value is somewhat diminished. They probably work ok. New pads are available for AudioCubesII.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't buy a set for much more then 150-180$ but it does depend on what type of SR-5 they are. There were a total of 4 versions.

Yep, market value hovers at around $150 for a pair in good condition with transformer (but not of SR-5N or gold, which are more expensive), though some auctions go higher. I'm not sure what the fourth variant would be. Spritzer?

Assuming you have a stereo amp that can drive them, this is a real bargain: I like mine better than any dynamic headphone I've ever had, including big guns like the A250, (old) DT990, Sextett, or even the hybrid K340. You'd have to go up to an SR-X to beat them, and even then it would only be by a nose, and as billinkansas points out, at the cost of a little colored musicality. At current prices, the SR-5 may be the perfect starter 'stat.

Generally buying just before Christmas is a good idea with old Stax, as the demand for used items is lower in the gift-buying season, but people still list tons of them. So you may get a deal.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-5 is an older model that came out in the mid 1970's. They are very non-fatiguing and sweet sounding with a pretty good soundstage, very nice mids. rolled off in the bass and very high treble. The sound is a little colored compared to the SRX-MKIII, but I find them more enjoyable and musical. I listen to mine a lot. They are especially good with piano and string music, decent with vocals. They are not for someone who wants booming bass.

There is a pair on Ebay right now-expires in a few hours. They have a cracked swivel mount, so their value is somewhat diminished. They probably work ok. New pads are available for AudioCubesII.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Yup, the guy lives down the road from me, so I could actually pick them up myself. I had no idea what the value was, but Iw as thinkin of picking them up...

I was just wondering what the value is, and how they sounded and if they're worth a listen. I want to give stats a try, but didn't know where to start....

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, the guy lives down the road from me, so I could actually pick them up myself. I had no idea what the value was, but Iw as thinkin of picking them up...

I was just wondering what the value is, and how they sounded and if they're worth a listen. I want to give stats a try, but didn't know where to start....

I paid $160 something for my set about a year ago. They were in good shape, save for some tobacco stink that I was able to kill with goo gone and organic cleaners. I sold them when I got my SRX-MKIII's. Then I missed them and swapped my K601's to the guy to get the same set back. I think that they are worth the $160 something for sure.

I see that the Ebay set went for less. Did you get them?

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, yes, the NB, how could I forget.

There were two versions of the N and NB. The earlier one used cloth covered cables but in 1985(?) the switch was made to the better ribbon cable. It fixes some issues all the cloth covered cables had such as slight sibilance and a shut in soundstage.

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were two versions of the N and NB. The earlier one used cloth covered cables but in 1985(?) the switch was made to the better ribbon cable. It fixes some issues all the cloth covered cables had such as slight sibilance and a shut in soundstage.

The cloth-covered cables may not sound as good, but I love the way they look. They remind me of the cord on my mom's old steel-bodied steam iron. Purposeful, old school.

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cloth-covered cables may not sound as good, but I love the way they look. They remind me of the cord on my mom's old steel-bodied steam iron. Purposeful, old school.

Damn kettle cords...
tongue.gif
Their main fault is the high capacitance and the horrible wire used. It looks like HEAudio is falling into the same pit with their new headphone.

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 21
Nah...I didn't get them. I wanted to, but I couldn't bite the bullet :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 21
I have the SR-5's with the silver SRD6 amp. Amazingly, they are in near mint condition (how did I do that over 30 years?).The cloth cord was replaced back in the mid-80's. I am the original owner too..my Mom bought them for me as a B-Day present from CSA Audio in Montclair NJ in 1981 or so.

They work perfectly, and are definitely shy in the low-end. But I have never heard better definition or clarity from any headphone or speaker system (including my buddies $150k Wilson Alexandria Speakers!). $150 is a no brainer for a working pair.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 21
Dang, fired up the SR5s today on my day off and couldn't take them off! So addictive! Cheers!

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Dang, fired up the SR5s today on my day off and couldn't take them off! So addictive! Cheers!

Sorry to bump this thread, but since jvandyk has kept this alive, I wanted to add that I picked a used pair SR5s in Tokyo, not at all sure what version they are, but the sound is really addictive, have been listening for the past several days, in rotation with 007 and 404LE; Bartok string quartets and Ornette Coleman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back