STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jan 7, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #976 of 1,367
Well I own 009 and 007 MKI for quite long time now and I've never heard of anything like it.

I was asking, because I assumed that if you are stating something like that you are able to support this on technical level.

Nevermind.

(I'm not sure if Google really is anyone's friend :) )

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #982 of 1,367
I had been listening to Raal Sr1a last two weeks enjoying its open and fast sound.

Today I am back to Stax 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon for comparison.

009s is not a slouch in speed with more bass than Sr1a.

Both of them sound nice.

009s sound more analog with rounder and liquid texture.

Sr1a sounds more digital with lively and open signature but without harsh edge.

If I have to choose one, I will go for Sr1a.

But I will keep both since I also enjoy analog sound out of 009s.

Purist Audio Design balanced cable connected between Dave and Carbon amp help 009s sound rounder.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #983 of 1,367
I have an eq question I was hoping members of this community might help me answer.

I got my 009S about 2 months ago. It's been love every since! Though I have no complaints about the bass quantity and extension - using a testing CD I can easily hear down to 20 hz - I sometimes wonder if it could be punchier. I attribute this anxiety to spending too much time on headfi!

Yesterday I tried using some eq'ing in the bass to see how I liked the change. I'm a complete novice when it comes to equalization. So I added 5db as a "lower shelf" at 75 hz.

Though the eq'ing brought the bass forward, I also found it fatiguing. Was I doing it the wrong way?

My guess is that over the long run I'll run the Stax WITHOUT eq. Nevertheless, I would like to play around with eq just to see what kind of impact it has. Any suggestions for good settings, etc would be appreciated.

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #984 of 1,367
Which amplifier are you using?

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #985 of 1,367
I currently have the stax d50. But I'm about to put in an order for a carbon.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #987 of 1,367
Thanks! That's what i was thinking. That's also why I'm thinking of a carbon rather than (for instance) a bhse or a woo amp/energizer

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #988 of 1,367
While I'm at it, I've got another question. I know that mjolnir makes energizers using KG's designs (please forgive any errors I might be making in this regard). Are there other reputable sellers? I'm asking because I see kgsshv's on eBay at good prices from time to time. Don't know how risky it is to buy there

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #989 of 1,367
While I'm at it, I've got another question. I know that headamp makes energizers using KG's designs (please forgive any errors I might be making in this regard). Are there other reputable sellers? I'm asking because I see kgsshv's on eBay at good prices from time to time. Don't know how risky it is to buy there
Kgsshv Carbon is kind of DIY product based on KG's design.

There are several builders who has good reputation.

If you find good value in Ebay then you have to ask builder and get more information about the builder in Headfi.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #990 of 1,367
Thanks. That makes perfect sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back