STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jun 5, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #200 of 1,367
I just ordered a set. I haven't had Stax headphones for many years. I don't know why?
I will post my review after they arrive. Expecting delivery in late June.

Congradulations. What amp are you using for them?

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #203 of 1,367
Congradulations. What amp are you using for them?
Thanks!
I ordered the Stax SRM T8000 at the same time. I considered several Woo audio amps (which would have been great) but I went for the Stax primarily because the tubes are hidden and not exposed and I was concerned about damage to exposed tubes from dogs, enthusiastic cleaners, and visiting urchins!

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #204 of 1,367
Thanks!
I ordered the Stax SRM T8000 at the same time. I considered several Woo audio amps (which would have been great) but I went for the Stax primarily because the tubes are hidden and not exposed and I was concerned about damage to exposed tubes from dogs, enthusiastic cleaners, and visiting urchins!

Have you heard the T8000? Read some more on here. IMO it is a weak overpriced amp. Sorry, I don't want to get negative. I would strongly say try and demo some other amps, or buy the BHSE and have done with it. The T8000 is barely ahead of my old 717 Stax amp, which was way behind my KGSShv, which was behind my Carbon. The BHSE is as good as the Carbon, maybe better. Don't buy the T8000, awful flat and thin sounding lack lustre performance. Stax make great HPs, but the amps, oh my.....

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #205 of 1,367
Have you heard the T8000? Read some more on here. IMO it is a weak overpriced amp. Sorry, I don't want to get negative. I would strongly say try and demo some other amps, or buy the BHSE and have done with it. The T8000 is barely ahead of my old 717 Stax amp, which was way behind my KGSShv, which was behind my Carbon. The BHSE is as good as the Carbon, maybe better. Don't buy the T8000, awful flat and thin sounding lack lustre performance. Stax make great HPs, but the amps, oh my.....

Let’s just get the guy to do his own adventure :). Everything is more fun that way, and no prices will be enough for such personal unique experiences

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #207 of 1,367
@roofus you may want to consider a mjolnir kgst. Spritzer has one listed for half the price of the t8000. It also has in board tubes. He also had a lightly used t8000 that he may be willing to deal on.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #208 of 1,367
Let’s just get the guy to do his own adventure :). Everything is more fun that way, and no prices will be enough for such personal unique experiences

I know, you are right. BUT I can't help giving what I have learnt (IMO) to the community. I mean, what would you do if you saw some guy walking into a train? Better sound is out there (much better). I hate that T8000 amp, it is a tweaked up old design I have been told, nothing new,I heard it at Can-Jam and it is underwhelming.
They could have done much better, so IMO Stax don't deserve the sales of it, head-amp do, or the DIY KG amps do. I would say ask around some more (quick) before it is too late.....

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #209 of 1,367
I just PM'd roofus. Hope it helps him.

IMO it is our responsibility as forum users to share our experiences, what we have found in our own searches and trails with gear. That is what this forum is about. I am not saying I know it all, far from it, but I had a top 009 setup for 2 years, and before that the 007s and the KGSShv off-board for 3 years. Plus before that many many Stax amps and most of the Lambda series over 20 years. 3 years ago I also spend a lot of time with the BHSE as well. So that is what I have shared here.

So yeah, I think it is our responsibility to put our views out there based on personal experiences. The other thing would be to watch a car crash, then do nothing. Even worse, laugh about it after. I am very happy if I have helped someone, and in many cases they PM me and thank me for it (in those cases). I am not after that though, I just love talking about audio!

Thoughts anyone?

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #210 of 1,367
The way you approached things was quite heavy handed. It's fair to point out options and considerations. Everyone has their own considerations not always purely based on performance or cost.

While the t8000 may not be up to par against high-end dyi offerings and it is quite expensive, a number of very experienced stax users have felt it's treated a bit unfairly because of comments from stax regarding it while under development. Stax expectations for it vs the t2.

Taking price out of the equation it seems to be good sounding amp with the right back end equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back