STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
May 3, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #151 of 1,367
Oh dear I knew I'd been away from here for too long. Wonder if these will be closer to the original Omega's? I Just dropped a grand on two new amps and 3 sets of cans to play with then I saw this thread dammit!!

May 3, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #152 of 1,367
Oh dear I knew I'd been away from here for too long. Wonder if these will be closer to the original Omega's? I Just dropped a grand on two new amps and 3 sets of cans to play with then I saw this thread dammit!!

Lol! Welcome to the...wait....never mind. You know you are more than happy to spend more

May 3, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #153 of 1,367
Probably not. According to the preliminary impressions, these are more like an SR-009, but without the brightness. It is still the same design, but with several years of further tweaking to improve it.

The original Omega's are quite a different design both in terms of the transducer (gold-plated copper mesh electrodes) and the way it was mounted to the chassis (not nearly as stiff)
It employs stronger diffuse-field equalization, so more 'out of the head' sound, but more coloration as well (I think it has some of that upper midrange emphasis that I dislike in most Lambdas, maybe less prominent on a BH/T2). So whether all this is good or bad, it is not the same thing.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #154 of 1,367
Probably not. According to the preliminary impressions, these are more like an SR-009, but without the brightness. It is still the same design, but with several years of further tweaking to improve it.

The original Omega's are quite a different design both in terms of the transducer (gold-plated mesh electrodes) and the way it was mounted to the chassis (not nearly as stiff)
It employs stronger diffuse-field equalization so more out of the head sound, but more coloration as well - whether that's a good or bad, it is not the same thing.
I keep hearing that 009S has less soundstage in comparison to 009 ?

May 3, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #157 of 1,367
I didn't read anywhere in the Japanese review to indicate a major change in the sound stage I suppose stax wouldn't change the 009 sound too much. I am quite surprised the pads haven't been optimised more it seems to be an area where substantial gains can be had.

May 3, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #158 of 1,367
Top-tier amp ? Who care ? It was tuned by T8000. That is top tier amp LoL!
AMP? I don't use no amp! (well I do just not the way I should) never had the money for the KG inspired amps and their like have owned 727, T1W, 323, SRD7'S. The only thing I've used with the voltage to get the dynamics are transformers.

May 3, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #159 of 1,367
It was obviously designed this way originally, so no reason to change it (unless you want to mess with the sound quite a bit), but the new mesh is probably be a little more transparent.
If you don't believe the engineers, well, then you can mess with those pads in any way you like.

May 3, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #160 of 1,367
I keep hearing that 009S has less soundstage in comparison to 009 ?

I've read this too, but at least for me back ground noise causes sounds stage to collapse. Maybe when these find there way into individuals collections we will see a different conclusion.

May 4, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #163 of 1,367
Do any of these improvements reduce the chance of channel imbalance issue?

Oh, they probably made sure the imbalance issue got worse, it’s such fun to have to service products :wink:

May 4, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #164 of 1,367
Oh, they probably made sure the imbalance issue got worse, it’s such fun to have to service products :wink:

LOL. I don't know if they think it is fun, but clearly not something they would lose sleep over since it is such a niche market, people who want it will buy regardless.

May 4, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #165 of 1,367
I am not sure if I want to get this or wait for an entirely new model. Having 007 and 009 already. They are not even my favorite headphones but I just can't help myself. I have the HE1 and I imagine it is different still but continues to be more to my liking. Of course I have yet to hear these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back